E-Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Books

Looking thru some old CD's tonight for an old program and found a CD called e-Books with various titles on it, loadsin fact.

Amongst these are two of Neville Shutes work, On the Beach and Trustee from the Toolroom.

Here's Trustee, it's 1/2 a meg before you start and it will be here for about a week and then I'll take it down.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevens...oom%20v1.1.txt

Right click to save as.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

thank you very much!
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Likewise, very good, ol chap.What does a sixpence equal in US? I know, I should look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
        Amongst these are two of Neville Shutes work, On the Beach and Trustee from the Toolroom.

Here's Trustee, it's 1/2 a meg before you start and it will be here for about a week and then I'll take it down.
        "On the Beach" is a really creepy story. Shutes is a great author.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

trustee......

Thanks very much,John.I've been looking for a copy for ages.
          Now I won't need to bother.
          I've read"on the beach"and another Shute book ,but I can't for the life of me remember the title.
          I understand that the man himself was a capable model engineer/home machinist.
          Hans

Comment

Thanks Sir John

Rich

Comment

Thanks. Will add this to my reading.

20,000 leagues under the sea is an ebook that is free under the Gutenberg project. You can download a printed version or a sound version. The audio book sounds like a computer reading it but might be better than nothing.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6538

Free books, how cool.

rock-
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Thanks for the book. I'm looking forward to the read!
                Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

Line wrap

s'cuse my ignorance, but how do I make the lines wrap around?

When I view it each line is maybe thousands of chars long. (too long at any rate)
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

lynnl, I just copied all of the test, and pasted it into Word and saved it on my machine. The paragraphs and all appeared as normal when I did. This also secures a copy for future reading!

Comment

Wareagle, is that to say that you cy'd (from the website) and pasted BEFORE saving?

BTW, does your name indicate a connection to Auburn University?
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

lynnl, yes on the first question.

I have to say I am a little confused on the second question; isn't Aurburn U's mascot the 'Tigers'? To answer that question,"no, I am not connected to Auburn".

Comment

s'cuse my ignorance, but how do I make the lines wrap around?
                          Use Wordpad. Select View>Options. Select Text tab. Check "Wrap to ruler".
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Wareagle
                            I have to say I am a little confused on the second question; isn't Aurburn U's mascot the 'Tigers'? To answer that question,"no, I am not connected to Auburn".
                            Yes their (original) mascot (and name) is Tigers. But somewhere along the line they adopted the battle cry "War Eagle". And in recent years have started maintaining one or two eagles (don't remember whether they're bald or golden) which are well trained and are often performed during half time and special events, eg. bowl games. Much like demos that some Falconers will have their birds perform.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Very interesting tidbit on Auburn, lynnl.

I actually got the nickname 'Wareagle' (among others) from a friend of my dad's many years ago. It was one of those things that just stuck. The Auburn U angle sounds much more interesting, but I am afraid that's not the case.

Evan, out of curiosity, does the wordpad trick work for IE, or is it just for text in WP?

Comment

Working...
                              X