X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSIMDO
    • Jan 2005

Good fortune smiled upon me...

Not a gloat. I don't like to tempt fate that way, but all this is too good to be true.

Finished wiring my IH mill and sighed " Done and done but it'll be some time before I can afford tooling!"

Well...not so fast.

A friend at work said his brother was out of a job as his company just sold out. "Will they be having an auction?" I asked. "No, all the machines went to the new owners, but what do you need?" was his response.

"Oh, heck, a R8 collet or two...maybe some hold-downs. Just junk to get me going."

The next day in my truck was a box FULL of collets (used & beat up but I'm NOT complaining!)

The next day....end mills, both RH and LH and two sets of parallels.
    -And drill bits.
    -And a fly cutter. (uses 2 cutters but the arbor is bent where the head screws on the arbor, so I only use one cutter, right!?)
    -And a #36 Jacobs drill chuck.
    -T nuts.

(((((00)))))

"He says there's also this round thing that sits on the mill table and you turn a crank...."

"Yes, YES, YES, I'll take it!!!"

pant pant pant...

So then yesterday I was talking with the guy who heads our repair division and I asked him how he trams his mill, with a dial indicator or a test indicator?

"Oh, I just use a dial indicator with a mount I made and tram it off the vise. Ya know, I've got an extra Kurt vise back here. Come look."

There it is, a NIB Kurt D40.

"Wanna buy it? We'll have to go thru the purchasing department though."

"Aw, hell, I can't afford what one of these costs" I moaned.

"Can you swing $100 ?" (((00)))

Needless to say it now sits on my mill.

Now, let me add that all that time I had a picture of a Kurt to give to my friend to tell his brother that if they had anything like that left...beat up or not....I'd take it.

Lottery tickets next.
    Len
  • Tin Falcon
    • May 2004

Sounds like the machinist Gods have smiled upon thee!!
    Tin
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

• Fasttrack
      • Jul 2005

Hey share the wealth!! Just kidding

Sounds like you'll be busy in the shop for a while playing ... er i mean "working"

Comment

Wholy cow, nice score!

Comment

• wierdscience
          • Jan 2003

Every so often you hit one,enjoy!
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Wareagle
            • Nov 2005

Right place; right time! Wow, what a deal! Enjoy your treasures!

BTW, what are your lottery numbers?
            Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

• doctor demo
              • Apr 2006

nice score

all that cool stuf, and no lead hammer ? take it back!
              steve

Comment

• John Stevenson
                • Mar 2001

Were the end mills sharp ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Arbo
                  • Aug 2003

OK...That deserve a great big...

YOU SUCK!

Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                    • May 2006

Yin Yang

be careful of the Yin Yang effect, the universe has a way of balancing itself out, today free tools tomorrow your mill throws a hefty chunk of metal at your forehead (just kidding)

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

I'm with Boomer. Take care crossing streets for the next little while. Nice haul.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• ERBenoit
                        • Jan 2004

Reminds me of.....

The flexible packaging manufacturer I used to work for. They wanted to buy two pairs of calipers to set anvils on an anvil shaft on a rotary slitter/shear. The manner in which they wanted to use them, impossible. Their idea.. you would be set the anvils to the correct spacing by hooking the solid jaw against the face if one anvil and setting the face of the next against the moveable jaw. Being the only person in the department with a machining background in a printing/paper converting environment, I told them you will not even find a pair capable of being used that way. I told them you could probably have a set custom made, if you want to shell out BIG $$$. They said we'll try it anyway. Jokingly, I said when they do not work as you want them to, I will buy the calipers at half price. They said deal. I though they were joking too, until the department supervisor told me that their idea wasn't working as they expected, You win. I scored a brand new 0"-12" Mitutoyo Digimatic Electronic caliper for less than $100.00. They scored an I told you so. (This was about ten years ago). Those calipers today, brand new, neighborhood $350.00.

Some of the radiant "heat" from the collets, end mills drills etc. may even offset the heating bills this winter. (meant to be funny). I wouldn't refuse them or ask questions either.

Again, Nice score on the "stuff". How did you make out on the lottery tickets?
                        Last edited by ERBenoit; 07-26-2006, 06:01 PM.
                        Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Working...
                        X