Shipping w/ McMaster-Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

I also have hundreds of pounds leftover from jobs over the decades, but I still run out of certain sizes or need something odd fairly frequently.
    The odd sizes? What would they be?

I take over sized pieces of stock and make it smaller for the customer in the shape they need.

It is very basic,, JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

The odd sizes? What would they be?

I take over sized pieces of stock and make it smaller for the customer in the shape they need.

It is very basic,, JR
      My stuff is anything but basic. Since I'm making custom designed widgets I can need anything from specific sized or telescoping tubing, to certain extrusions, or specific alloys. And it's easier to have 7/8 dia 6061 than constantly be turning down 1".

Comment

My stuff is anything but basic. Since I'm making custom designed widgets I can need anything from specific sized or telescoping tubing, to certain extrusions, or specific alloys. And it's easier to have 7/8 dia 6061 than constantly be turning down 1".
        I run into much the same thing. I have a bunch of different sizes of 6061 aluminum rectangular flat bar. One of the local metal yards that I used to buy from would get all uppity if I asked for something odd like 5/8x5. One guy with get down right condescending when he said you should just buy three quarter by six and cut it down. The thing is is I have a lot of parts I make with 5/8 by 5 and I would be throwing away time, material, and money on every single part. Same thing applies to other dimensions of aluminum flat bar I keep in stock.

​​
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

They came through again:

A few weeks ago I ordered a 1/2” slitting saw arbor (add-on to an order I had been assembling for a couple of weeks) - proudly made in USA, had a good rep and just what I needed for my collection of small saw blades. Last week I included the 5/8” version of the same arbor in my latest order because I found a handful of 5/8” hole saw blades mixed in with the 1/2” ones. However, when I received the order and checked the arbor the retaining screw didn’t bottom out: the hole was clogged with chips (expected in a cheap tool on eBay, but not from a “Made in USA” manufacturer. When I double-checked the other arbor, it had the same problem, just not as bad. I cleaned the chips out of both arbors and otherwise they are ok, but . . .

I messaged McM and got a response within the promised half-hour, apologizing for the issue and issuing a full refund for both arbors, no return necessary.

I’ll continue to shop around, but I’ll also keep building orders as I identify needs and place regular orders with McM.
          Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Originally posted by ChazC View Post
            They came through again:
            ............................... the retaining screw didn’t bottom out: the hole was clogged with chips (expected in a cheap tool on eBay, but not from a “Made in USA” manufacturer. ................................
            You've got it backwards. You SHOULD expect that in a "made in USA", and should NOT expect that from a low cost import.

Why?

Because the import can afford to pay the person to check for that, at their cheap rates. The USA manufacturer has to cut every corner to "compete with china". You found out which corner they cut.
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Now you can see that you'll save $10 by ordering 2 12" pieces rather than a 24" that's not in stock locally, or exactly how much more getting that 6' piece will cost than shorter stock.
              Yup. I needed 3 12” pieces of something for a rush job. My heart sank when I saw the 3’ and 4’ lengths was out of stock. Then I saw 3 12” pieces in stock!

-Roland
              Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Working...
              X