Best book on learning Auto Cad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best book on learning Auto Cad?

My college never had any cad classes and every time I load up auto cad I get mad at it and uninstall it. Im going to force myself to like it and use it as it is the industry standard, I'd just like the proper introduction in using it. In the past I went about it like pistol shooting, starting off with a .45 then cursing myself later on about my body flynching every time I pull the trigger. How did any of you learn auto cad?

In the short term what would you like to be able to do with AutoCad? What do you think that you have the most trouble with?

There are probably some simple starting points that you could learn that would make everything start to flow.

Are you starting with 3D or 2D objects?

Are you pretty good at thinking in X, Y, and Z?

I'll bet I could steer you in the right direction.

Comment

I bought the book "Inside AutoCAD LT," started at the beginning, and worked my way through each exercise. About a third of the way into the book, I began to get the hang of the AutoCAD view of the world.

Once I got oriented to the AutoCAD way of doing things, everything began to make sense and be pretty easy to follow, but until then it was complete confusion.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Autocad for dummies worked for me, worth the money,got it for $2.99 at a book sale.

Comment

Respectfully

Do you HAVE to use AutoCAD? To me, TurboCAD is much easier and will read, edit and save .dxf and .dwg file formats also. It's more Windows oriented and is available in different prices all the way from free (full featured earlier version 2D program) to very reasonable and functionally is NOT a cheapo program or early AutoCAD wannabe.
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I used to teach Autocad at a local community college. We used the following text.
            Autocad and Its Applications: Basics : Autocad 2004 (AutoCAD and Its Applications) (Paperback) by Terence M. Shumaker, David A. Madsen

You can use just about any version of this book so long as it is two releases from what your on. ie - An rel. 12 book will get you by on rel. 13.

rock-
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I'm not an expert in AutoCad by any means, but I can do 3d stuff. I'm sure there are easier ways to do what I do - I've heard good things about SolidWorks.

I learned at work by looking over the shoulder of a coworker. Asked a few questions, bought beers after work. I suppose I have about 4 hours of assisted training time, and the rest was hacking about with the program. Once I got a little familiar, I got it all setup the way I like it - just like you might setup your computer OS and desktop the way you like it.

I don't have a lot of experience with the competing products, but based on working with AutoCad and what I've heard here, there must be a better way, especially for 3D stuff. YMMV.

-Mark
              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Sjorgensen, I know my axis's pretty well, I actually do own turbo cad but I hate the way they implement boolean functions. Namely doing a boolean operation on 2 closed splines, it gives some wierd error message that I translated to, "Sorry, this is not a solid object, go screw yourself"

I mainly want to start off with 2d. My thinking is that while im in Florida, I want to design projects for a future time when I can work on them in my shop, namely model steam locomotives. I do want to migrate to 3d and I have tried solid works and enjoyed it very much but the copy I had, had a very annoying bug in it that I cannot blame the software maker for. Namely every time I started it, it would assume I was a new user and I would haveto adjust all the menus and settings every time.

****ey Bird, Yes, I do own turbo cad, It wont do what I want it to do and trying to find work arounds to make it do something is something I dont want to bother with.
                Rockrat and IOWOLF, I'll check out amazon for used copies, thanks.

Wirecutter, I have tasted solidworks and I like it very much, I just dont want to spend the money on an education version that will stop working after a certain period of time, I dont believe in that crap.

Comment

Bill. Which autocad version are you using? My intro class last year was fun only because I had the textbook and almost unlimited time to play with the program. The instructor tried to cover too much material and by the end of the semester everyone was lost. I literally taught myself and just asked questions when I got stuck. There are exercises in the back of each chapter in the manual which are very helpful. So along with 'autocad for dummies' I reccomend the textbook as well.
                  Right now I have the 2005 version and I understand the 2007 version is going to be completely different from any of the previous ones.

Comment

im using 2005 right now

Comment

I learned on Autocad rel. 10 in 1992 , back then we had dos 5.0 as on OS.

After a year of that stuff I never did use it on the job. Autocad is way overpriced , that why the pirates crack it and pass it around for nothing.

I think to learn it you use the help and spend some time playing with it. I like to use the command prompt more then the menus.

Comment

I started on release 10 as well, prior to that I used Generic Cad a little bit, everything else was on a drawing board. I haven't upgraded since 2000i as it just isn't worth it for the limited capabilities, and I've been using Solidworks almost exclusively since 2003.
                        However I still prefer AutoCad when doing basic 2D drawing, particularly since the dimensioning and layer features are far less clumsy than trying this in Solidworks.

As has been said, the best way to learn it is to use it, run the tutorials, and use online help.

Peter

Comment

Microsoft.net is giving me hell with Auto Cad 2005, god does everything bill gates touch turn to crap?

Im trying solidworks again! This is crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
                            Wirecutter, I have tasted solidworks and I like it very much, I just dont want to spend the money on an education version that will stop working after a certain period of time, I dont believe in that crap.
                            Oooh, I hate that, too - drives me right up a tree.

There's nothing like a nerdy workplace for obtaining evaluation copies of those fancy dancy programs. Oops - did I just say that out loud?

-Mark
                            The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Bill,
                              Go to http://www.cadopia.com and in the top right it says download evaluation.
                              Go to that age and register, it's free, and once you get your password go to the download page and there is a manual on Intellicad which is an Autocad CAD clone.
                              That close all the commands work.
                              This is not a simple book but a full 200 odd page manual and well worth the download.
                              Be aware that it's about a 10 meg pdf file.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X