Rookie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Mistakes

You Folks are going to love this one. I've had a 12X36 gear head lathe which I have used regularly for about 3 years. Used to wonder why the longitudinal feed would seem to be OK some times & crappy other times. Figured those two levers for threading only worked when you're THREADING! Not so. You may freely laugh as even though I am self taught I certainly had a chuckle when I figured out what was going on.
    Second point I wish to share is that of using double backed carpet tape to hold plates to the Mill table. It WORKS very well - only problem is Frank Mclean (God Bless him I love his books & wish I'd had the chance to have met him) neglected to mention it is somewhat stubborn to remove! Safety tip of the day - YOU DON'T NEED TWO 2" STRIPS TO HOLD DOWN A 3" WIDE PIECE PIECE OF 1/4" ALUMINUM PLATE! In fairness to myself I had a problem with the whole "Tape" idea in the first place. Just thought other less experienced folk would like the heads up.

Oh...you mean, Rookie Mistapes.

Comment

We've used alcohol to remove tapes. Rubbing alcohol works. Leave some room between pieces of tape for the alcohol to get into.

Soak the tape for a few minutes, then use a putty knife or similar to pry it up.

------------------
      Mike L
      Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.
      Mike L
      Amateur machinist, self-taught. I had a poor teacher, but I was a good student.

Comment

Use a piece of good tape to pull up the old tape. It works.

Kevin
        If it's not good enough for you, it's sure not good enough for anyone else.

Comment

There is a product on the market called "Goo Gone" that removes just about any kind of stickum left over from decals, price tags, etc. I think it is petroleum based. It has a nice orange fragrance, too. Usual disclaimers.
          "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Try WD 40 it works great Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Chris
              Mitee-Bite makes a special product called Mitee-Grip that is heat released for milling. It works very well, but is no that cheap. They have lots of other special work holding goodies to look at.

http://www.miteebite.com/

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-15-2003).]

Comment

Saw a link to a product page showing a system that freezes parts down to its table with water to machine non magnetic parts.
                can't find the link. I may have seen it at the PM bbs.
                Am I allowed to say that?

Comment

Yf
                  The Mitee-Bite stuff will work with non-metallics as well, but I am unsure if it is as effective with teflon. You are limited by the melting point of the material to be milled, of course.

Comment

Check out http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/1102rt1.html

It describes the freeze hold down system.
                    It would seem to be especially good for grinding as it keeps the part cool.

Comment

Thanks Guy's. No BS. Just helpfull stuff. Hope it helped somebody else. After all we're all still learn'in.

Comment

Latest goof - Sheared off the end of my edge finder by cranking the work piece through it. But it never worked well like the first one I used. I cobbled it back together with a cheap spring that barely holds the parts together - and now it works great!!! Runs off center quickly, completely and reproducibly to a mil every time.

------------------

Comment

I just GOTTA get me some new glasses! I thought this topic was "BOOKIE" mistakes!

Comment

Working...
                          X