OT new ebay scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT new ebay scam

I always give feedback on ebay, it helps other buyers decide who to buy from. The last 2 times I started to give feedback, filling in the stars, then "positive" and the written comment last, the written feedback had already been filled in with glowing tributes. Both pre written tributes were identical, although the products bought were very different.The only way to get round this was to write the feedback first.
    Last edited by old mart; 08-05-2022, 01:30 PM.

I just left feedback on eBay nothing like that happened. I have left thousands of product feedbacks and never seen anything like that. Is it doing that from every vendor or just that one? That is weird I must say.

Comment

Your browser is 'autofilling' the entry, just like it does with addresses and such.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Yeah, auto-complete.

Comment

My browser is Firefox and it has never been set to autocomplete. One of the sellers is in Scotland and the other is in Portugal. I have an ebay count of about 1500 and only the last two have had this problem.

Comment

As ebay scams go, that sounds pretty mild. At least it doesn't seem to have cost you any money.
            'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Are you sure auto complete is not turned on. Firefox gets frequent updates and they may have it set that way in one of them.

Originally posted by old mart View Post
              My browser is Firefox and it has never been set to autocomplete. One of the sellers is in Scotland and the other is in Portugal. I have an ebay count of about 1500 and only the last two have had this problem.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                -eBay can have it autocomplete. So many of their sellers are bulk dealers, that no one writes individual feedback anymore. It's all cut-and-pasted, and thus, meaningless. The only ones that mean anything are negatives, and those are erased after a year anyway, so who cares?

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

It's nothing to do with autocomplete. The example text displayed is determined by the choice of positive, neutral, or negative.

However, while it's displayed the character count remains at 0/500 - i.e. the text is just ghosted. It can't be edited - as soon as you type any character it disappears...

It's just a misguided attempt to help people understand the categories - not a 'scam'.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington View Post
                    It's nothing to do with autocomplete. The example text displayed is determined by the choice of positive, neutral, or negative.

However, while it's displayed the character count remains at 0/500 - i.e. the text is just ghosted. It can't be edited - as soon as you type any character it disappears...

It's just a misguided attempt to help people understand the categories - not a 'scam'.

Cheers
                    I agree.
                    Nev.

Comment

I make sure my browser is set for maximum security, no autocomplete, no passwords or usernames remembered, no location, either. Firefox is easier than edge to set up, slightly. I will have to wait until I buy something else on ebay to find if it is still active. The feedback recommendation was more than I have ever used, about 5 lines of glowing testimonial, I wish I had copied it out when I had the chance, it would make some people want to puke.

Comment

I happened to me as well just the other day. I didn't realize I could put the feed back in before I rated it tho. It pissed me off!!!

Comment

I must admit I didn't try overwriting the text, I just wrote my feedback first before it had a chance to appear.

Comment

This happened to me the other day - threw me for a minute. I think it is a new feature they just invented but can be overwritten.

Comment

I'm not surprised but at least you found a work around.

JL...........

Comment

Working...
                              X