No announcement yet.

E-Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"An engineer is a man who can do for five bob what any bloody fool can do for a quid."

What the hell is a "bob".

Matt

Comment

A bob is UK slang for what was a shilling or 12 pence when there were 240 to the pound.
      20 shillings to a pound so by today's standard we are looking at 5 pence or about 8 cents.

In those day a bob would get you a cheap meal.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

As an aside I was looking at the contents list of this CD and there are loads of book's on there, some quite recent.

I don't know how they handle the licensing but it must be kosher as some are text file, some are html and some need a program called Microsoft e- book reader.

Here's the list as best as I can convert it over.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevens...s/contents.txt

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

E Book

Sir John,

Thanks for the "trustee from the tool room", I have been looking forever for a copy of it.
          Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

Trustee

Trustee from the toolroom is a good read. A friend at Cabin Fever loaned us a copy.
            Tin
            Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Evan, out of curiosity, does the wordpad trick work for IE, or is it just for text in WP?
              ? I'm not sure what you mean. The file as supplied is a text file with only the most basic formatting.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Wires may be crossed!

Evan, in the previous post by lynnl, i think that the question that he had was the text wrapping in IE. You replied that with wordpad you could change the settings to get the text lines to wrap. Maybe I am making a leap, but I think that the part of capturing the text and moving it to another program has been lost in translation.

So, what I was asking is if the wordpad settings would change the IE settings for some reason. I did not think that one would affect the other, but again there is some quirky stuff with MS products, hense the question.
                Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  ? I'm not sure what you mean. The file as supplied is a text file with only the most basic formatting.
                  Simple,
                  He was asking how do you word wrap in IE ?

Comment

As it turned out, I initially saved it to disk as a .txt file.
                    Then when I opened that it automatically opened it w/Notepad, and the lines were indeed wrapped around.

But I went ahead with what Evan said and opened it with Wordpad (which initially was not 'wrapped') and applied those settings to wrap it, and then resaved it.
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Probably the long way around, I cut and pasted to a Word document, then saved it.

Then I read it.

All commerce came to a halt. I didn't read it in one sitting, but nearly so. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As the author of a few articles in HSM, I could somewhat identify with the hero, or more accuratly, was envious.

For years I have been trying to find a way to adopt such a lifestyle, working in my own shop on the things I want to work on. I almost made it once. I worked alone for 11 years, but due to economic necessity, I built things (control panels, fixtures, machine wiring) for others, as the lowest bidder, under time pressure. Little time left for writing. I'll keep looking for a solution, but in the meantime, I'll keep my day job.

Thank you, Sir John, for a good read.

Wes
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The trick doesn't work in IE. There is no easy way for the user to force a web page to wrap lines.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thank you, Sir John!!!! I have it saved and look forward to getting a chance to read it.

JOn Bohlander
                          Jon Bohlander
                          My PM Blog

Comment

That's quite a list of books on that CD. Any possibility of duplicates being available? Who put out the original CD?
                            North Central Arkansas

Comment

Thanks John,
                              been a fan since I read On the Beach and In the Wet as a teenager but was not aware of this one. My dad has similar tastes & will probably enjoy it too,
                              Regards,
                              Nick

I don't suppose you're a John Wyndham fan too?

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r
                                That's quite a list of books on that CD. Any possibility of duplicates being available? Who put out the original CD?
                                I second that! It'd be nice to have that collection!
                                Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

Working...
                                X