what are these for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are these for

I have seen quite a few indexable tool cutters with the cutter facing to the right hand side and not as usual left what are these for and how do they work I assume the lathe must run in reverse and the tool face the right hand side of the work internally Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I don't know whatthey're for 'cause I can't see em. Got a photo?

Comment

Rusty try this Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-LATHE-TURNIN...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Greenleaf sez "90 degree grooving/profiling toolholder.
        I searched part number 411744-312VGS 3-93 (copied from the Ebay listing) at their website.

Joe

Comment

I have several Greanleaf tools usa made and very good quality Alistair

Comment

Alistair,that tool could be used for normal grooving if you mount it in the front position of a four way toolpost.Alternatively you would use it for face grooving in a cnc where the turret is behind the work.It is not a boring tool.If you have any boring bars of reputable make like that you can send them down to me if you don`t want them.
            Mark
            www.ems-fife.co.uk

Comment

simply a groove tool, I have used similar ones in a swiss screw machine to face,groove and to blend a thread minor to a diameter

Comment

Right-handed Grooving/threading tool.

I have the Kennametal version of that toolholder that takes "Top Notch"
                inserts: I use acme and v-thread Top Notch inserts for turning internal
                threads, and there are dozens of different Top Notch grooving inserts.

The same Top Notch inserts are also used in a several different right-handed and left-handed boring bars.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

How do you turn Acme thhreads on a lathe?

How do you set up a lathe to turn acme threads?Do you set the cross-slide to 14 1/2 degrees?Also when starting on the second start how do you turn the workpiece exactly 180 degrees? I have tried but have not been able to get the grooves to come out evenly spaced.

Comment

Working...
                  X