Mitutoyo electronic caliper is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitutoyo electronic caliper is dead

I picked up a Mitutoyo 8" electronic caliper at a used goods store. Naturally, the battery (SR44 type) was dead. Of course, I didn't consider the possibility of leakage and corrosion. The battery compartment didn't look too bad, but I've been unable to get the thing to work.

Tried a paper napkin soaked in rubbing alcohol over a pencil eraser and used a drop of Corrosion-X on the battery. Also tried Red Cramolin. No joy.

Any ideas?

It came with what must be a low-end Starett mic; it has no friction or ratchet thimble, so the deal isn't a total loss.

Interestingly, I have a HF digital caliper, and the electronic part appears to be made by the same outfit.

Originally posted by jdunmyer View Post
    I picked up a Mitutoyo 8" electronic caliper at a used goods store. Naturally, the battery (SR44 type) was dead. Of course, I didn't consider the possibility of leakage and corrosion. The battery compartment didn't look too bad, but I've been unable to get the thing to work.

Tried a paper napkin soaked in rubbing alcohol over a pencil eraser and used a drop of Corrosion-X on the battery. Also tried Red Cramolin. No joy.

Any ideas?

It came with what must be a low-end Starett mic; it has no friction or ratchet thimble, so the deal isn't a total loss.

Interestingly, I have a HF digital caliper, and the electronic part appears to be made by the same outfit.
    It's possible it's a knock off aka counterfeit. Ebay and Amazon have been flooded with them for years. Clough42 just did a detailed video on how to tell if yours are real or fake.
    Ever wondered if those too-good-to-be-true deals on Mitutoyo calipers you find on eBay and other marketplaces are legitimate? Wonder no more. I bought a co...

If yours are legit, try putting a new battery in, then holding down both the on/off and origin buttons simultaneously for a few seconds and see if it's lights then.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Lemon juice dissolves the white stuff

Comment

I use baking soda and water on a Q-tip.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
          I use baking soda and water on a Q-tip.
          Ummm, why would baking soda clean up seepage from an alkaline battery?

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

After seeing a YouTube video showing cleaning up a device that had a corroded, leaky battery using white vinegar on a Q-tip, I've used the technique many times always with success. Brush off any dried corrosive material first, then a Q-tip with vinegar, followed by another Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol. This has worked for me every time.

Comment

I don't know the chemistry, it always works for me.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Show pics of the battery area without the battery in it. Sometimes the corrosion will take out one of the copper traces underneath the battery.

I have used CLR on a Q-tip to dissolve the battery residue. I believe that it is phosphoric acid based (weak acid) and slightly stronger than vinegar. I have noticed that these calipers have a battery holder that isn't the best. Be sure that you lift up the center terminal so that contact is made with the battery.

Comment

Lemon juice always makes it fizz and cleans right up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Ummm, why would baking soda clean up seepage from an alkaline battery?

-js
                    lemon juice will, so does phosphoric.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

It's possible it's a knock off aka counterfeit. Ebay and Amazon have been flooded with them for years. Clough42 just did a detailed video on how to tell if yours are real or fake.
                      Ever wondered if those too-good-to-be-true deals on Mitutoyo calipers you find on eBay and other marketplaces are legitimate? Wonder no more. I bought a co...

If yours are legit, try putting a new battery in, then holding down both the on/off and origin buttons simultaneously for a few seconds and see if it's lights then.
                      Thank you for this excellent video. If only this guy could compare the mechanical accuracy of the real and counterfeit calipers by "calibrating" them on a few gage blocks...
                      So far my 6" Mitutoyo looks to be original, but I am going to do the current consumption test just like the guy in the video did. This test is an eye opener and explains why batteries do not last in some measuring instruments.

Comment

My 6" Mitutoyo is on the way out after 32 years. I have taken the thing to bits and used Servisol switch cleaning lubricant on it with only temporary improvements. Pity, mechanically, it is still smooth and in good condition. The next step will be to see if the electronics from one of the clones can be used to replace the original parts.
                        If you intend to dismantle yours, then you will need a set of JIS crosspoint screwdrivers.
                        Last edited by old mart; 08-29-2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

hmmmmm..... my Kanon mechanical caliper that is over 40 years old (I bought new) is still working. Ancient MIT 12" and ancient "Peacock" brand 12"calipers are still working fine and are accurate. So far no mechanical measuring device I have has failed, not even the ones over 100 years old.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

lemon juice will, so does phosphoric.
                            Agreed. That was my point.

-js
                            There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

So far no mechanical measuring device I have has failed, not even the ones over 100 years old.
                              Hope your eyes don't go to crap. I can't read a conventional mic any more. I've been using an electronic caliper for years now and find even a HF unit to be OK. Albeit with a shorter battery life than I'd like.

It's hell to get old.

Comment

Working...
                              X