Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sid pileski
    • Apr 2001

I had to research what exactly I was looking at, how to properly pronounce the word "Tourbillon", and the history behind its' invention.
    Here is a good explanation on it:

What is a Tourbillon? Glad you asked! A tourbillon is a hypnotic an breathtaking mechanism used in mechanical watches to regulate time. Watch the video now!

Comment

• Doozer
      • Jan 2005

Now I get to tell my friends that I learned what the word, "Tourbillion" means!
      LOL

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

• Bob Engelhardt
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        [...]
        Not trying to be a jerk, just expressing my opinion.
        [...]
        -Doozer
        You do·· .... ah, never mind.

Comment

• mochinist
          • Oct 2003

Beautiful work and insanely impressive. Not sure what you do for social media, but some short videos of this thing put on instagram reels and tik tok, and you could probably double the price of your regular line of reels and push your order dates out even farther from all the exposure this should generate.
          Guru of something…

Comment

• sid pileski
            • Apr 2001

Go to his web site.
            You'll see lots of examples of similar work and videos.

Sid

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
              • May 2006

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post

Fly fishing reel. Seriously.
              No - sorry, that would be impossible by the pics... like the OP stated it's art... so yeah even the Dooze seen that one coming,,,

there's no reason in the world to have a mechanical time keeping mechanism in a fishing reel --- Seriously..

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                • May 2006

In a sense it's an incredible statement to the builder, look at the attention to detail to the guys "time piece", think he's capable of building a good reel? the guys a zen master...

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  So it is a fishing reel with a non-functional wind up clock inside ?
                  In my opinion, that is rediculous. Call it Art and by the norms of
                  society, that gives you a way for it to be accepted for its astetic
                  appeal and forgives the fact that the clock is not functional.
                  Not trying to be a jerk, just expressing my opinion.
                  Not trying to make you hate me, but if you do, also fine with me.
                  Great job on the machining and great craftsmanship.
                  But this non-function Art thing is not something I can appreciate.
                  If it were more abstract or representational, then I can see it as
                  Art. But it is too true to form, and almost functional, that it really
                  makes the good work wasted. So all that great work and craftsman
                  ship, and it has NO hands to tell time? That is where it stops making
                  sense to me. I mean, you are 95% there, so it seems.
                  Sort of like non-functional hood scoops or side pipes on a car.
                  Fake ornimentation is not for me. But none the less, you have
                  some great skills.

-Doozer
                  Dooze, he just upped the ante on the price of everything else he makes,,, even his "real reels" are unneeded and overly priced im sure - and probably can be outdone performance wise by the guys who are not that concerned with the fancy as much as the function --------- but who cares - he's appealing to the people with big bucks, it's meticulous and second to none and he will get it cuz there's so many people who have spent a lifetime making easy money and their soul lacks integrity for it - they try to regain it somehow in very high quality stuff - and this is indeed that kind of stuff....

get it?

Comment

• jmm03
                    • Apr 2014

Beautiful work sir. Truely a shame that it is likely to be locked away and never seen again by us mere mortals...

Comment

• RSG
                      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

and probably can be outdone performance wise by the guys who are not that concerned with the fancy as much as the function
                      Actually this is not true! This type of reel is used for style of fishing called steelheading, which is a very small community here in NA. If my reels did not perform as good or better then the mass manufactured reels I would have no credibility regardless of how "pretty" they looked. Doing this for the last 30 years I've come to know most of the manufacturers large and small personally, have helped many of them with design issues and currently still consult on finishing development and other areas of centerpin reel building for many manufacturers.

Many of my innovations have been "borrowed" and some outright stolen....of which legal course had to be taken. I've never been interested in going big! I don't need the money but do it for the pure enjoyment of making "functional art"!
                      Ontario, Canada

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by RSG View Post

Actually this is not true! This type of reel is used for style of fishing called steelheading, which is a very small community here in NA. If my reels did not perform as good or better then the mass manufactured reels I would have no credibility regardless of how "pretty" they looked. Doing this for the last 30 years I've come to know most of the manufacturers large and small personally, have helped many of them with design issues and currently still consult on finishing development and other areas of centerpin reel building for many manufacturers.

Many of my innovations have been "borrowed" and some outright stolen....of which legal course had to be taken. I've never been interested in going big! I don't need the money but do it for the pure enjoyment of making "functional art"!
                        Thanks for clarifying that RSG, if that's the case you have it all covered and "form follows function" in the most elegant way, I meant no disrespect, I was just thinking of a "comparison builder" that might not be so "ornate" but put in the same amount of time and care just in area's that might not be glaring at us, but --- sounds like they don't exist,

You really through down the gauntlet on the display model in this OP --- the dang thing is even "jeweled"

You are the most meticulous builder ever to hit this site, absolutely incredible....

Comment

• RSG
                          • Apr 2022

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          You are the most meticulous builder ever to hit this site, absolutely incredible....
                          I appreciate the kind words.....however, based on some of the comments sometimes I wonder why I even bother sharing....?

Anyway, on to new things, I'm about to attempt some watches for my best collectors as gifts in appreciation of their loyalty. Yes Dooze, they will have hands..... ????
                          Ontario, Canada

Comment

• sid pileski
                            • Apr 2001

I appreciate the kind words.....however, based on some of the comments sometimes I wonder why I even bother sharing....?

Anyway, on to new things, I'm about to attempt some watches for my best collectors as gifts in appreciation of their loyalty. Yes Dooze, they will have hands..... ????
                            I would like to follow along on your watch build.
                            Please continue to post.

Thanks, Sid

Comment

• Dan Dubeau
                              • Dec 2008

Believe me, there are lots of people here that appreciate you sharing your projects. I'm one of them. Looking forward to the watch build.

Comment

• mklotz
                                • Mar 2001

Many, many times your forum experience can be greatly enhanced by...

click on your name in upper right corner to see drop-down menu, then...

user settings > account > ignore list (at bottom of page)​
                                Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Working...
                                X