Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Gawrsh, Dooz, whuts a Dickfer?"

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Somebody check their old Mechanix Illustrated files. I seem to recall there being plans for a very similar tap wrench. If the OP could provide a few basic measurements, and they correspond to the part in question, that might answer said question.

Of course, whoever was the boss of whatever shop that might have come out of, could have written up their own plans for an apprentice to follow.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Nope.... not biting at that one either.....

It strikes me that with the seemingly high probability that it's a botched tap wrench that you're one handle and a pattern into making another handle and pair of proper blocks and have a nice tap wrench for your troubles..... Hmmm?
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Cuz it was made wrong....... the V notch you complain about was messed up by the apprentice. The rest of the thing surely looks like a half a tap wrench, and they are typical old-timey apprentice projects.
          Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35412114716...Bk9SR_btroPnYA

I have a commercially made one somewhere.

Comment

This thing is driving me nuckin futts.....There is no way these two will fit together like the pic ..Reggie Obe posted in his link from Ebay...
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by longrifle007 View Post
              This thing is driving me nuckin futts.....There is no way these two will fit together like the pic ..Reggie Obe posted in his link from Ebay...
              Move the left hand one to the right of the one that is on the right in the pic, but keep in same orientation. Flip the one that was not moved, so that the notches are together. Screw on the handles.

It will then be all together in working order..
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Sorry J Tiers....I flipped and turned every possible way and they cannot end up like the pic Reggie Obe shows in his ebay link...Keep in mind the two empty holes are NOT threaded

Comment

Its a small home made rest for a snooker cue
                  'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Regarding the picture in post number 20:
                    Unscrew both handles.
                    Put the 2 blocks together with the V's facing together, with the threaded holes on opposite sides.
                    Put the handles through the unthreaded/clearance hole side and thread into the block on the 'far' side.
                    Voila - an adjustable tap wrench.

Comment

Hang on. I'm confused. The photo longrifle put in post 20 isn't the same tool as the one in post 1. The post 20 one clearly is a tap wrench if assembled correctly as Joel describes.
                      Which tool are we talking about, post 1 or post 20?
                      'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                        "Gawrsh, Dooz, whuts a Dickfer?"

Doc.
                        Don't encourage him, please.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35412114716...Bk9SR_btroPnYA

I have a commercially made one somewhere.
                          after seeing that photo, I think you nailed it. Grade 9 project gone wrong, big ah @#[email protected]# moment and he couldn't bring himself to scrap it
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The image in the original post seems to have V-notches on two faces, both parallel that we can see AND perpendicular on the side facing away. Blow it up and look carefully at the edges and the shadow.

The image in post 20 appears to have V-notches on the faces that are facing down, again look at the edges and shadow

I believe the images in post 1 and post 20 show the same parts, there are just twice as many in post 20 and they are assembled incorrectly. Assembled correctly they make a tap wrench.

Not sure what the parallel V-notches are for, the ones that are seen here as an apprentice mistake - alignment perhaps?
                            SE MI, USA

Comment

Hmm. You might be right about the extra set of V notches. Would have been much simpler if longrifle had told us in the first place that he had 2 handles and 2 notched blocks, not just the one as shown in his photo. If indeed there are 2 sets of V notches it would have been even more useful if he'd told us that as well.

Comment

This actually HURTS to read this post.

-D
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X