Identify this tool please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this tool please

I am new to this forum, like a few days new.. Can anyone identify this tool for me.?? I got it at a garage sale and the guy said he thought it was from a machinist friend of his....Thanks...Pete
    Attached Files

It's 7 " long and the second hole is not threaded.......Can anyone tell me what this tool is used for.???? Thanks, Pete

Comment

One of those custom made things, the use of which probably died with the original maker. Keep it just in case it can be useful for metal stock and repurpose it.
      It looks like you have got the pictures going ok, so have another go with your other thread photos.
      Last edited by old mart; 09-13-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Yeah that's shop-made, for who knows what. Probably worked great for whatever specialized task he was using it for.

Comment

That, I'd wager, is an error. A machinist's apprentice test part that got screwed up and kept as an example.

It looks a lot like half of an old tap wrench, where there should be two of each of those parts. The blocks go together, and the handles screw in, one from each side. Tightening them clamps a tap in between.

The notch, however, should have been made between the holes, not on the side face.

Either the apprentice never finished the other two parts (he may have been let go before continuing, or they may have just abandoned that job and moved on to other tests) or the parts were lost over the years.

At this point, they're scrap, or you can test your own machining skills and make duplicates to make it functional.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

It looks like a V block with a handle which can be placed within a cavity or some other remote place in order to support a small rod or wire as it's being worked on.

My first thought was that it might be some sort of work stop for a vice.
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
              That, I'd wager, is an error. A machinist's apprentice test part that got screwed up and kept as an example.

It looks a lot like half of an old tap wrench, .......................
              Doc.
              It does indeed.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

The notch, that would clamp the tap, is on the wrong plane for it to clamp a tap so don't think it is part of a tap wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon View Post
                  The notch, that would clamp the tap, is on the wrong plane for it to clamp a tap so don't think it is part of a tap wrench.
                  Cuz it was made wrong....... the V notch you complain about was messed up by the apprentice. The rest of the thing surely looks like a half a tap wrench, and they are typical old-timey apprentice projects.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Looks like a henweigh to me.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon View Post
                      The notch is in the correct place, the clearance and tapped holes were made in the wrong plane.
                      A project the student didn't even bother to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

A project the student didn't even bother to finish.
                        Or perhaps he learned from the mistake and went on to make one correctly. Looks to me like the botched pieces were repurposed into a chip rake.

George
                        Traverse City, MI

Comment

They dont look like they go together. The block is crude and the handle is very good. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            Looks like a henweigh to me.

-D
                            Nope....nope.... not biting..... nope.....

Longrifle, never mind identifying what someone else made. I've got a box of widgets and special cutters I've done up over the years. No idea what they are for..... I tend to label stuff better now.

But the resemblance to a botched tap wrench is certainly compelling....
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Could be a dickfour.

-D
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X