CD ROM for The Home Shop Machinist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD ROM for The Home Shop Machinist

I just heard from the publisher of HSM that he is interested in producing a one-year CD (most likely for 2001) that would be made available to the readership. If that was successful, he would then produce a five-year CD (2001 back to 1997). We want to hear from you in regard to his suggestion. Let us know if this sounds like a good plan. What are your hopes and desires?
    Thanks,
    Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 05-18-2001).]

I though this was the idea of the previous post that had 122 replies all agreeing with the idea.
    What's changed ???

------------------
    Regards,
    John Stevenson,
    Nottingham, England

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Since I just started subscribing to HSM I would prefer starting with a year prior to the current year. Just my 2 cents worth.

wwheelock

Comment

I would love to get archives on CD

Glenn Neff
        Medford, OR

Comment

I think that this CD would be an excellent idea, however, incorporated into its design should be a feature to EASILY print article pages onto 8 1/2 x 11 pages with the push of a button, and not have to reformat half the computer to get hard copy to take out to the shop. It seems that this feature is always forgotten by folks that put printed materials onto CD Rom.

Comment

I belong to an organization that has recently put its magazine on CD-ROM. This is every edition from the first in 1923 through 1999. Everything is on 3 CDs with full searching and jpg images. Total cost for the collection is $300. I'd sure like all issues on CD.
            Jim
            James Riser
            http://www.JamesRiser.com

Comment

count me in.

Comment

Joe, I read several things in your publisher's notion of releasing a one year CD holding the 2001 issue year.

First, it's too easy. I gotta believe that HSM is now electronically composed. Nobody uses paste-up any more. So the conversion to PDF is simple. On the other hand, Volume 1, Issue 1 WAS a paste-up. The conversion is much more difficult and expensive. But as a test of interest, it would be fat more valuable.

Second, it fits with the fact that current print issues, and perhaps those back to 1997, are available as printed back issues. This allows the quality of the CD to be low - suited to the screen, but not to hard copy. Of course, if the publisher has in mind to replace the printed 'zine with electronic copy, the quality can be whatever he is willing to pay for. To me, it seems more likely that the CDs are not going to be archive quality.

Third, the choice of 2001 as the release year is curious. Why not 2000 or even 1990? Since the test is supposed to determine interest, why wait? It surely isn't a question of cost. AOL mails CDs to everybody, even those who have no computer. At least HSM can restrict to the subscriber list.

Fourth, your comment that there might be a 5-year CD that goes back to 1997 leaves me wondering whether there is any thought being given to publishing ALL issues on CD, starting with Volume 1, Issue 1. Certainly that would be the most exciting announcement. Then the reaction to a one year CD would be far more reliable, helpful, and objective.

Comment

Hi,
                  Yes I would be interested in an archive of ALL issues. A good search function better than what you have here on this board, more on the line of what www.delphi.com has in advance view, capable of cross referencing topics and authors is of PRIMARY importance! The only problem I would have in shelling out big bucks is, are CD-ROMS going to go the way of 5 1/4" disks like on my old clunker C-64 and IBM PC then becoming obsolete?

Kurt

Comment

Being new to your magazine and website I think back issues on cd would be a good idea,if the price were kept reasonable.
                    especially with your new index

Comment

I'm glad to hear that the publisher is interested in the cd concept. I just wish you would consider starting with vol 1 #1 and work your way to the present,as opposed to the opposite. I think that the most of us interested people have the later issues. It's the earlier ones that we would like to see. I think that as a test for response you would do better with earlier ones.

Comment

Joe,
                        It is your publication, do what you think is best, not what the publisher is trying to foist off upon you.
                        Let's start at the beginning of the series, I am caretaker of HSM's for all but the first Volume to the present date. For me a relatively high priced CD $20-30 should be some thing I want and don't have! Let's try Five Year stretches!?
                        Given the choice of starting with a one year CD,at the price of a subscription, I would take paper any time.
                        I have a good scanner and software CD burner and could do it myself in any format. And, may yet for insurance/ archive purposes.
                        I like the ideas of Metalmaster, jix, Shapeaholic,and that type of thinking
                        Thank you for supporting input.
                        toff

As a thought, If you have the early volumns
                        on CDROM, Then you have control and duplication rights even if you should change publisher/printers. Having them on hand would be the equivalent of your line of books not just another way of delivering periodicals.

toff twice

[This message has been edited by toff (edited 06-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by toff (edited 06-22-2001).]
                        To know by reading is different than knowing by doing. OR:
                        What you have going into a situation is knowlege..What you have coming out of that situation (providing you survive!) is wisdom.

Comment

Joe,

A one year would be alright if it was year 1 of the magazine, but if you start with 2001, there is a problem. How many of the articles will start with part 2 or 3 or even 4 of a multiple part article, and then hpw many at the end of the CD will end with part 1 or 2 of a 4 part article. As others have said, its the early issues which many people want. I constantly see references to from way before I started this hobby, and some sound great, give me a chance to them, please.

To keep the cost down, I don't believe all the bells and whistles are needed, just get teh magazines on CD, I will search them for hours, as I do now with paper copies.

Thanks
                          Robert

ps Is there any time frame as to when this might happen?
                          Robert Hood
                          Arizona

Comment

Hello, I also would be interested in a cd based archive. Please pursue these with all speed.

Thanks

Charles

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe:
                            I just heard from the publisher of HSM that he is interested in producing a one-year CD (most likely for 2001) that would be made available to the readership. If that was successful, he would then produce a five-year CD (2001 back to 1997). We want to hear from you in regard to his suggestion. Let us know if this sounds like a good plan. What are your hopes and desires?
                            Thanks,
                            Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 05-18-2001).]
                            </font>

Comment

No, not interested in one year or 5 year CD roms. Especially the newer ones. I have the last several years. I'm interested in the beginning years, actually complete set todate. Sounds like the publisher is trying the easy way out. My guess is that he has the newer back issues stored electronically, but the older ones not and those would have to be scanned. Geez, listed to the readers on my first suggestion, they want the entire Library on CD. Sounds like the publisher is too conservative....
                              Jack of All Trades, Master of None

Comment

Working...
                              X