No announcement yet.

Identify this tool please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Richard Wilson, at the beginning I didn't think I needed to say I had two...I just thought if somebody ID the one then I would have two of the same tool. But after I saw that link from Reggie Obe from ebay, I knew they could not go together that way....I'll be posting couple more pics in a few minutes so everyone will understand better why they can't go together like in Mcgyvers pic also....stand-by...

Comment

Do the blocks have 2 grooves in each as reggie suggested? I still don't understand why J Tiers suggestion doesn't work.
      'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

aaaClick image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	148
Size:	752.5 KB
ID:	2017095
        DZER

Comment

OK, as you can see in the one pic without the handles, that the grooves are in the correct orientation like the pic in Mcgyvers Home foundry furnace post, however the threaded holes are lined up, then in the second pic with the handles, you can see if the threaded parts go into the holes that don't have threads....I'm completely baffeled by this but believe me I tried every which way to make them look like Mcgyvers pic and it CANNOT be done....like somebody said if somebody made these at home he Fmessed up...Although they look like they are factory made..cause the knurling looks real nice...not that you machinists can't do that. Actually like Doozer said in post 30....It is starting to hurt reading my post...ha ha ha
          Attached Files

Comment

In that picture above, I see no reason why it can't be done. The v-groove on the short edge is not relevant. Just take either one of those pieces and flip it end-over-end.
            Last edited by chipmaker4130; 09-14-2022, 11:09 AM.
            Southwest Utah

Comment

Finally got it...NOT, just kidding....sure the grooves line up but for me to make it look like post 27 pic I had to screw each handle part way into the same threaded hole..in the post of Mcgyvers post the handles are on opposite sides...so I'm back to square one I will go to my grave not knowing what these damn things are for...LOL
              Attached Files

Comment

After looking closely at my last pic I'm starting to believe they WERE home made cause look at where the threads begin...on one there is a little shoulder and on the other no shoulder...machinist forgot to make them the same....

Comment

The 4 pieces are assembled correctly in Doozer's Post 33, and in the link in reggie_obe's Post 19

The four pieces are NOT assembled correctly in longrifle007's Posts 20, 34 or 36
                  Last edited by DrMike; 09-14-2022, 11:33 AM.
                  SE MI, USA

Comment

Originally posted by longrifle007 View Post
                    After looking closely at my last pic I'm starting to believe they WERE home made cause look at where the threads begin...on one there is a little shoulder and on the other no shoulder...machinist forgot to make them the same....
                    The RH side of 1st picture in post 34 shows a small, less pronounced shoulder.

Longrifle, are you trying to be purposely obtuse about this? Go back and read the solution Joel gave in post 24. It explains it perfectly.
                    Last edited by lynnl; 09-14-2022, 11:52 AM.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

lynnl, Look at my second pic in my 34 post...Blow it up, as you can see the V's would line up correctly however the handle can't get threaded thru the unthreaded hole and go into the threaded hole...because it will go into the other unthreaded hole.....I never use the word obtuse....I only ever saw that word used in the movie The Shawshank Redemption...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by longrifle007 View Post
                        Sorry J Tiers....I flipped and turned every possible way and they cannot end up like the pic Reggie Obe shows in his ebay link...Keep in mind the two empty holes are NOT threaded
                        The feature you complain about is the one that makes it work. Just do what I said, it will fit together and work just fine.

You are not visualizing what it is supposed to look like, or how it works.

The handles go through the unthreaded holes, BECAUSE that way they act as "screws" holding the parts together. They go INTO the threaded hole on the other part, so that the "screw" tightens the parts together.

I literally cannot believe that you do not see this. It is really plain in Doozer's pics, and any other pic of one of these holders. (BTW, this style is not the best type of tap holder, but they do work).

To repeat..... each handle goes through an unthreaded hole in one of the "clamp bars", first, and into the threaded hole on the second "clamp bar". You line up the "clamp bars" with the V notches together, and each unthreaded hole in line with a threaded hole. Then put each handle thru an unthreaded hole and into a threaded hole.

It really is very very clear. how it works.

You will probably suddenly see the answer, and then it will surprise you that you did not see it earlier.

Now, maybe that particular one is made wrong and the V notches don't quite line up, but the above is how they are supposed to work
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 09-14-2022, 12:39 PM.
                        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Longrifle, I think that your mistake is thinking that the handles need to thread into the threaded holes before anything else.

Watch this video on making and using one of these. Somewhere along the way through the video if you're not actually pulling our legs it'll all become very clear. And This Old Tony makes it a fun video to watch to boot.

(3) Operation: Tap Wrench - YouTube
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Guys, I wonder if the side V's are intended to make it rapidly easy to align the blocks so that the handles fit correctly. But if that was the intent then it appears to be the only real mistake since when the side v's are aligned like in longrifle's post Windows Based CNC Controls and Desktop CNC Systems the V's for the tap are not correct. And when the tap notches are matched and the blocks oriented correctly for the handles the side V's are on opposite sides. So likely still a screwup?
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Ok, BC Rider I watched the video however you still can't do it the way he does it because look at this pic...If I turn the blocks so the threaded holes are on opposite sides which I did in this pick then the V's are not lined up to hold a tap. I think I came up with the reason these don't work..I think I got a block each from a different set with the handles...in other words one of these blocks goes with another block that would line up..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also if you look at the video when he flips the blocks over they only have one V groove where mine have two grooves on each block

Comment

Working...
                                X