Best Standard Base - LED "Bulbs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Standard Base - LED "Bulbs"

My wife has a subscription to Consumer Reports. I suppose I should just ask her to look it up. I never think of it when I am not in the shop and she is not at work.

In the mean time I'll ask you guys. What is the best 60 & 100 watt (yeah I know they are measured in lumens now) equivalent longest lasting standard base bulb replacements? When I built the office in my shop and later the CNC machine room in the shop I just put regular light cans in the ceiling, When they have fresh bulbs there is more than plenty of light, but it doesn't seem to take long before their output degrades. I've tried several brands of LEDs and a few CFLs over the years, and they just don't last.

(USA Nominal 115V Circuits)
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

P.S. The 8ft fluorescents in the main shop last for years. I've replaced some, but some of the tubes are around 15 years old. (I don't recall what year I built the shop.) I finally lost my first ballast last year and converted that can to straight 115V for LED replacement "tubes".
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I won't argue that they are the best because I don't have experience with any other brands but Maxlite 9watt 5000K is what I use. I've only had one early failure out of at least 50 of them. I stocked up when the local store had 4 packs for $1. Power company subsidy of some kind. I wish I'd bought more.

A contractor light string with these bulbs works great. I use three V bulb doublers so each light socket has four bulbs. I'm a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by strokersix View Post
        I won't argue that they are the best because I don't have experience with any other brands but Maxlite 9watt 5000K is what I use. I've only had one early failure out of at least 50 of them. I stocked up when the local store had 4 packs for $1. Power company subsidy of some kind. I wish I'd bought more.

A contractor light string with these bulbs works great. I use three V bulb doublers so each light socket has four bulbs. I'm a fan.
        Just looked them up. As LED bulbs go they are CHEAP!

Hmmm... maybe not so much. LOL.

Comment

I am not using regular light bulbs anywhere for a number of years. First they were replaced by compact fluorescent bulbs, then by LEDs. LEDs are so much better in every respect. They are supposed to last a long time and they do most of the time. I don't have years of experience with them, so I cannot tell you which one will last longer.

For the shop and garage I am using LED light fixtures, similar to what a 4 ft fluorescent fixture looks like. I also use several LED lights, which go into the sockets for regular old bulbs, but they do not look like old round bulbs. Instead they have several adjustable wings with multiple LEDs and they develop a lot of light output.

BTW, I used to subscribe to Consumer reports for many years, but after a change in their leadership I stopped. The magazine became more suitable for house wives rather than for general public. It stopped providing most of the technical details of the products and judged them more like how they look and feel. Sorry, that is not for me...

Comment

Originally posted by mikey553 View Post
            I am not using regular light bulbs anywhere for a number of years. First they were replaced by compact fluorescent bulbs, then by LEDs. LEDs are so much better in every respect. They are supposed to last a long time and they do most of the time. I don't have years of experience with them, so I cannot tell you which one will last longer.

For the shop and garage I am using LED light fixtures, similar to what a 4 ft fluorescent fixture looks like. I also use several LED lights, which go into the sockets for regular old bulbs, but they do not look like old round bulbs. Instead they have several adjustable wings with multiple LEDs and they develop a lot of light output.

BTW, I used to subscribe to Consumer reports for many years, but after a change in their leadership I stopped. The magazine became more suitable for house wives rather than for general public. It stopped providing most of the technical details of the products and judged them more like how they look and feel. Sorry, that is not for me...
            Yeah, I've had better luck with flat LED light "bars" of recent years, but where I already have light cans I prefer to use them

Comment

I know the LED's last a good long time. It's seldom/never the LED's that have any issue. It's always the 110v to LED current driver adapter in the base that goes funky. I've yet to see the LED just plain fail. It's always been that they start running super dim or start blinking. A sign that it's the power adapter in the socket or base that is the issue. And I find that the best of them lasts about two years and the worst, if it makes it past 3 or 4 months, last about a year.

Actually, I take that back. I've got some 12 volt track and pot lighting with both GU10 and MR16 bulbs. There's a total of 9 of them. 5 run for many long hours. The other four see periodic use. I think in 7 years I've replaced three of them. Maybe four. They all went bad in the same way. Blinky and low powered while blinking.

I'd happily pay a buck more per bulb if they would figure out how to make the built in power supplies last.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

No problems with Cree or Phillips.
                Avoid Feit like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Especially the bit about FEIT.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    1000 %^

Comment

I've had Cree and Phillips among others. Some are likely still in use around the house. But I did notice that they seemed to fail at about the same rate as some other brands. Mind you I don't think I've ever had any Feit bulbs.
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

So, what kind of life are you getting on your led "bulbs."

As I have looked I have seen claims from 11,000 to 25,000 hrs for their life. I am frequently losing them at much less than that. The power supply is clean. None of my computers are complaining and my CNC machines aren't crashing.

(Yes, I have left my old meter with a serial port hooked up and logging to a laptop terminal over night a couple times. No surprises.)

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                          I've had Cree and Phillips among others. Some are likely still in use around the house. But I did notice that they seemed to fail at about the same rate as some other brands. Mind you I don't think I've ever had any Feit bulbs.
                          I have almost all Cree for LED "bulbs". So far, in the last 5 or more years, I do not think I have had ANY fail. I had one that did not like a particular fixture which made the bulb heat up due to really bad air flow. I swapped that one into a different lamp, and it has worked ever since.

What I like best about Cree is that I can get ones that have about the same color temperature as an incandescent bulb. In many places I do not like the blasting blue-white light produced by a 5000K bulb. I prefer something from 2700 to 3300K.

I have had FEIT products. Mostly compact fluorescents. I took them all out when several failed and blew out burning fragments. If you look, you can probably find the thread in which I posted pics of the innards which failed.

I no longer trust FEIT products, although I think I may have some LED replacements for fluorescent tubes that are FEIT brand. A couple have failed, but so far no burning fragments have been blown out of any tube replacements. There is limited availability on those replacement tubes, so I used what I can get.
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 09-23-2022, 12:38 AM.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I know you are asking about Edison base LED bulbs, but you are really asking for a good brand.

My house and shop has a large number of four foot fluorescent fixtures, both two and four bulb types. Most were around 40 or more years old and were becoming a constant source of problems. The newer, two bulb ones in my garage/shop were among the worst with flickering, slow start up time, and just plain growing dim. I started with the ones in the shop. I tossed away the ballasts, which proved to be the biggest problem, and replaced them with LED tube style bulbs. When I saw how well that went in the shop, I bought more LED tubes and replaced all the ones in the house, the screen porch, and the lawn storage building. I was able to use three LED tubes in place of four fluorescent ones in the larger fixtures. And I got more light. I purchased four packs of ten and used a total of 39 LED tubes. I had one spare which is still gathering dust in a corner of my shop.

It has been around five years now and I haven't had a single problem. No flicker. No slow start. No burnt out bulbs. And, as far as I can tell, no dimming or loss of light. They work as well and have as much light as when they were first installed. NO PROBLEMS WHAT-SO-EVER! All but four of them in my den and twelve in the $20 fixtures in my shop are in the 40+ year old fixtures. I replaced the two den fixtures because the plastic cover/lens were broken and I could not buy replacements.

I am totally satisfied with that brand of LED tubes. And the brand name is Sunco. They are not the least expensive LED lamps available, but they seem to be of excellent quality. I am too poor to use the cheaper brands. I do recommend them.

https://www.sunco.com/?msclkid=16e47...0a15a894ff31b0

One word of caution. The Sunco tubes that I have seem to use a wiring scheme that is not the most popular one. Most LED tubes use two connections on one end of the tube and the other end has no connections. The Sunco bulbs use one pin on each end. The two wiring schemes are not compatible.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Not an early adopter of LED bulbs or tubes, because the low CRI on most are poor. Have had medium base (Edison) bulbs in many areas for about 3 years, no failures. 4' LED tubes in the shop are Hyperikon brand.

Comment

Working...
                              X