Machining ball bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining ball bearings

I have a number of ball bearings (6 mm) that I need to machine down to .22" ONLY around one diameter, creating lozenge or tic tac shaped thingamabobbies. I have no idea how to hold these in order to do the machining... Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Ben Borowsky

you are only taking off 16 thou!

All of my methods would involve a toolpost grinder at that small of a diameter.

Basically making a small brass cup on headstock side, and for live center side, sandwiching the bearing between the two with a little pressure, then spin it while grinding the 16 thou off. With enough pressure, you could probably turn them....but they will be hardened too, so I doubt it.

Comment

Thanks for the response, snowman - the bearings are made of plastic, so I don't have to worry about hardening - I like the idea of the cup, though.

Comment

Plastic ball bearings???
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

They are actually airsoft pellets that I want to try in a bb gun, 22 caliber... I was just simplifying the story.

Comment

I was just simplifying the story.
            Uh huh. Didn't work

Just hold them between two small pieces of tubing. Make one really short and fit it over the end of a live center.

Comment

Sounds good - I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again,

B2

Comment

please dont shoot your friends with airsoft pellets from a 22 air rifle...it will still hurt, and possibly maim

Comment

pastic pelets

I have vacuum chuck for my woodworkig lathe, would that work for you? Basically it is 2 tubes with a ball bearing connecting them. One end of this gizmo gets connected to a vacuum cleaner, and the other end attaches to the back of the holow shaft of the lathe. What you put on the working end of the tube/shaft is up to you. It has considerable holding power, namely for something so small and light and smooth as the plastic ball you are talking about. I use it to attach blocks of wood for turning. I like Evan's idea too with the two tubes, it seems really simple. Vic
                  Last edited by smagovic; 07-19-2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    Plastic ball bearings???
                    http://www.kmsbearings.com/pbb_rams.htm

Comment

Yeah, but they have SS balls. You can special order plastic ones but the only plastic balls I know of in general use are these.

http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html

Comment

Bearings

Ben
                        Bore a hole in a piece of steel and push the plastic balls thru to reduce their diameter.

JRW

Comment

Yes , Swage them.

Comment

I will try swaging first, and then the tube idea... And I'm making them to chronograph first - I KNOW they'll be fast, and want to see how fast before I try them in a game. If they are reliably too fast, I'm going to try some barrel modifications to see if I can slow them down to 550. Thanks for all your help, guys, I really appreciate it.

B2

Comment

While we're on this subject, how would you go about holding and grinding a larger (say 1/2") ball bearing in order to grind a flat on one?

I want a few to use with my Kurt vise for holding irregular work when I want a single point of contact.

Best,

BW
                              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Working...
                              X