Delta DP350 Variable Speed Drill Press Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MyrtleLake
    • Nov 2015

Honestly, I like the drill press itself. It's fault lies in materials really...

Comment

• Stu
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by MyrtleLake View Post
      FWIW, are those pulleys bigger or smaller in regards to bore, OD size, etc.?
      Its been a while since I repaired it but I recall one pair I had to bore and one pair bore and bush (I did both front and rear). Since the outer diameters were slightly different from the originals I needed a Wen v belt as well. The part # are 4212B-016 and 4212B-015 for the motor pulleys. With a mismatch of the Delta on front and Wen on the rear you will probably have to experiment with different belts to get the thing to work right, I suspect belt size is critical. FYI, messing with the front pulleys and control lever is a nightmare of epic proportions. At least it was for me, there is very little room to put everything back in.
      Last edited by Stu; 05-18-2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Stu
        • Jul 2007

I was looking through my stuff and I still have the old motor pulleys, one (I think the upper) has some cracks, but the other is good. There yours if you want to try to make them work. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0001[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	2048511 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0002[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	2048512

Comment

• Tundra Twin Track
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MyrtleLake View Post
          ...the great irony is I have a beautiful, Reeves-drive operated, floor standing drill press with backgear in my home shop. This is what happens when "employers" make decisions on purchases! Haha! Oh, well.

The point is, I actually appreciate Reeves drives. They're not really that complicated. They simply need to be built well. And the pulleys should not be pot metal.
          In the agricultural sector reeves are used a lot in Combine Harversters are capable of holding over 600hp,in a overloaded plugged rotor or rotors they will stall a engine in a couple seconds.

Comment

• MyrtleLake
            • Nov 2015

Stu! You are so kind. Thank you!
            I'll send you a PM later today.
            I really appreciate it!!

Comment

• Doozer
              • Jan 2005

If parts are seized together
              you might get better results from
              holy water than penetrating oil.
              Although hoping the penetrating oil will work
              is a form of faith-based mechanical work.

-D
              DZER

Comment

• MyrtleLake
                • Nov 2015

Haha. A very scholarly observation, Doozer.
                It is true; penetrating oil has never released a part on its own. Whether it helped with whatever mechanical method is finally used in removing--or to what extent--is certainly a subjective belief

Comment

• J Tiers
                  • Jan 2004

Heh....... not as much faith as an easy-out requires.

I just had penetrating oil work twice in one day, on rusted parts. Of course it was old-formula Liquid Wrench, not one of the new versions with all the good stuff removed.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Stu
                    • Jul 2007

Arthur, check your PM I need a street address.

Comment

• MyrtleLake
                      • Nov 2015

Stu is awesome. 'nuff said

As for the earlier comment on lack of space around the cam / front pulley/etc. I watch these videos where people can sneak their belt through the exceedingly small space between the front pulley OD and the front panel of the machine. Not mine! Haha. There's no way I can find to do that short of removing the top half of the sheave. Tight quarters, indeed!

A random thought: The rear pulley top half slides on the keyed motor shaft. The insert on the sheave doing this is plain steel... Wouldn't bronze actually be better? I realize it is transmitting torque on the key--and bronze is softer than mild steel, but... It was just an offhand thought.

Comment

• MyrtleLake
                        • Nov 2015

After receiving the motor pulley (both halves), I used a bearing puller to get the stuck steel sleeve off the motor shaft. It was coated thick with dried up grease (?) mixed with copious amounts of dirt. That was the origin of my problem, it would seem.

Cleaned off the motor shaft. Put the steel sliding sleeve in the parts washer, reamed it out, lined up the fixed lower half keyway with the sleeve keyway and the upper sheave half. And used a load of superglue to fix the sleeve in place in the upper pulley half. Then, for good measure, applied some Loctite gap-filling metal retaining compound--which was also used on the starting cracks on the replacement parts.

Greased up the shaft; installed; then some spray white lithium lube on the spring + exposed motor shaft.

The drill press works like a charm now! ...perhaps for the first time in its existence. Haha.

Stu is awesome Thanks again, Stu!!
                        Last edited by MyrtleLake; 05-25-2023, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Stu
                          • Jul 2007

I actually got something out of the deal, it reminded me to lube my machine.

Comment

Working...
                          X