Slightly OT Cleaning cermaic motar/pestle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT Cleaning cermaic motar/pestle

Anybody with a chem lab type background? I purchased a couple of boxes of art room class supplies was supposed to be enameling powder and glass threads and lumps. Included was a number or mortars/ and pestles with stains and curd in the bottoms of each. a couple cleaned up good with a cleaner and water. Have one with wax melted in the bowl. Scraped most of the junk and chunks out. Do you have any ideas or tips on removing the stains. Will be trying the small air brush blaster I have on the wax one. I had not realized that they cost $55.00 for the mortar 4.5" dia and $29.40 for the pestle. Till I was placing an order on the enamel company web site and came across them for sale.
    Last edited by PTSideshow; 07-24-2006, 04:23 PM.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Put the wax coated one in the oven on the self clean cycle. Open a window.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Have burned the mortar out in a gas grill with the cover down, Don't thing I want to try that with the other halfs stove even if she nevers uses it. With my luck it would get down into someplace that it would smell everytime the stove was turned on LOL
      Glen
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

It won't hurt the oven if it's just wax. Self cleaning ovens heat to about 800F to burn out the grease. Just say you heard that a little candle wax helps the cleaning process and take credit for helping with the kitchen chores. Also prepare a plausible backup story.

Comment

Since I be retired /retarted and she works I'm doing all the cooking now and she won't buy that. and she won't listen to any back up stories after 31 years lol
          Glen

Comment

Yeah, it never works for me either.

Comment

I think 800* is well above the flash point for wax. You may blow the door off the oven if you try to "bake" it out.

Have you tried damp Comet cleaner?

Comment

Doubt it. Grease also burns. The flash point for chicken fat is 525F

Comment

Slightly OT Cleaning cermaic motar/pestle

If it is a parafin based wax then you should be able to cut it with acetone (in a well ventillated place with NO sources of ignition around) and it should not leave a residue. I used to take the wax off surfboards by heating with hot water and then rubbing them down with acetone on a rag. It took off the remains and left them shiney.

Jim (KB4IVH)
                  Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

LOL... Yabut, How would you explain the new "Smoke Glass" oven door? Or the "tinted" light?

Evan, I think an experiment is in order! How about you bake a chicken on "Clean" and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Scishopguy
                      If it is a parafin based wax then you should be able to cut it with acetone (in a well ventillated place with NO sources of ignition around) and it should not leave a residue. I used to take the wax off surfboards by heating with hot water and then rubbing them down with acetone on a rag. It took off the remains and left them shiney.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Acetone? I bet that shiny was just your glazed eyes reflecting back.

Comment

Evan, I think an experiment is in order
                        Are you kidding? It's way too hot to turn on the oven. Wife cooked a chicken yesterday but we set it up in the garage shop on a workbench in a crockpot. That's best the garage has ever smelled. Aroma of roasted chicken with just a hint of WD-40 and gear lube.

Comment

So now let me get this straight
                          1 I take a chicken,polish its head with a cloth dipped in acetone.
                          2 Put the mortar on the chickens head
                          3 Fill beer can with acetone, jam can up chickens backside.
                          4 place up right on BBQ grill and run like hell.
                          5 Check to see if the glass in the oven gets smoked or tinted?
                          Glen

Comment

the acetone did remove much of the wax that had sunk in the poruos bowl of the mortar.didn't do much for the staining around the wax drops. But by trying a number of different solvents of varing degrees of hazard. with washing in between with H2O/ simplegreen I trhink all but the most deep stains are off the surface of the bowls. As they will be used in grinding enamel lump glass frit I don't think there will be a problem with any contamition.
                            Glen

Comment

Are you doing some cloisinne work?

Comment

Working...
                              X