• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bented View Post
    Control the conditions in your shop.
    Temperature
    Humidity

This will limit corrosion.
    The odd thing is that I only rarely have any issues with corrosion other than some special cases. This is one of those apparently. Nothing else near to the bench block suffers from any sort of rusting. So I'm inclined to lean on reggie_obe's earlier call of something gassing out from the old pad and causing the issue.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Put something else
      steel on the pad
      see if it rusts too.

-D
      DZER

Comment

Lead is indeed a good thought for damping.

Same thing as any other material, though, for wicking. That's if there is ever water there, such as from condensation, or dripping soluble oil, etc. Must be water there, if you find rust.

Maybe get the luan to soak up some oil?
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Lead is indeed a good thought for damping.

Same thing as any other material, though, for wicking. That's if there is ever water there, such as from condensation, or dripping soluble oil, etc. Must be water there, if you find rust.

Maybe get the luan to soak up some oil?
          I do in fact get corrosion from the water soluble oil on the mill and even drill press if it gets trapped in a way that prevents the water being able to evaporate. For that reason I took to using a coating of the heavy thick lathe and mill way oil on the bottom of the vise before seating it. The fairly thick stuff stopped the soluble oil wicking between and causing certain rust.

But I don't use that stuff around the bench block.

While I think sheet lead would work well I don't have any and have no idea where to find it easily. So I'll run with the UHMW PE for now. If I get more rust then I'll give a well treated bit of the luan plywood a try.

And for giggles I think I'll put a piece of clean degreased steel on that old rubber and see what happens. But in all these cases we're looking at some weeks out before there's any final answers.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I would glue the smooth side of the rubber to the underside of the plate and forget about corrosion.

Comment

Working...
            X