Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I always wondered what that little hole in the Bridgeport was for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always wondered what that little hole in the Bridgeport was for.

I found a use for the other side of the Bridgeport. At my age, with a very bad back, I can't lift my RT or my Diving Head.

So I welded up this little crane. I know I could have put more support between the arm and the vertical stand, but it works fine for the weight I am moving.

The "V" wheel is something which is easy to find here and is used for making rolling doors for entrances to houses and buildings.

Here, everyone has a wall and bars. The local joke is that the criminals run free and the good people all live behind bars.

I pressed out the shaft of the "V" wheel and threaded each side, then pressed it back in. What a soft gummy metal what was!

I then used a slitting saw to split the nuts in half so they would fit on each side.

The toy chain hoist is a Harbor Fright special supposedly rated for 500 pounds. It lifts well, but you better hold both chains together

when letting it down or it will get away.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by davidwdyer; 07-25-2022, 07:59 PM.
    Vitَria, Brazil

Originally posted by davidwdyer View Post
    I found a use for the other side of the Bridgeport. At my age, with a very bad back, I can't life my RT or my Diving Head.
    I like it. I also am getting weaker as the years go on. That looks like a nice setup. I like your shop also.. What surprised me was that there is a harbor freight in Brazil. Thanks for posting. JR

Comment

Great idea!
      Kansas City area

Comment

There are many attachments that Bridgeport produced that mounted in the back, the spline attachment is likely the most well known.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
          There are many attachments that Bridgeport produced that mounted in the back, the spline attachment is likely the most well known.
          For mounting a cherrying head or a slotting head.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
            I knew that, but I thought it would be more fun to not know.
            Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

What surprised me was that there is a harbor freight in Brazil.
              I do get to the US at least once a year. On the way back the suitcases are always quite heavy for some reason.
              Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

Why is it that most home shop guys
                seem not to be able to weld
                even a wet booger to a frozen mailbox?
                Asking for a friend.

Nice crane build.
                --Doozer
                DZER

Comment

I like it . Thats very simple and smart.

Comment

Great idea david, I may steal your idea and build one for my Varnamo,hope it doesn’t tip over🤓

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, but grab your umbrella. Can you say "SNAP"! Say it real loud.

That looks like an awful stress riser point on the bottom of that CI bracket. I would add a counterweight to the back end of the boom. Today, not tomorrow.

But it does look like a nice accessory. I need something like that too. I am thinking about a storage table with an elevator top and a small crane at one corner.

Originally posted by davidwdyer View Post
                      I found a use for the other side of the Bridgeport. At my age, with a very bad back, I can't lift my RT or my Diving Head.

So I welded up this little crane. I know I could have put more support between the arm and the vertical stand, but it works fine for the weight I am moving.

The "V" wheel is something which is easy to find here and is used for making rolling doors for entrances to houses and buildings.

Here, everyone has a wall and bars. The local joke is that the criminals run free and the good people all live behind bars.

I pressed out the shaft of the "V" wheel and threaded each side, then pressed it back in. What a soft gummy metal what was!

I then used a slitting saw to split the nuts in half so they would fit on each side.

The toy chain hoist is a Harbor Fright special supposedly rated for 500 pounds. It lifts well, but you better hold both chains together

when letting it down or it will get away.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Paul, I agree with you. Hope the Bridgeport isnt disabled when she goes

Comment

Great idea!
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_86.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2010123
                            I would think that the impact forces generated by this slotting attachment are much greater than the ones from lifting a rotary table.
                            Helder Ferreira
                            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

A good idea assuming it can swivel sideways. I would add a balance weight on a rear extension to reduce the strain by half although that casting looks like it could hold a couple of tons.

Comment

Working...
                              X