Tool post grinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool post grinder.

Here's my tool post grinder I made a few years back: I bought a cheap $30 Ozito rotary tool and made the fitting for it.. The fitting bolts in the toolpost and is adjustable for height and thus angle of grind. I use it mostly for sharpening end mills. Some use these type tools for grinding chuck jaws, although I don't recommend using it for that unless the jaws are badly spread, every grind you make on the Jaws increases the size of the smallest piece of stock you can clamp in the Jaws. Besides that, self centering three jaws never clamp the material with the same concentricity.
    Attached Files

Well cobbled, I noticed that ozito branded stuff was in a local big box store called Homebase, I asked a girl there who said Homebase was owned by an Australian concern, which I was unaware of, everyone own everyone else over here, screwfix is B&Q, etc etc, are ozito actually any good?, I’ve never bought any of their offerings,.. yet
    mark

Comment

I am curious how you sharpen end mills with such a setup.

Comment

Homebase was owned by Wesfarmers in Australia, who own hardware retailer Bunnings here. They sold Homebase in 2016 for about £1 after the venture failed. Ozito is a Bunninga brand and some of it is quite good.

Nev.

Comment

I like that! I've been looking for a tool post grinder design that suited my fancy for a while now. I might just have to make one🙂

Comment

One thing I noticed, though I have not yet had cause to use it, is that the standard cylindrical handpiece of a Foredom fits perfectly in an *XA boring-bar toolholder (the 1" one, I recall, but I can check). For those who don't want to splash out on a Foredom, there are knockoffs on ebay for something like sixty bucks that work quite well - search for 'flexible shaft rotary tool", and no "that's what she said" jokes* please. I picked up one of the cheapos to keep by the wood tool sharpening area; haven't had a problem with it.

* "a vertical piston-drive threshing machine"

Comment

Ozito is the same as Einhell, the brand is not a Bunning made tool, rather, just sold exclusively by them.
              Ozito make a huge range of tools, the Xchange line being the best. Quite good for a budget tool. I have a suite of both Ozito and Milwaukee tools. Funnily enough I seem to use the Ozito ones the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                I am curious how you sharpen end mills with such a setup.
                It's not difficult, just look at it, I'm sure if you look long enough it will be clear.

Comment

Is the clamping force of the bolt that holds the 2 parts together enough to keep the clamping ring from slipping and rotating? Seems to me that vibration would loosen that bolt unless I missed something here.
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

No, it's not tight enough, it comes loose and wrecks the lathe. I've been through 6 lathes using this thing.

Comment

I have a similar set up using a flexible shaft Dremel -- a poor mans Foredom !! works reasonably well but one concern is the rigidity of the bearings and even more so with the hand held units - thoughts?
                      John
                      Last edited by redgrouse; 10-16-2022, 12:24 PM.
                      Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Comment

What sort of runout and endfloat do you get such a tool if you are serious about a toolpost grinder?

Comment

Working...
                        X