Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to put my lathe back together..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to put my lathe back together..

and for the parts that are not oil bathed, what kind of grease should I use?

The parts I am talking about are the gears in the saddle that move along the feed screws. The connection between the feed screw and the ?bronze? bushing?

etc.

If I have opened up a can of worms and you need more specific questions, let me know.

What does the book say to use?

Boat trailer axle, roller bearing grease........ works for everything.
    Gene

Comment

ok, so nothing critical.

I know what the book says for oil, shell tellus 32 or something like that. But i dont remember the grease part.

Comment

I would use thin grease. Really thin grease. In fact so thin that it resembles oil. In fact, use oil. Chips have a habit of getting anywhere and grease will glue them there. Unless the unit is sealed the chips will get stuck in the grease.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Oil. At the slow speeds most of the parts move, oil will stay put.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

They also make a special grease for use on exposed gears and chucks that is a heavy tar like substance. It is supposed to keep chips from sticking, and has "self healing" properties such that it closes gaps made by gear mesh and the like. I've been looking for some Mobiltac 375 NC (and there are others like it) for use on my QCGB and gear train as well as chucks.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Non sticky grease sounds like an oxymoron.

Comment

So does jumbo shrimp but its still on the menus ...

Comment

All I know is that is the claim. It also came up in reference to being the "preferred" grease for chucks for the same reason. VERY high film strength, self repair, and low chip retention all sound pretty good for the application, assuming it works as advertised. Apparently Dow, Texaco and several others make such things including some marketed specifically as "chuck grease". The Mobile stuff (google it for more info) sounds enticing and I would like to try it, but can’t find it at the usual suspects and “Mobil Dealers” sell only 5 gallon drums.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Oil is cleaner and much easier to "renew" than grease. I use way oil for everything (apron, ways, tailstock) except the QCGB and the headstock. The mfgr called out DTE26 but the way oil stays put and is very compatible with ... the way oil

For the chuck, I've had good luck (read: no black streak down my shirt) with thick, black, moly based disc brake grease. From my limited experience with several chucks (greased with expensive chuck grease at the factory), the chuck grease seems to hold swarf with the best of them.

Comment

I use oil only. I use a lot of oil. The only problem I have with oil is that I have to wipe off the excess from time to time. My lathe is covered in oil.

Comment

Evan,
                        Did you ever try using oil?
                        "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
                          All I know is that is the claim. It also came up in reference to being the "preferred" grease for chucks for the same reason.
                          as "chuck grease". The Mobile stuff (google it for more info) sounds enticing and I would like to try it, but can’t find it at the usual suspects and “Mobil Dealers” sell only 5 gallon drums.
                          BadDog,

When you asked about this on PM, Matt Isserstadt and I warned you how sticky Gearshield and/or Mobiltac is! The Open Gear lubes have tons of additional tackifiers added, so they are very sticky, hence the use for open gears (so it doesn't get slung off).

Chuck grease has 25% Molybdenum Disulfide. Very different animal.

http://ecommerce.ntwhi.com/productDe...?ProductID=801

Robert
                          Last edited by lazlo; 07-24-2006, 10:12 PM.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The trouble with moly filled grease is the staining potential. That stuff is worse than printers ink. It migrates everywhere.

Comment

"It migrates everywhere", kinda like mexicans huh?
                              "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Working...
                              X