Mystery tool holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery tool holder

Anyone recognize these AXA storage holders they are cast aluminum with a machined slot got them in an estate sale no info wondering how old
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slick111; 01-24-2023, 03:40 AM.

Middle one is a cutoff blade holder.

Comment

Could this be used to hold tool holders for grinding the tool without removing it from it's holder? Wood screws suggest a wooden base further suggesting hand touch up work on the tool.???
      DanK
      reggie_obe makes a good point. I fell victim to the very thing I detest...not carefully comprehending what I thought I read. Being a creative person, I quickly saw other uses instead.
      Last edited by Dan Krager; 01-26-2023, 12:33 PM. Reason: reggie's remark
      DanK

Comment

OMG! Reading is fundamental.

OP wrote, "AXA storage holders", or tool holder holder. For storage and organization.
        Has anyone seen this or know who sells or makes them?

Comment

My impression is that these were likely made by a home foundryman with some skills. I like them.
          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
          Oregon, USA

Comment

+1
            Id like a box full of CA size to accidentally fall off the truck here.

The bottom projection seems unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
              My impression is that these were likely made by a home foundryman with some skills. I like them.
              The lack of any brand or maker's marks suggests the same to me. Someone was set up at home for melting and casting aluminum and took advantage of that ability.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The shape means that a collection of holders will take up a fair bit of room. And it needs room enough between multiple vertically spaced rows that the holders can be lifted up and off the dovetails.

I went with a slightly different option. Straight out off the holder and straight on. So the spacing can be fairly close. These dovetail "posts" were done with oak that I had on hand. But they could easily enough be done with metal, plastic or 3D printed as well. And the presentation puts the shape of the tools right handy to the eye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040190.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	2033686

Name:	P1040195.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	2033687

I've since gotten enough more holders that the rack shown is almost full. There's only three spots left open now. And I've got a few shop made ideas for those positions.

If I was doing it again I would not bother with the full dovetail shape. I'd just do a simple bevel cut for this shape.

Name:	Simpler Tool Holder Dovetail Key.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2033688

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

The lack of any brand or maker's marks suggests the same to me. Someone was set up at home for melting and casting aluminum and took advantage of that ability.
                  Bingo!

Comment

I dunno ... the 2 SHCS's look like they are for locking the tool holder into this gizmo. I.e., like 2 tiny pistons. That doesn't make sense for being a storage holder. So, assuming that these screws are for fixing the holder, it looks to me more like a jig for grinding. One or two of its edges would run along a fence that controls the ground angles. The nub at the bottom to grasp it with.

EDIT: WAIT - brain fart. Those screws can't hold it - they're covered by it. Unless they are slotted on the back side, for a screwdriver to tighten. I need a pic of the backside.
                    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 01-26-2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I go with tool storage can't see any way to hold the tool tight enough for grinding or any other operation and with no manufacture markings had to be home made but that's my opinion just saying

Comment

Definitely tool storage, nowdays they could be printed easily.

Comment

They will be 4 sale my lathe is 13 swing with BXA tooling the BXA does fit but is sloppy have 4 of them.

Comment

BCRider, I originally went with plastic dovetail bars screwed to a board, kinda like what you have. Was not really happy with that, so I replaced the board with one drilled on modular spacing for 1/4" pins spaced apart to snug the tool holder nicely. The pins can be moved around by hand (think cribbage board) for quick adjustments. Now Mikey likes it! LOL.
                            DanK
                            DanK

Comment

Name:	Resized_20210306_101309.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	2034103 I made a bunch out of delrin. Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20210306_100327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	381.7 KB ID:	2034101

Comment

Working...
                              X