Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Any off the shelf 'wireless relay' for 120AC or 12VDC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    On the other hand some folks I know along with myself will leave our LED under counter lights on as low level walking around lights that don't blind us in the evening. So I'd venture to suggest that it would be nice to have the undercounter light as a separate control. And that would put us back to the idea of the RF switched outlet I found in my earlier post.
    That works for some people. When I built my own kitchen I put the under cabinet lights on a separate switch, and my wife would never turn them on! She can be bizarre about not turning on lights in a room, I can find her working or reading in near darkness.

Unlike some kitchens, this kitchen was not designed to be properly lit without them, having only a ceiling fan with multiple bulbs in the center which does not give you good light on the work surfaces. I ended up rewiring it so that it goes on with the main light. After that when I had rental apartments wired, I just had the under cabinet lights switched with the main light.

Comment

Gotcha! I hope you find a good solution.

A buddy's wife is much the same other than she'll be in a dark room in a dark house with just a single light on her book. Anyone outside could follow her path thru the house from the lights in her path going on for the trip away from the one island of light to the destination then going dark again on a path back to the island of illumination.

I literally walked her through the cost to run a set of four 9W LED room lights being about 0.3 cents per hour if they are all left on. That's not each either. Power up my way is currently 8 cents/Kw-Hr up to some amount that few folks ever use up other than perhaps summer and AC season. Then 12cents/Kw-Hr after that. 4 x 9W is 36 watts. So the 8 cents of power will run the lights for just shy of 28 hours. Or 0.3 cents per hour for all four running and making the house looked at least lived in.

I suspect that you'd end up with the same blank stare as I got? And the place still looks dark all the time?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The lack of desire for additional illumination may be no more than a simple preference, rather than having anything whatsoever to do with energy use. Maybe it feels more comfortable or intimate, and could easily be subconscious (it just feels 'right' or more natural).
        With the female of our species, who can know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
          Is the system wireless? I have an inexpensive box that turns on the vacuum when I turn on the sander.
          Yes, it is wireless between the sensors and the motor switch part. As mentioned in post #14, it isn't particularly small but you can 'hide' the receiver if need be. All in all, it would probably be adaptable to what you want to do, but probably isn't the way you want to do it.
          Southwest Utah

Comment

You gotta love them!

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            Gotcha! I hope you find a good solution.

A buddy's wife is much the same other than she'll be in a dark room in a dark house with just a single light on her book. Anyone outside could follow her path thru the house from the lights in her path going on for the trip away from the one island of light to the destination then going dark again on a path back to the island of illumination.

I literally walked her through the cost to run a set of four 9W LED room lights being about 0.3 cents per hour if they are all left on. That's not each either. Power up my way is currently 8 cents/Kw-Hr up to some amount that few folks ever use up other than perhaps summer and AC season. Then 12cents/Kw-Hr after that. 4 x 9W is 36 watts. So the 8 cents of power will run the lights for just shy of 28 hours. Or 0.3 cents per hour for all four running and making the house looked at least lived in.

I suspect that you'd end up with the same blank stare as I got? And the place still looks dark all the time?
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I have a non-wireless version of that type of relay. I turn my saw on and the vacuum starts up. But both the saw and the vacuum are plugged into the relay.

I did not suggest it as I was not aware of wireless versions. It may work, but I would check on the current required in the "saw" circuit. Since they are intended for shop usage with tools that draw many amps. Your existing light probably draws well under one amp and may not trip the relay.

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

Yes, it is wireless between the sensors and the motor switch part. As mentioned in post #14, it isn't particularly small but you can 'hide' the receiver if need be. All in all, it would probably be adaptable to what you want to do, but probably isn't the way you want to do it.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Comment

My under counter LED lights are on 24/7 I think they draw like 30 watts or less.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                  My under counter LED lights are on 24/7 I think they draw like 30 watts or less.
                  You know, that's not worst idea put out here. I'm really only talking about 2 18" cabinets straddling the range. Being on 24/7 as a nightlight could be a feature not bug! Sure takes the hassle out and the draw would be around 6w. If the tenant isn't on board they can simply unplug the supply.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

You know, that's not worst idea put out here. I'm really only talking about 2 18" cabinets straddling the range. Being on 24/7 as a nightlight could be a feature not bug! Sure takes the hassle out and the draw would be around 6w. If the tenant isn't on board they can simply unplug the supply.
                    Oh they can be turned off and dimmed but why? In most cases that's all we need for light.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Mine too. Two in the kitchen and two more in the laundry. I have several in the shop, but I do turn those off when I am not using them.

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Comment

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Interruptor-u...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
                        Helder Ferreira
                        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                          Nope. I want the secondary system switched on when the primary system is, not using a fob.

Comment

If one were to run 6W for 24/7 it would take 1000W-hr/6W= 167 hours to consume the 1Kw-hr. That's 6.9 days. So for even some of the worst areas where power is up around 12 cents per Kw-Hr we're looking at 12 cents a week. Or $6.24 per year.

Yep, I'd call that a pretty reasonable cost where it's likely to cost between 3 and 5 times that much to find the switching solution you're looking for.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

OK, you are going to be stubborn. This may not be pretty, but it should work.

First get a wireless, battery powered switch that can be attached to a wall anywhere (in range):

Click image for larger version

Name:	WirelessWallSwitch.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2011942

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SkyLink-...6&gclsrc=3p.ds

Then get TWO of these relay/receivers:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WirelessReceiver.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2011943

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SkyLink-...-318/204177948

Choose your three locations (switch and the two relay/receivers) so there is a line of sight from the switch to both receivers.

You are going to have to get a bit creative about mounting the relay/receivers. First, they go INSIDE the wall outlet boxes or in an APPROVED enclosure that mounts on the outside of those outlet boxes. The switched outlets will also need to be mounted with a box that can hold TWO duplex outlets so there is space for one outlet and the receiver/relay. And it may need to be extra deep to hold the relay/receiver.

You will need use a plastic enclosure or have a plastic cover on the outlet boxes to allow radio waves to reach the receiver.

NOW, your original light plugs into or is spliced to the leads of the first relay/receiver. And your across-the-room light plugs into the second relay/receiver. The ONE switch will operate the lights in both locations.

Adding some sort of current or light sensing device is NOT the way to go. They simply are not commonly made for applications like this. Converting the original light to the same remote control that is used for the added light is a far better way to proceed.

That was the result of just a quick internet search for "light sense, wireless remote control relay for light". And the devices shown were on Home Depot's web site. There are, no doubt, many other devices that can work. I am not going to spend time looking at them all. That is your job if you don't like this, first answer.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

Comment

Paul Alciatore yeah, assuming that you can sync the 2 receivers to the one transmitter, something you used to be able to do with aircraft RC and can't anymore, that looks like it would work. I guess I'll do some research on those.

Comment

Working...
                                X