No announcement yet.

OT - Windows Registry Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" Proper operating system design requires that applications be restricted to a "sandbox" with no write access to system files."
    -----------------------------------------------

I am no expert , or even near one, but Evan makes the point exactly.
    As a mechanical Engineer, I am appalled at computer guys.
    If you have a machine with cams that cannot/should not be revised, you put a locked box around it. If you don't want the motors and controls screwed with, you put a lock on the electric box. This is done every day in the real world
    If you build an electronic organ and tune it with whatever, you lock the box.
    You do not put a tone adjusting pot above each key !
    (that is unless the oscillators you use are so unstable that you need to tune when ever you use the organ)
    But then the organ is only good for trained organ tuners ...right?

That is why we have problems and he addressed it !
    Go Evan !

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

There's only one secure OS... Secure Linux

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.cfm
      Leigh
      The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
      of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

Digital Equipment Corp. had security figured out back in the late '60s with their timesharing systems.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

There's only one secure OS... Secure Linux
          Uh huh. I trust the NSA to not put in a back door. Millions wouldn't but I do. Uh huh.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

All I know about it is I run 98 at home, and rarely have any problem. Like once in a couple years.

Just got XP at work, due to using "Agile"...........

Xp has tripped an fallen repeatedly....... on its face, splat........

Here I thought it was better than 98....

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

The problem is one of complexity. XP has around 25 million lines of code. I don't recall how many lines are in 98 but based on the size of the install it must be around 5 to 10 times less.

I am interested to see how Vista will turn out. I have a copy of the beta but need to upgrade one of my machines with a better video card and some more ram before I can try it. To run the full graphical interface requires a separate video card with 256mb ram and at least 1 gig of system ram.

There is an old saying in the computer business. "Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away".

Comment

If Microsoft can't handle it, maybe they should do something else instead...... They are supposed to be good at this stuff...... and it does work a lot of the time.

But little stuff is so annoying, like toolbars that appear sometimes, and other times refuse to come back, a taskbar that is set to auto hide, but only auto hides when I want to see it........

And then the unannounced lockups...... pull the plug time..... And XP seems to be less tolerant of abnormal shutdowns. It has had to be wiped and re-installed on a bare disk once already.....

As for Vista, isn't that the version that will call home and decide if you have privileges to see your own data and documents? With encoded and encrypted everything, and no way to recover dayta if it forgets you are allowed, or teh disk craps?

Thank you, Adm. Poindexter..... I know you got in there somehow...... bless you with a brick...

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Uh huh. I trust the NSA to not put in a back door. Millions wouldn't but I do. Uh huh.
                  It's open source.
                  Leigh
                  The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
                  of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Comment

It's open source.
                    That isn't sufficient protection in such a complex operating system.

A few years ago a problem was noticed in a module in the build tree for one of the popular versions of Linux. A checksum was off. The code was examined numerous times and nothing unusual was found.

Finally, by pure luck somebody stumbled on the problem. A single line of code had "==" instead of "=" in a statement. Changing the comparison to assignment didn't change the functioning of the code at all. It did however set a flag that allowed the process to be invoked at any privilege level at all and provided a back door to root privileges.

No one is sure if this was simply a coding mistake or an attempt to insert a back door in the code base. If it was a hack it was a brilliant one and almost made it into the distro. Checksums are never 100 percent reliable since that is mathematically impossible.

Something similar could easily be included in the NSA distro and even an army of hackers wouldn't be likely to find it. The NSA has some smart people working for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X