Best AA Alkaline Batteries To Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best AA Alkaline Batteries To Buy

I'm done with Dura Leaks. A couple years ago I bought a 48 pack of AA alkalines. Had nothing but bad luck. Ruined a four Mini Mag flashlights, a clock movement and a digital temp. humidity gauge, which the company replaced but still a hassle always having to check all these devices to make sure the batteries haven't started to leak. Mostly what happens is some white crystalized stuff starts to form and it always seems to be on the negative end of the battery. The positive end usually starts to discolor or stain like it's starting to leak under the wrapper but the batteries will still be good and I'll never know they are starting to leak unless I constantly keep checking them. I either got a bad lot of them or they are all that way.
    I've had this happen with batteries that have only been in a device for 5 or 6 months.

So it's time to try another brand, a quality brand like Panasonic or Sony. I see these two brands come with a lot of electronic devices so they must be good, and I've never had either of those brands show any signs of corrosion or leaking even when they are just about dead. There's too many brands out there to be playing hit and miss with.

Anyone have any recommendations ??

JL............

Battery Shootout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-g...el=ProjectFarm

Comment

Also I have switched over to Panasonic Enloop rechargeable batteries and have had no problems for years now.

Comment

I agree about the Dura Cells leaking. I won't put them in anything any more. Too many things destroyed by leaking batteries. I have had good luck with Energizer batteries. I don't remember having one leak on me unless it was left in an unused item for years.
        Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Not Kodak either. Didn't leak, but most went dead in the package despite the claim of a 10 year shelf life.

Comment

Kirkland brand has been good with me
            John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Look for where they're made IMO. I have had batteries from all the brands (both Duracell and Energizer included) that have switched to Chinese manufacturing leak. I have 20 year old Made in USA Duracells and Energizers (that were found in a device and long dead - probably in the devices for 20 years in a box) that are pristine with no leakage and no corrosion.

And now cue up the Chinese manufacturing defender's brigade.

If you really need alkaline I'd look for something made in Japan too. Best bet, IMO. I use NiMH rechargeables now myself. Eneloops are good. They can replace most alkaline but not all.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                And now cue up the Chinese manufacturing defender's brigade.
                Sad but true.

Most disposable batteries, truly Cheap Crap from China.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post
                  Also I have switched over to Panasonic Enloop rechargeable batteries and have had no problems for years now.
                  I have switched most of my AA and AAA devices from alkaline to NiMH rechargeable batteries and could not be happier. NiMH battery has only 1.2V nominal voltage comparing to 1.5V for alkaline battery, but most (not all) of the electronic devices would take that. None of the NiMH cells has leaked in about 13 years of using them and I have over a hundred of AA and AAA cells.

YouTube has multiple videos of comparison battery testing, but the ones I've seen are the short time tests. So far based on my own extensive long term testing I can only recommend Panasonic Eneloop batteries (they used to be Sanyo Eneloop). Not a single one became bad over the years. I cannot say the same about other famous brands like Duracell and Energizer and other less known names. Eneloop batteries do not have the greatest capacity, but they comply to their specs, have very low self-discharge and are very reliable.

Recently I started experimenting with Li-ion cells in 18650 size (they are 18 mm in diameter and 65 mm long) and I like them much better than NiMH. Not many devices accept them yet, but in my opinion they are the future of portable power. They have high voltage (3.7 V) and capacity and extremely low self-discharge.

Comment

I know you dont like duraleak lol, I do. I use their better line, duracell optimum. Great shelf life and no leaks for me. JR

Comment

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post

Recently I started experimenting with Li-ion cells in 18650 size (they are 18 mm in diameter and 65 mm long) and I like them much better than NiMH. Not many devices accept them yet, but in my opinion they are the future of portable power. They have high voltage (3.7 V) and capacity and extremely low self-discharge.
                      Yes, I wish all manufacturers would switch to these. They are fantastic.

Comment

Proctor and Gamble peddled Duracell in 2015. The new owner of the brand name changed over to Chicom manufacturing which as we know has produced a crap product. No more copper top knock it off my shoulder stuff for me.
                        As to AA cells, I just get a box of whatever cheap crap quality brand Harbor Fright is putting on their end caps for 8 bucks. Fingers crossed as to them not leaking and ruining whatever I put them in. Same quality as duracell but 1/4 the price. I mean what could go wrong with a name like Thunderbolt Magnum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tm.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	2018143

Comment

Originally posted by john b View Post
                          Kirkland brand has been good with me
                          That's my choice as well. Been buying them for about 5 or 6 years now. Low cost and haven't had a leaker yet.

Home Depot also has packs of their house brand HDX cells on sale fairly regularly. Bought a couple of packs of those between packs of Kirkland and there again they seem to last a good long time and not a leaker yet.

I bought a pack of Amazon Basic low self discharge NiMH cells for mostly using in my flashlights. They work pretty good too. But the low self discharge isn't as low as promised. I found that the charged ones went dead in about 6 months. But they are fine in items that are used reasonably frequently like my flashlights and head band lights.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

I bought a pack of Amazon Basic low self discharge NiMH cells for mostly using in my flashlights. They work pretty good too. But the low self discharge isn't as low as promised. I found that the charged ones went dead in about 6 months. But they are fine in items that are used reasonably frequently like my flashlights and head band lights.
                            Eneloop batteries would not die in 6 months of storage. Actually they last about a year of service in my temperature/humidity sensors.

Comment

Do NOT buy AA batteries from Horrible Fright. Not only do they leak, they seem to have about 1/3 the charge of other brands.

Comment

Working...
                              X