OT -- Need Help with Steel Banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT -- Need Help with Steel Banding

I'm looking for a good and convenient way to wrap steel banding tightly around a masonry chimney. I mean the type of banding that holds stacks of lumber together for shipping, and other stuff like that. I only want it for a single non-critical use, so I want to avoid buying special tools and a lot of banding that I will never use again. Looking online, I find a product called BAND-IT EARLOKT buckles that clamp the banding once it's tight. After watching the instructional videos, I think I can figure out a way to tighten the band without buying the special tool. Does anyone know about these things or anything similar? Is there any way to buy just a few of the buckles and just a few yards of banding? Stainless steel banding might be preferable so I wouldn't have to worry about it rusting, but I could probably also scrounge some used banding at a construction site or somewhere else where it is tossed out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have a friend that works at a place with a were house, see if yea can get a few yards of band and borrow the tool on a weekend.

Comment

The band material for the bandit is not the same as what they use to band lumber or for shipping. The bandit is much heavier and tougher.
      I have and use both kinds

Comment

Band it is stainless, ideal for outside and masonry, I have one we used to strap thermocouples and vibration sensors on pipes and stuff ( pcm) comes in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2” in rolls, bus companies use them, telecom uses them, signage and utilities.
        just a hammer needed.
        mark

Comment

You could drill a couple of holes and use a screw like a pipe clamp.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Bend up and fold over an ear on each end, drill through them and tighten with threaded rod? Allows tightening later if things stretch/loosen.
            Last edited by MrWhoopee; 09-21-2022, 09:26 AM.
            It's all mind over matter.
            If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Look at Water Heater strapping. Bolt the 2 pieces together and tighten away. Simple and cheap.

Mike

Comment

Look up Antenna mounts for chimney they have all the hardware you would need.

Comment

Will something like this work? You can get different lengths.

Click image for larger version

Name:	282D1089-BD37-4378-AB47-9FD4E651D913.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2017972

Comment

Originally posted by portlandRon View Post
                    Look up Antenna mounts for chimney they have all the hardware you would need.
                    I was going to mention that. Used to be able to buy chimney mount kits that came with stainless steel banding in ratchet clamps. I remember these at Radio Shack back in the day.

JL......

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. The water heater straps, the antenna mounts and the Breeze Make A Clamp all look like great ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X