Shipping w/ McMaster-Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping w/ McMaster-Carr

McMaster Carr is a fairly well known industrial vendor.

They have a reputation for having everything. They don't. They have a LOT and often I look there when I can't find things elsewhere quickly. They have it more often than not.

They have a reputation for being expensive. It's deserved on some product areas. That's the cost of having so many things available quickly from one vendor. However often they are not the most expensive vendor for items, and sometimes they even have best price.

They have a reputation for good customer service. I've only heard one or two stories that made me go "huh?" That's pretty impressive considering their size and scope of product. Personally I have experienced exemplary customer service. When other people like the carrier cause problems McMaster has made sure I had the parts, tools, or materials I needed and said, "we'll worry about the finances later," often eating some of those extra costs to fix somebody else's mistake themselves.

During our recent supply chain interruptions I finally had one of my first out of stock issues on a common item. Something I buy from them by the hundreds. They didn't just back order it or string me along like so many vendors. They sent me a personal email within minutes letting me know it was out of stock, and I was able to order from another vendor to keep my own inventory up where it needs to be.

One of the biggest legitimate complaints I have heard about McMaster is you don't know what the shipping charges are going to be. You create your account, put your credit card on file (or open a net terms account), order your parts, and wait to find out how much the shipping will be when they ship it if you order online. I prefer to order on-line. It gives me the option of searching multiple options and selecting the best one for my application. Today I was ordering some stock, and I had to remember to switch the taxable setting. I noticed something else, but it didn't register until later. The website showed a calculated shipping charge before check out. It was a few minutes later when I received the tracking notifications that it dawned on me.

I don't know when it changed, but today when I checked out it showed me the shipping charge before I submitted the order.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

It’s been like that for a while now. Time gets away from me but it’s been well over a year, maybe 2 (or more).

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
      It’s been like that for a while now. Time gets away from me but it’s been well over a year, maybe 2 (or more).
      I just never noticed. LOL. I order from them fairly often too. Well a couple times a month anyway.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I’m not exactly positive but some things changed on their website some time back. From what I noticed it was mostly on the search function or how “keywords” or terms for stuff were pulled up.

At the time I thought it was kind of a downgrade but I suspect it was to make it a little more friendly for people that aren’t in industry and knowing all the correct terms.

It may have been around that time that the shipping started prices started showing up but I can’t really remember.

Comment

The search suggestions can be a bit annoying, but they don't really slow down the process, and once or twice they have been helpful.

Comment

Didn’t think it was that long ago because I had a surprise in mid-2020 and complained (it turned out that two different sized versions of an item shipped from different locations, so shipping was double): within a half-hour (they have 24/7 customer service) I got a response apologizing, refunding all shipping and letting me know I could ask for shipping cost before placing an order. After that incident I always asked for shipping charges until they started showing total changes in the cart.

The new system helps me decide what to order: if I’m getting some rod stock and I only need a short length but want some extra it’s usually cheaper to get two 12” lengths than one 24” due to shipping.
            Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Originally posted by ChazC View Post

Didn’t think it was that long ago because I had a surprise in mid-2020 and complained (it turned out that two different sized versions of an item shipped from different locations, so shipping was double).
              It’s been at least a year. I was doing purchasing for my department at the last place I worked. Shipping charges were showing up for sometime while I was doing it before I left and I haven’t been there for 9 months.

Comment

The new system helps me decide what to order: if I’m getting some rod stock and I only need a short length but want some extra it’s usually cheaper to get two 12” lengths than one 24” due to shipping.
                Yep , the shippers charge extra for longer packages. Its volume and longest length, it seems, aside from weight. Weight's the same, the shorter package seems to usiually be cheaper..
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

What really surprises me with McM is that they can’t secure some kind of flat rate shipping between the shipper and incorporated into product pricing.

Comment

The shipping companies have different rates for different distances. IIRC, there are about five or more zones from their Chicago warehouse across the US. The exact zones may vary for different shipping companies, but this applies to all shipping companies and to all customers. As far as I know, only the USPS has flat rates for the continental US and their rates can be quite high for large of heavy packages. If they will even take them at all.

Internet sellers like Amazon offer "free" shipping. BUT, look at their prices. The shipping cost is built into their prices. Amazon has warehouses all across the country so the costs are fairly constant for most locations in the continental US. McMaster does have more than one warehouse, but not nearly as many as Amazon or Walmart. So items from McMaster often travel further than those from Amazon.

What would be nice is if McMaster would allow the buyers to request shipping via the US Post office. Second day delivery at a fixed rate would be nice. But that would only work for small, light items.

What really surprises me with McM is that they can’t secure some kind of flat rate shipping between the shipper and incorporated into product pricing.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

different sized versions of an item shipped from different locations, so shipping was double): within a half-hour (they have 24/7 customer service) I got a response apologizing, refunding all shipping .
                      Well, that why I go there when I need to, cost... I get top notch shipping with them. It is local based I am sure. But it seems like I have ordered a piece and it was at my porch the same day. Reg shipping..

I have never had to return an item from MMC, its always stode up.

I do think it is stupid as F**k that they dont disclose the manufacture. And they are all top of the line producers. They say "what yer gonna get"

And you get some good stuff. .

I like them. Id like them more if I was working for some guy. I would be ordering off the hook. Just saying. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I do think it is stupid as F**k that they dont disclose the manufacture.
                        I agree with this. I will say though that there was been a few times that I needed to know the manufacturer and a call to customer service got the answer easily.

Comment

All you guys just please stop ordering from McMaster Carr.
                          All you do is complain about the smallest thing that you believe
                          is owed to you, and rant about it on the internet, ruining their public
                          perception. If you hate them so much, just stop buying from them.
                          I am sure they will not miss your business and the negative internet
                          banter will go away, and be better for them in the long run.
                          Go over to Harbor Freight and start touching yourself about how
                          great they are.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

I totally fail to see the problem.
                            McMaster is one of the best vendors out there.
                            Both for commercial work, and personal stuff.
                            If they have it, you'll have it the next day.

Maybe you all should try Amazon sometime.
                            And be sure to pet your kitty every day.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have zero issues with Mcmaster-Carr. Good service, and usually next day delivery. Shipping is no more than from anyone else, and if anything, is less. Shippers seem to be gouging on the basis of fuel again (with some justification)

The fuel issue may decrease, I just paid $3.69 per gallon for regular 87 octane. Diesel is still high, just not quite as high as before.
                              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
                              X