OT What are these

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT What are these

These have been around since I was a pup. They came out of a machinists tool box. I say machinists because there were some other tools I recognize. These have male and female ends that screw together but the female has a center in it that fills up the thing when together so they can hold nothing. Dont understand. They both have nice knurling. Made of aluminum. Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2010729

Maybe an apprentice machining exercise. A lot of machinists kept some of the first parts they made.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Those look like plugs for hydraulic screw together hoses used on some Hydrualic jacks and porta-powers.
      Gary Davison
      Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Trepanation practice.

--D
        DZER

Comment

They resemble brake line flaring dies for like a double flare.

JL........

Comment

Aluminum wouldnt work for dies

Comment

They look to me like the caps that go on the ends of pre-charged helium lines used in cryogenic coolers and the like. Or possibly pre-charged refrigerant lines. Aeroquip makes the fittings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	2010746

Comment

I was thinking blanking off caps and plugs too. But with stuff like that one never knows.

Heck, I run across things I made to allow doing a project at the time and can't for the life of me recall what the project was or what the item was for. How can I be expected to look at stuff you have that you didn't even make and know what it is ! ? ! ? ! ?
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Those are a bit like the ones for hydraulic fittings as well. Some hydraulic plugs are fancier.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                    Maybe an apprentice machining exercise. A lot of machinists kept some of the first parts they made.
                    Yeah, hard to tell from the pics but I would agree. Cap and Plugs turn in Test. Pretty good job, chitty metal :_ JR

I say bad metal cause it looks furry. JR
                    Last edited by JRouche; 07-31-2022, 01:35 AM.

Comment

You put grease in the one with the treppaned grove. Put the corresponding bearing in and then screw in the other side to pack the bearing!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                      X