Name that plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that plastic

Friend gave me a few pieces of plastic the otheray and I am trying to figure out what it is.

It's green in color,hard like Nylon,holds demension well,machines cleanly and has bronze colored flecks all through it.

Some sort of metalic filled Nylon?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

A type of plastic bearing material....

Hey Weird;
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Probably is made as a plastic bearing material.
    I've worked with & still have a chunk of "graphalon" which is a graphite filled nylon material. I used it for bearings in a shaker device I built for testing vibration isolators & flexible couplings. Seemed to work OK under moderate speeds & loading.
    Machined easily IIRC. with sharp tools. (Like most plastics.)
    HTH
    Rick

Comment

The number one way to identify a plastic is to burn it. Here is a chart that should help you narrow it down.

http://www.modernplastics.com/how_to...y_plastics.htm
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

wierd,
        It might be Nylatron, http://www.aipdaytona.com/plastics_nylatron.htm

Mark Hockett
        Island Tech Enterprises
        Clinton, WA 98236
        360-914-6026

More chip less lip
        Mark Hockett

Comment

Nylatron is a uniform bluish grey in color as it contains molybedenum sulphide as a filler. No bronze flecks.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
            Nylatron is a uniform bluish grey in color as it contains molybedenum sulphide as a filler. No bronze flecks.
            Depends on maker and suppliers.
            Nylatron here in the UK is green in colour but no metalic flecks.

Problem is there are so many brand names and types it's very hard to keep a standard.
            Looking at some bearing plastic's the other day and we can get PEEK in brown [ not sure what was in that one ] Bluish grey with Moly and white with glass strands but they are all PEEK.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I can't figure out how they would make nylatron green. The moly is a very strong colorant as you will find out if you get moly grease on your fingers. It is entirely responsible for the blue-grey colour. I used to service equipment at a molybedenum mine and the entire landscape around the mine was the same colour from traces of the refined ore drifting about. Very depressing.

Comment

Nylatronآ® GS Nylon, Type 66, MoS2 filled, extruded
                Search Categories: Nylon; Bearing;
                Material Notes: Nylatron GS Nylon is a nylon and molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) composition designed to improve the mechanical, thermal and bearing properties of type 6/6 nylon while maintaining its basic electrical and chemical characteristics. Through compounding, finely divided particles impart extra lubricity to this nylon, permitting Nylatron GS parts to operate with little or no lubrication. The added lubricity also contributes dramatically to component service life, making Nylatron GS a very cost-efficient choice. Nylatron GS nylon offers greater wear resistance, lower surface friction, higher strength and greater rigidity than unfilled 6/6 with improved dimensional stability.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

http://www.nylaplas.com/plastics/ertalon_nylatron.html

tells you about different gades of Nylatron & their other products. Doesn't look as though they do a bronze-filled plastic, though.

Tim

Comment

The bronze coloured flecks could just be an added pigment dispersion in the material for cosmetic effect, and not necessarily a property modifier.

We have used many similar pigments to give items a 'metallic' look, and these can vary from a micro-dispersion to large coloured aluminium flakes.

As Evan said the easiest way to identify it is by burning the end and smelling it, but in all honesty this only works if you actually know what a specific polymer smells like. I don't have smelli-vision technology installed on my PC yet so I can't helpwith this

To confirm what John said, Nylatron sold/manufactured in the UK is definitely green, more like a dark shiny khaki. As a matter of fact it is an identical colour to the coatings on the speed change handles on Colchester lathes. Many years ago (late 70's) Colchester lathes contracted the company I worked for to design and make moulded handles to replace the cast aluminium items, and they specified Nylatron GS (30% GF) as the material in order to give the same visual appearance.

Peter

Comment

Welcome to RS

Europe's leading
                      distributor of industrial
                      maintenance & repair
                      products.

RS Stock no. 390-3277 Manufact. part no. 4004236430 Name Plastic,stock,Nylatron GSM,sheet,30x305x500mm Catalogue page 3-1315

That is from the UK branch. Thier image, not black and white. Same source of image as John's.
                      Last edited by Evan; 06-30-2006, 04:23 AM.

Comment

As for identification by burning, the easist way is to just compare with a known sample. The different plastics have very distinctive odours, especially nylon.

Comment

Evan,
                          See Peter's post above.
                          Peter has spent his whole working life with plastics.

Comment

John, see the catalog at RS, they sell the stuff.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/ho...eturningUser=N

RS Components Ltd
                            Birchington Road, Corby, Northants, NN17 9RS, UK

Comment

I believe what you have being sold as green nylatron is actually called nyloil, a variation of nylatron that is oil filled and very similar to moly filled nylon but with even better properties. There is also a oil/moly filled nylatron that is blue. Standard nylatron is grey.

Nylatronآ® GSM - Cast Moly-Filled Nylon 6
                              Finely divided particles of "Moly" (molybdenum disulfide -- MoS2) are dispersed evenly throughout the nylon material during polymerization. The Moly particles act as a dry lubricant to enhance nylon's load bearing and wear capabilities while maintaining impact strength and toughness. It is most commonly used for gears, sheaves, sprockets and custom parts. It is Dark Grey in color.

Nyloilآ® - Cast Oil-Filled Nylon 6
                              Simply put, this is a cast nylon with built-in oil lubrication. During the manufacturing process, oil lubrication is completely and evenly dispersed throughout the cast nylon, making it an integral part of the material's structure that cannot spin out, dry out, or drain out, even under the harshest working conditions. This oil-filler reduces friction by as much as 25% at the bearing interface, and can result in longer wear life than unfilled or moly-filled cast nylons. The standard grade is Green in color, but a natural (off-white) colored FDA & USDA approved grade is also available.

Nylatronآ® GSM Blue - Cast Moly- & Oil-Filled Nylon 6
                              This grade combines both molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) and oil for the load capability of Nylatron GSM nylon, plus improved frictional characteristics. It excels in higher pressures and at low speeds. It is Dark Blue-Gray in color.

Nylatronآ® NSM - Cast Solid-Lubricant-Filled Nylon 6
                              This grade offers the best bearing and wear properties available. Solid lubricant additives, evenly dispersed throughout the nylon material, imparts self-lubricating, high PV, and superior wear characteristics. This Gray colored nylon grade is ideal for larger size parts, bearings, gears, and wear pads.
                              http://www.boedeker.com/nylonc_p.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X