Did some laser engraving today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did some laser engraving today

Anyone else here have their own laser? I bought one a while back and have been very happy with it. I was almost going to buy a CO2 laser but so happy I stumbled on a Fiber laser before spending the cash. For what I do the Fiber laser is perfect as it is capable of deep engraving and can cut through most metals up to about .050" with multiple passes.

Got a little too aggressive with this one but once I dialled the frequency and loop settings I got exactly what I was after.

A bit off center but I tweaked that after....

Last edited by RSG; 08-29-2022, 08:48 PM.
    Ontario, Canada

Looks great,
    What's the name and model number of the laser, I couldn't tell from the video.
    Would it do .050 stainless steel?
    Thanks,
    Larry

Comment

I own a 40 watt CO2 right now and had a 20 Watt Fiber in the past but tried to get out of the lasering business. Now I am looking to sell the CO2 and get another Fiber. The CO2 was easy to learn, the Fiber not so much. If your not Tecki or computer Savey you will have a tough time learning the settings. I did make money with it, but got tired of the hassle of dealing with people.
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by metalfixer View Post
        Looks great,
        What's the name and model number of the laser, I couldn't tell from the video.
        Would it do .050 stainless steel?
        Thanks,
        Larry
        It's from Cloudray online, 30 Watt with a Raycus power source. I've had success cutting through non ferrous metals .050" but haven't tried cutting stainless that thick. I have deep engraved stainless and O1 to depths of .020" though without a problem. I think you'd want something with more power if that's your goal.
        Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
          I own a 40 watt CO2 right now and had a 20 Watt Fiber in the past but tried to get out of the lasering business.
          Ya, I definitely have no interest in doing any business with it. I only use it for my own stuff.

Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just want to add to what he said, dealing with EZCad software is a big issue, if your in the market for one try to get one that is compatible with Lightburn a new US company doing us Laser owners a big favor and writing good software to replace the crappy Chinese.

Comment

J to replace the crappy Chinese.
              I've heard of light burn, but what is it that you don't like about EzCad? I haven't had any issues with it as per say. The setting adjustments don't really make sense but there seems to be quite the network of guys out there willing to share info on it, at least as I've found so far.
              Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RSG View Post

I've heard of light burn, but what is it that you don't like about EzCad? I haven't had any issues with it as per say. The setting adjustments don't really make sense but there seems to be quite the network of guys out there willing to share info on it, at least as I've found so far.
                You can download and use the Trial Version and see, its much simpler than EzCad especially when it comes to the Hatch and other settings. It will run my CO2 but I use Corel Draw now and just Export a BMP file into LaserCAD without issues. But some people maybe can not afford Corel?

Comment

You can download and use the Trial Version and see, its much simpler than EzCad especially when it comes to the Hatch and other settings. I use Corel Draw now and just Export a BMP file into LaserCAD without issues. But some people maybe can not afford Corel?
                  Thanks I'll look at it but personally I don't find EzCad that difficult to navigate. As for Corel Draw, I have that too and use it alot.

Regarding your choice of filter extensions, curious why you use a raster based filter to export your files instead of a vector based model like DXF or AI? You'll get much better results using a vector model than a bitmap.
                  Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have found in the CO2 software it makes zero difference, in EzCad yes, vectors DXF and then Hatched .

I think I am going to order a fiber same as yours. The one I ordered last time was straight from China and with shipping and import fees it was over $5k. It was only 20watts!!

I will sell my rarely used CO2.

Comment

Rsg
                      Great looking work, I can't seem to get your video to run.

Hal

Comment

I think I am going to order a fiber same as yours.
                        Of all the Chinese companies I reviewed I found Cloudray to be the most reliable. They now have a warehouse in the US as well making it easier to buy from. About the only advice I can offer after speaking to many in the know is to buy one with a Raycus power supply but if the money is flowing go for the JPT. They'll have a model that will fit your budget I'm sure.
                        Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Hal View Post
                          Rsg
                          Great looking work, I can't seem to get your video to run.

Hal
                          Bummer, maybe try going right to the channel

Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RSG View Post

Of all the Chinese companies I reviewed I found Cloudray to be the most reliable. They now have a warehouse in the US as well making it easier to buy from. About the only advice I can offer after speaking to many in the know is to buy one with a Raycus power supply but if the money is flowing go for the JPT. They'll have a model that will fit your budget I'm sure.
                            Thanks for the help the last one like I said imported straight from China and it was think was a Rayfine and had the Raycus source that's the source that will run Lightburn. The Import was 2x the price of the Cloudray and was only 20 watts!!

Comment

RSG
                              Thanks it works for me now.
                              Amazing. Looks like magic.
                              Top quality all the way..
                              Thanks for sharing.

Hal

Comment

Working...
                              X