Farm shop made tools etc. pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm shop made tools etc. pics

We took a week off to visit family in Alberta. On the trip we stopped at the old homestead to visit Janet's uncles. In the below pic is (left to right) Ian, Jack and Janet. Jack is 90 something but still drives a tractor. You will note his Indian tee shirt. It isn't an idle boast. In the background you can see the shop. There isn't a lot of farming done anymore as most of the property has been sold off. Between the three men that still live there they only have 3/4 section left. They still grow hay.

While we were there I took a few pics of some of the shop equipment. My favorite is the shop made drill press. It is a combination of whatever was handy and was built many years ago. It works great and Ian tells me he can drill up to one inch just fine with it.

There is also a wood lathe, Ian complains it isn't really rigid enough but works OK. He also made all the chisels.

This one is pretty cool, a grinder with a sliding tool rest on the front.

Last edited by Evan; 06-20-2006, 02:32 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I sure like the design on the last pic of the grinder. I've wanted something to do planar blades on and that looks really simple to accomplish.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

LOL... "only" 3/4 section left.

That is some fine looking shop made tools. I can only hope someone speaks of mine so kindly.

Comment

Just a couple of more items:

The main tractor.

Also, a wood burning stove made with a pair of drums. You can buy a reasonably priced casting kit that includes the fire door and a couple of other parts. You supply the rest. This has been in use for a long time and is still in good condition. It throws enough heat to heat the shop even in winter and the shop isn't insulated.

Comment

I really like the wood plank floors. I wish I had enough cash to do that with the addition. Gives the place an "ole time look". Reminds me of my grandparents house in Oklahoma. Lost six cents in the floor and never did get it back. Could have bought a Coke and stick candy for that! The worst part was I worked half a day cleaning out the barn for it.

Does the top barrel act as an additional heat exchanger? Them must be some heavy duty barrels. The one's I use for burning paper last about six months.

Comment

Yep, top barrel is a heat exchanger. When it's really going that chair is about as close as you want to get for any length of time.

The wood floor and, for that matter, all the wood in the shop and the houses was cut and milled by Ian and Jack. They built that farm from the ground up.

Shop interior:

It's a really nice shop with lots of room. They don't have a metal lathe as one wasn't needed when the farm was in full operation. Janet's grandfather also lived there and had a shop in the town of Wildwood nearby with a good sized lathe and other machines. He was a master machinist so valuable that he wasn't allowed to serve in the armed forces in the UK during WWII. He also could not say anything about what he did do and so was scorned by people who thought he wasn't doing his part during the war. It is likely he was building something along the line of bombsights.

Comment

Look like my kinda guys

Nice looking shop they have.Really like the woodlathe.

Them barrel stoves are nice,guy down the road from here has one,but his has a 1/4hp fan and dust on the side that blows air between the two drums,his heats the whole 60x120 in a matter of minutes,he only burns a couple arm loads a day when it's cold.

Under that stove,is that an original White Engine company sign? If it is they have the stove on a $300 antique
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I like the pictures. The grinder looks like it has a flat belt pully with a "V" belt wraped around it. I think that the farmers in bygone days was a master of all crafts or they did not survive.

I know that is the way it was when I was a kid. The machines were not pretty but they worked.
                Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

White Rose

That is a White Rose Oil Co. sign. It is the one that used to hang out at the street on a big post. They used to have stations all over Alberta, along with North Star, B/A (then Gulf) and others, all gobbled up by Petro Canada and the other majors. Used to live right next door to a White Rose Station in my early years.

Comment

I believe that Janet's grandfather was a White Rose dealer and that is the sign from the shop in town. It was sold some time before he passed on. I wish they had kept the metal lathe although I wouldn't have room for it. It had something like a 9 or 10 foot bed.

The pulley on the grinder probably is a flat belt pulley but has a proper vee belt groove machined in it. It makes a nice flywheel for the stone.

My wife did a lot of work on this farm and the first vehicle she learned to drive was a tractor. My daughter has also driven the tractor shown above when she was maybe three years old (me helped a bit )

Comment

Evan,
                      Welcome Back
                      George from Conyers Ga.
                      Remember
                      The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Beautiful countryside. Pretty farm. Thanks for sharing Evan.(gotta get out of Illinois)

Comment

evan,you,ve taken some great pics...........

Evan,,, thanks for those pics and a bit of history concerning these two gentlemen. That drill press appears to be operated with a tractor steering wheel, actually looks to me like an 8N model wheel. Also noticed the wheel flanges on the grinder, being a bit stout,, wondering if possibly they could have been off a buzz saw? Unusual to me anyway are the square notches in that log building.The barrel stove kits you mention ,, i reconize as Cole Creek name, i had two of them, and they were originally sold and cast in Verona Ont., then Lee Valley tools were selling them when i bought mine in the late 70,s. Mine i bought with the cast leg kit also. Yes i,ve used barrels like that, seen them in peoples basements for heat, and they DO WORK!!!My friend who has a welding shop is still using his. When i put mine together, you could buy damaged 45 gal gas barrels, they were heavier gauge, and much heavier flanges. Made a great stove, untill all this CSA approved laws stuff came out , beleive that,s why Lee Valley quit selling them, not approved= no insurance coverage!!In the 1950,s my dad,s White Rose station had just that same sign. Thanks again for posting these great pics of a period that is FAST disappearing,, and tell these gentlemen how much we enjoyed the pics of their shop and inventivness!! Ray in N. Ont.

Comment

I still use a similar, although not as heavily built barrel stove. Mine is also double drum, with a Sotz kit. Stamped parts, not cast. According to previous owners, it's been in place for about 20 years. No sign of drum burnout. They might be gas drums too, or maybe herbicide, big thick flanges and they look like they were galvanized, very thick walls. My shop is about 32 X40 and insulated, but even in 40 below, like was said, it only takes a couple armfuls a day to get it t-shirt hot in there. I'm in farm country too, and every guy's shop you go into has old homebuilt machines like that. It's really wild. My places has a homebuilt chicken plucking machine and a home built pea sheller, and most of my impements are either homebuilt or modified from larger ones or horsedrawn ones. Everybody has a junkpile that would be worth a fortune to a collector.

Comment

That's a nice set-up. I like the wood floors in the shop...easy on the feet after a few decades. What kind of underfloor support is there? How large are the joists, how are they supported?

Down to 3/4 section? What did they start out with? Here in the states, the Homestead Act of 1862 ( I think it was 1862) allowed for 1/4 section per homestead. It's hard for me to imagine trying to work 160 acres with only a couple of oxen or horses and a plow.

Comment

Working...
                              X