Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made blade sharpener for the homemade bandsaw. There 'was' a lot of machining...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made blade sharpener for the homemade bandsaw. There 'was' a lot of machining...

Dad and his brothers made the sawmill in the 80's.. Dad made the blade sharpener a few years ago. Finally got back to it..

Very nice work !

Comment

Simple and effective, the definition of a good design!!!
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

That is neat. Wish I could see more details of the design.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Way cool Skunkworks!
          Ontario, Canada

Comment

Very cool! Downright mezmerizing in fact......

Any chance of a further back overall picture or two?
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I will take some better pictures tomorrow.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
              Very cool! Downright mezmerizing in fact......

Any chance of a further back overall picture or two?

Comment

Its just as well it is automatic, I was thinking how many teeth there will be on a blade. Does it also work with variable pitch blades?

Comment

Very nice!! Inspiring actually, to get out into the shop and make something. Thanks. JR

Comment

Nice. The saw itself has a rather large looking electric motor? What size? And that's a conduit vertical for the power lines? (couldn't be an exhaust pipe! 🤔) When I lived in the country a guy down the road had one powered by an old volkswagon engine.
                    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Cool!
                      Are you going to make a tooth setter too?
                      I just got into running a woodland mills sawmill last week on my property up North. They sell an automated sharpener that runs off a 12v battery so you can run it in the bush but its spendy as hell... https://woodlandmills.com/woodland-m...ade-sharpener/
                      I was thinking about getting after it with a dremel but I can already feel my back aching...
                      I made my first boards and cants last week...
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think it is a 20hp 3ph.. (initially ran the K&T before we got rid of the hydraulics..) I surprisingly don't have many pictures of it. I should take some more... It initally (in the 80's) started with a 5hp briggs.. Then a pinto 4 cyl. Once it wasn't going to be portable anymore - we put an electric motor on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02968.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2015012

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                        Nice. The saw itself has a rather large looking electric motor? What size? And that's a conduit vertical for the power lines? (couldn't be an exhaust pipe! 🤔) When I lived in the country a guy down the road had one powered by an old volkswagon engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                          Cool!
                          Are you going to make a tooth setter too?
                          I just got into running a woodland mills sawmill last week on my property up North. They sell an automated sharpener that runs off a 12v battery so you can run it in the bush but its spendy as hell... https://woodlandmills.com/woodland-m...ade-sharpener/
                          I was thinking about getting after it with a dremel but I can already feel my back aching...
                          I made my first boards and cants last week...
                          Dad just bought a setter - seems to work pretty well... woodland mills is the brand.. It actually is only made for 1.75" blades - but we got it to work with our 2"+ blades.

Edit add - this one
                          Woodland Mills supplies high-quality Bandsaw Mills, wood chippers, trailers, and accessories! Get the equipment to tackle big logs & long hours today!
                          Last edited by skunkworks; 08-31-2022, 07:19 PM.

Comment

dad made this video a few years ago..

Comment

Not that I have any plans to make such a thing... but it would be interesting to see how the grinder is cam'd, as well as the tooth advance.
                              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                              X