Yard sale find of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard sale find of the year

Well actually it's been a couple of years ago now. I only paid $1 for it. It's been setting on the shelf waiting on me to do something with it, and since I have a new to me Lagun knee mill, I decided I'd better get an arbor for this chuck. I've searched all the popular tool houses plus duck duck go, and Google, and the only one I could find came up on eBay out of India.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dmd...27184&_sacat=0

After watching some of the You Tube videos from the machinist over there, I wonder about the quality of this item. I wouldn't mind spending the 55 bucks, but if it has bad run out ,I wouldn't be a happy camper. So what do you fellows think, should I go for it or not??
    Gary Davison
    Tarkio, Mo.

Seems like R8 - M12 x 1.25 adopters are an endangered species. I could not find any sources other than Ebay. If you do buy it there, be sure to pay with a credit card so you can always get your money back. The seller does offer free returns.

Are you sure the basic chuck has that thread and not a Jacobs taper insert/adopter? All the Albreght chucks I can find seem to have Jacobs tapers and that makes sense as one of the key features of that brand of chuck is accuracy. Threaded chuck mounts are for $25 hand held drills, not precision tools. I looked at two sites that sell the Albreght brand adapters and neither of them had any with threads. The photo of the back of the chuck sure looks like there is an insert/adopter in there. Have you soaked it in penetrating oil (I like Kroil) and then tried to remove it? I would suggest something like a slide hammer (M12 bolt with a weight sliding on it).

PS: If you want to sell it, I will give you 10 times what you paid for it. But you pay the shipping.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      ...Are you sure the basic chuck has that thread and not a Jacobs taper insert/adopter?
      I agree. I've never seen an Albrecht chuck with a thread mount. Doesn't mean they don't exist but it would surprise me if they did.
      Get yourself a short bolt that fits the thread, a couple big washers and a pair of the Jacobsen chuck wedges and I think there's a
      good chance you'll pop an adapter out of the hole.

Come to think of it. what does the marking on the chuck say? It should have the mount style stamped right on the body...

Keith

Comment

No, I wouldn't risk $55 to find that either the adapter or the secondhand chuck of unknown provanance has runout.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

It does look like in the potato camera shot of the back of the chuck that there is an adapter in the chuck. Where did you see the M12 x 1.25 mating arbor listing on the chuck?

Comment

Jacobsen made lawn mowers.
            I agree, it looks like a bung stuck in the taper with female threads.
            Just get a bolt and some flat washers and tighten to extract it.
            But better to take the chuck apart and press the tapered bung
            outa there. Wedges are superfluous.

--D
            Last edited by Doozer; 07-23-2022, 08:56 AM.
            DZER

Comment

I too came upon an Albrecht chuck with a threaded shank mount, there was no indication stamped into the chuck body of the thread mount size. Like the OP's it was only a couple bucks at an estate sale even though it appeared almost as brand new. I bought a standard metric hex head bolt as a shank. Mine had a capacity of around 1/4" or maybe 8mm (it's been too long ago to remember all the details).

I don't recall ever using it. I didn't have much faith in the bolt as an accurate shank. Sold it for 15 bucks within the last year along with a few other Albrecht's with conventional Jacob's mounts at a shop cleaning sale.

Albrecht's are high quality, but generally I don't like them. They loosen on reversing their spindles and sell tighten under regular heavy use. Once they self tighten breaking their grip short of a pipe wrench on the knurled body is hard to do. I'd take a Jacobs keyed ball bearing super chuck in their place any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                I too came upon an Albrecht chuck with a threaded shank mount, there was no indication stamped into the chuck body of the thread mount size. Like the OP's it was only a couple bucks at an estate sale even though it appeared almost as brand new. I bought a standard metric hex head bolt as a shank. Mine had a capacity of around 1/4" or maybe 8mm (it's been too long ago to remember all the details)..
                They DO make a threaded mount chuck for mounting on a portable drill. These chucks max at at 1/4" and have a 3/8" x 24 TPI mount.

Comment

Threaded bodies used to be available from Albrecht. Years ago I bought a new body for my Albrecht 1-13 drill chuck that was threaded. I wanted it for a drill press I was restoring that had a Jacobs taper mount spindle that was badly damaged. I was able to machine the taper off, thread it and mount the Albrecht chuck. There was a internal straight bore before the thread for alignment. It spins perfectly true.

Comment

There is no mounting size stamped on the top of chuck, although it appears it could be a threaded insert. I'll have to disassemble and see.
                    Gary Davison
                    Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

That is a German made chuck for metric drills. You might be able to unload it to a Canadian or send it to me. I have four Albrecht chucks but I don't really like them. They self tighten to the point you have to use a pipe wrench to get the drill bit out. I buy Röhm chucks now. They have provisions for a wrench to loosen them if they get too tight.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by gld View Post
                        There is no mounting size stamped on the top of chuck, although it appears it could be a threaded insert. I'll have to disassemble and see.
                        No model umber stamped on it?
                        Avoid the headache, sent it to Black Forrest for proper disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                          That is a German made chuck for metric drills. You might be able to unload it to a Canadian or send it to me. I have four Albrecht chucks but I don't really like them. They self tighten to the point you have to use a pipe wrench to get the drill bit out. I buy Röhm chucks now. They have provisions for a wrench to loosen them if they get too tight.
                          Are you for real ? ? ?
                          When I see a problem, I just fix it.
                          All of my Albrecht chucks have wrench flats.
                          Because I made them.
                          Put the toolmaker vise on the surface grinder
                          and make your own too. Grind them right behind
                          the hood knurl, in the male threaded part of the
                          body. Then it also gives you wrench flats to
                          grip when taking the chuck apart. Pretty easy
                          thing to do in a machine shop.

---Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

This chuck project will have to be put on hold. I was in the middle of putting a DRO on my Lagun mill and just thought I would get an arbor ordered for this chuck so I wouldn't have to remove the one on my other mill. So back to the DRO I go.
                            Gary Davison
                            Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Well, I finally got the DRO installed :whoohoo: :cartwheel: and got the chuck disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Thank you Tom in this video:

It was really cruddy inside, and has some outside damage that will not effect its function. As you can see it did have a threaded insert. All I need now is a R8 adapter.

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by gld; 08-01-2022, 11:58 AM.
                              Gary Davison
                              Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Working...
                              X