I think It's Time To Find A New Hardware Supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think It's Time To Find A New Hardware Supplier

I ran down to the local "industrial" hardware store to get a handful of M6 flats. When I got home and dumped the bag out this is what I found.

I'm getting tired of having to pick through everything I buy to sort out the rejects and waste time cleaning the rest of them up. Varying thicknesses as well as ragged edges on the underside both

on the OD and ID.

This isn't the first time and this place never sold crap like this until recently. They must be buying the cheapest crap they can get.

JL.............

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220802-130631.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2011125

I needed a bunch of 5/16" nuts so I went to our local farm supply store - the least expensive place to buy hardware by the pound. Anyway "somebody" had restocked the bin of 5/16" nuts with 1/4" nuts. I had to sort out the ones I needed to fill the bag.

As I was checking out, I mentioned the problem to the cashier.

"Yep, probably some kids threw a couple of nuts back into the wrong bin."

"Ummm . . . No. Most of the nuts in the bin were the wrong size. I had to dig to find enough of the ones in this bag."

No comment - and deer in the headlights look.

The moral of the story? Never just grab a handful of hardware. Sort though the bin to make sure you are getting what you want. Additionally, I also physically screw the nut on the bolt when I am buying bolts with nuts to fit. It is very hard on my Fun Meter, when I get home and find out I have 12 each 1/4" nuts - and two of them are metric.

Comment

Joe, as we are in the same area, who are you talking about?
      if I need a lot of good hardware, I go to Rumetco on bear street in Syr.
      They used to have a place in Auburn too.

Sid

Comment

This is nothing new. I left my job in the hardware store in 2006, I am STILL using hardware(fasteners) that were pulled out and then left. The fastener salesman would scoop them up and dump them in a can. When he got a pile he would bring it to me and say “get rid of this”

Comment

Originally posted by 6270 Productions View Post
          I needed a bunch of 5/16" nuts so I went to our local farm supply store - the least expensive place to buy hardware by the pound. Anyway "somebody" had restocked the bin of 5/16" nuts with 1/4" nuts. I had to sort out the ones I needed to fill the bag.

"Ummm . . . No. Most of the nuts in the bin were the wrong size. I had to dig to find enough of the ones in this bag."

The moral of the story? Never just grab a handful of hardware. Sort though the bin to make sure you are getting what you want. Additionally, I also physically screw the nut on the bolt when I am buying bolts with nuts to fit. It is very hard on my Fun Meter, when I get home and find out I have 12 each 1/4" nuts - and two of them are metric.
          Occasionally a different size nut or screw will find it's way into the wrong bin and I'll get stuck with it. Mostly happens with the smaller stuff.
          And I didn't grab these out of the bin, one of the counter people did. I never gave it a thought. I have picked through stuff before, they don't seem to mind me doing that but I have been asked why I'm so fussy.

JL....................
          Last edited by JoeLee; 08-02-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
            Joe, as we are in the same area, who are you talking about?
            if I need a lot of good hardware, I go to Rumetco on bear street in Syr.
            They used to have a place in Auburn too.

Sid
            Sid, I've been going to Rumetco for years. They do have better quality stuff there and a lot more of a selection. Sure miss the local store. But sometimes I need something right away and can't spend two hours coming and going.

This company has some really nice looking hardware. https://www.miltoncat.com/getattachm...spx?lang=en-US

JL..............
            Last edited by JoeLee; 08-02-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Cashier isn't paid enough to care. Certainly not a living wage.
              Doesn't work on the sales floor or in that department either.

Comment

Probably some lazy adult that threw a couple handfuls back in the wrong bin. I see this a lot, since I'm the guy that does the bolt and nut inventory at work and has to sort stuff out every time I make a pass through the bins.It's also why inventory takes 2 solid days instead of 2 hours. Too many customers could care less, it's not their time and money that's being wasted.

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

McMaster Carr is sure looking good right now, eh ?

-D
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    McMaster Carr is sure looking good right now, eh ?

-D
                    Perhaps, if you want to pay $12 to ship 50 cents worth of washers.

JL.............

Comment

But then I could actually use them for my project
                      and get the job done. Spending time trying to clean up
                      bogus washers on a lathe or sander is a crazy time waste.
                      I would gladly pay $12.50 to move my project forward
                      and I have absolutely done so in the past.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Reading this I find I’m pretty fortunate with the fastener supplier in my city. They have a huge variety and you can buy what you want in the quantity you want. Price is reasonable as well. And the bins are well organized!
                        Sorry for your unfavorable fastener experience.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I ran down to the local "industrial" hardware store to get a handful of M6 flats. When I got home and dumped the bag out this is what I found.

I'm getting tired of having to pick through everything I buy to sort out the rejects and waste time cleaning the rest of them up. Varying thicknesses as well as ragged edges on the underside both

on the OD and ID.

This isn't the first time and this place never sold crap like this until recently. They must be buying the cheapest crap they can get.

JL.............
                          Looks like the washers my employer used to get from Lawrence Screw Products, although in that case we would get 1000s at a time and only a small percentage were bad.

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if there's anyone in Bangor, but sucks because it means 4 hours of my day is gone at least if I have to leave the island. Paying for shipping with McMaster Carr looks pretty good.

Comment

Other than for something that can’t wait, if I don’t have what I need in stock I add my hardware needs to my carts on Bolt Depot ir McM; even with shipping I save money and get what I want.
                              Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Working...
                              X