Wife told me to buy a 3D printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife told me to buy a 3D printer

She came up to my shop and saw all the alu swarf on the floor from milling the fan bracket I posted about. I hadn't cleaned up yet. She very seriously told me she thought that was a big waste of material and money. She then told me I should build something I could melt the swarf down in and make more alu bars. Then she said couldn't I buy a machine that would just print out what I wanted to make. I told that yes those machines exist they are called 3D printers. She then asked why I didn't already own one? I told her one is on my short list of tools to buy. She told me I should buy one right away so I don't make such a mess.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Keep your eye on that woman. Women like that are in high demand. You are a lucky character.

Comment

She wants another horse
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Wow my wife has never been in my shop let alone told me to buy what I won't
        you are a lucky man

Comment

something smells... be very careful. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
            She wants another horse
            Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
            something smells... be very careful. :-)
            Ummm........That smell might be the new horse out in the barn? She's probably gonna get another horse eventually anyway, so there might as well be something new for the shop in the deal too.

So, what's the first part off the new printer going to be??

Comment

Thank you guys for ruining my happiness derived from my wife encouraging me to buy tools. I think you might be right. She has been especially nice to me lately. I am thinking back over the last few days and she has gone out of her way to be nice to me. She even brought a platter up to my office filled with a big thick Rib Eye steak, hash brown potatoes and fired eggs two days ago. I am screwed for sure. It must be either a really expensive horse or her sister is coming for a visit. God I hope it is an expensive horse.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Odd, my mrs is the same, she wanted a cement mixer for Christmas one year, a small Kango or hilti another, I see a pattern, she gave her horse to her dad years ago, very strange
                mark

Comment

I wish my wife would give about 15 horses to her dad. I wouldn't mind having 4 or 5 but 20 is too many. She tells me I should be happy that she doesn't have 30. I can't win.

Comment

I can’t imagine looking after 30 of the buggers, I worked on a stud farm for a good while mucking out etc as a kid, they were hard work, but the horses seemed to like me ( or the bag of pineapple chunks in my pocket) they hated the farmer, he was to be fair a bit cruel imho, whipping an animal to get what you want
                    mind I got used to getting drooled over by a bloody big Welsh cob stallion, loved playing, like a 18 hand 1/2 ton puppy.
                    Mark

Comment

Did you tell her how much the SLS machines that will print aluminum cost, though?
                      -paul

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        Thank you guys for ruining my happiness derived from my wife encouraging me to buy tools. I think you might be right. She has been especially nice to me lately. I am thinking back over the last few days and she has gone out of her way to be nice to me. She even brought a platter up to my office filled with a big thick Rib Eye steak, hash brown potatoes and fired eggs two days ago. I am screwed for sure. It must be either a really expensive horse or her sister is coming for a visit. God I hope it is an expensive horse.
                        Far, far from screwed. A wife that lets you pursue your hobbies and interests like she does is rare, but not priceless. The price is that you need to reciprocate from time to time. Money well spent. You're still a fortunate man no matter how you slice it. And don't forget the primary benefit with how those horses have helped to give your daughter focus and direction in life. That's where the priceless part comes in.

Comment

Not sure what these wife things are - can't find a STL file for one on Thiniverse. You know 3D printers only come in pairs filament and resin.

If anyone wants to talk 3D we have a nice little weekly zoom on the GaugeOne3DCircle in Groups.io that has been going for over 2 years now every Thursday. Alternates between 4pm and 7pm UK time to allow for east EU and USA participants. Although ostensibly G1 scale rail we seem to diverge into printing vulcan bombers, piper cubs, running the only surviving unmolested Porche LeMans car and well anything. Oh, we did have a few weeks discussing horseboxes (rail varieties) in the spring.

Comment

If you have an older car, a 3D printer that can do ABS is a good thing. A lot of plastic stuff on a car goes bad and breaks after 20 years. Stupid little fasteners, clips, various trim parts, etc that are no longer available, since even an NOS part is likely quite fragile by now.
                            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

You always do what your wife tells you?

Comment

Working...
                              X