Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its Raining. Non-stop. Drought Fill the basins idiots or a problem night happen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Legislators have written “strongly worded letters” to state and federal officials demanding to know why 95% of the rainwater that fell on California in recent weeks was allowed to wash out to sea in the California Delta."

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

The LA river dumps the collected rainwater in the sea. Meanwhile people like the OP have swimming pools filled by city supplied water taken from hundreds of miles away and transported by aqueduct.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1VYCczw9U
      Regardless of where the water comes from (in my area where there are a lot of private wells, or sewer bills are based on water consumption – and typically metered sewer rates are many times the cost of the water – pool water is trucked in), some jurisdictions require that you agree to let the fire department take water from your pool with their pumper as there aren't a lot of hydrants. There was a food processing facility that burned all but to the ground a few years ago: the facility was just outside of a small town, so there were no hydrants; the fire departments (yes, multiple) set up "ponds" (basically above-ground pools) in neighboring parking lots and kept them filled from tankers while the pumpers did their job.
      Avid Amateur Home Shop Machinist, Electronics Enthusiast, Chef, Indoorsman. Self-Proclaimed (Dabbler? Dilettante?) Renaissance (old) Man.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
        ........................Plenty of land to dig a big pit. But then the bird sanctuary might get impacted JR............

In those dry areas, ponds or lakes are what MAKES a bird sanctuary. Of course it might disrupt migration patterns as the birds gradually change to include the lake on their migration. Once you put it there, it needs to be permanent or there may be an issue.

On the border in AZ, there is a lake, in the middle of the desert. It is definitely on the migration routes. (I don't know what keeps it filled)
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

As I understand the dynamics, ponds would not do it to recharge the overpumped aquifers, you need far more surface area like the flood plains that were blocked off by building levees and channeling the rivers, and and the wetlands that were destroyed so people could live right next to a river like you do. Here in NJ there are people that live in towns with 'river' in the name that are shocked when they get flooded! Developers built in the flood plain.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
            flood plains that were blocked off by building levees and channeling the rivers, and and the wetlands that were destroyed so people could live right next to a river like you do. Here in NJ there are people that live in towns with 'river' in the name that are shocked when they get flooded! Developers built in the flood plain.
            Hahaa! Thats funny, a river you say? Were did you get that from, the water during a storm?

First off this "river" I live next to has been here before people, not man made.. Second off its called a "creek". I didnt name it.

I do call it a dry river bottom though cause thats what it is to me. 350 days of the year it is dry as a bone (see attached pic). The coyotes use it like a freeway from Simi Valley to the ocean (or close to it).

No man made, earth wrecking, self indulgent, developed river here Sir. Just nature at its best. Maybe you are thinking of somewhere else JR

Directly behind my house (black roof in picture). Water is gonzo...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dry creek.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2033161

Comment

Hahaa! Thats funny, a river you say? Were did you get that from, the water during a storm?

First off this "river" I live next to has been here before people, not man made.. Second off its called a "creek". I didnt name it.

I do call it a dry river bottom though cause thats what it is to me. 350 days of the year it is dry as a bone (see attached pic). The coyotes use it like a freeway from Simi Valley to the ocean (or close to it).

No man made, earth wrecking, self indulgent, developed river here Sir. Just nature at its best. Maybe you are thinking of somewhere else JR

Directly behind my house (black roof in picture). Water is gonzo...

As I understand the geology there, most 'rivers' there are dry creek beds most of the year, it's a freakin desert! The ones that aren't are fed by snowmelt, and up north, glacier melt. The thing to do would be to dam the creek, but your house might end up underwater. A lot of these dams used to form naturally from silt, that's what happens in a river delta, but we've stopped that, as well as killing off beavers, though Southern CA and parts of NV are about the only places in the US not part of their original range. Lots of places are freaking out about returning beavers trying to recreate the exact kinds of ponds and wetlands that recharge aquifers.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

On the border in AZ, there is a lake, in the middle of the desert. It is definitely on the migration routes. (I don't know what keeps it filled)
                You talkin about lake Mead? Yeah, if so that would be the Colorado river being blocked up by the Hoover dam. I think they renamed the damm dam though. Been there once, took the guided tour to the insides. Very impressive. JR

Comment

I hate to inform all you "we're letting all the water run into the ocean" folks that our terrain is sloped towards the ocean...
                  -paul

Comment

I would support the construction of an impenetrable wall around California. 😁

Originally posted by psomero View Post
                    I hate to inform all you "we're letting all the water run into the ocean" folks that our terrain is sloped towards the ocean...
                    Bill Pendergrass
                    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
                    Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

I think a lot of you folks have had a little too much Fox News. most of the people who piss and moan about California could not find it on a map.

Comment

Originally posted by rzbill View Post
                        I would support the construction of an impenetrable wall around California. 😁

I (proud Californicator) have long suggested such a wall.

But only on our eastern borders. Oregon is a good neighbor. So is Mexico.

-js
                        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

You talkin about lake Mead? Yeah, if so that would be the Colorado river being blocked up by the Hoover dam. I think they renamed the damm dam though. Been there once, took the guided tour to the insides. Very impressive. JR
                          Nope, much much smaller, in a different area. Maybe a quarter mile from the Mexican border down in Organ Pipe national monument. Can't be much bigger than maybe 4 or 5 acres surface.

Not to far away from El Papalote, but on the US side.

Originally posted by psomero View Post
                          ALL terrain is sloped toward the ocean, pretty much, and that's where ALL the water eventually goes, everywhere. Ho hum, tell us something we don't know.

The issue is getting to USE that water while it is on it's way to the ocean.

See, that drainage ditch through LA is intended to dispose of water safely..... To get rid of it. So, there goes a year's worth of water, and the concern is to get rid of it so it does not cause a flood. In the desert, water is valuable. You do not tend to try to "get rid of that pesky water", you find ways to hold ionto what you need, so that it gets used before it goes away.

Last I checked, LA is in an area much of which is basically a desert. So, it makes sense to take advantage of crazy rains to hold water for future droughts. Lake Powell and Lake Meade do that for the Colorado drainage area already.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Build more cities and golf courses in the desert, thats the South West way.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                              "Legislators have written “strongly worded letters” to state and federal officials demanding to know why 95% of the rainwater that fell on California in recent weeks was allowed to wash out to sea in the California Delta."

But, but, but.......If we don't let the water wash out to sea won't all of the oceans dry up??? / 😉

Comment

The U.S was starting to hurt for year ‘round, reliable source of fresh produce when President Hoover pushed The Six Companies they could together, pull off the building of a dam on the Colorado River to keep it from going to waste, year after year. Jobs were filled, helping to return labor from the depression. Gardner Denver and Mack Truck Companies came alive.

F.D.R was in office upon completion and named the dam ‘Boulder Dam’ during dedication. Other politicians corrected the name to credit engineer Hoover, for his efforts in bringing agriculture to the dry Southwest U.S. and a reliable source of electric power to LA in time for WWII.

Comment

Working...
                                X