Been playing with SolidWorks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been playing with SolidWorks

Oh man, I LOVE this program!!! It is like every erector set, every lego set, and everything else in the world combined into a limitless giant sand box of AWSOMENESS!
    Really, I downloade the MIT intro pdf to it and I am already doing things I could only dream about doing few days ago. It's like I can test out what ever I machine before I machine it!
    Yeh, I FOUND my cad program, woohooo.
    Oh yeh, I also welded today with my uncles mig, fun fun fun.

You'll really love it when you start adding on the databases for fasteners, standard sheetmetal components , etc. ...
    The e-drawings thingy is wonderful as well. especially if you're not working on a project alone.
    Are you going to use it for cnc machining? If yes, What CAM will you use?

Comment

I get to play with it all day every day.

Sorry ignore that.
      What I should have said was my company has insisted that I use it to carry out my everyday job as a design engineer.

I'm still like a kid with a new toy though !!

Phil

Comment

Bill -
        What version are you working with?

I'm curious about this one, since I've used AutoCad and it's a bit of a hassle sometimes, and SolidWorks gets good reviews. Dare I ask what the limitations are for the student version? It seems to be a pretty pricey package - what kind of $$ would be required to get going with a basic 3D drawing setup? Thanks.

-Mark
        The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Dare I ask what the limitations are for the student version?
          It appears the most significant limitation is this:

Twenty-four (24) month term-of-use license
          http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prod...nsoftware.html
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

" I downloaded the MIT intro pdf ..."

Where/how do you do that?
            Roger
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              It appears the most significant limitation is this:

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prod...nsoftware.html
              Uh, that's not bad at all. Consider how often you're supposed to upgrade the latest version of Windoze or micro$oft orifice, and how much it costs.(Not that it makes me happy to be nagged about upgrading every couple of years.)

If that were the only limitation, I will have no problem buying a new $125 "student edition" every 24 months. I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard, and that's why I suspect there are more onerous limitations as well.

-Mark
              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Thats a very good price, depending of course on how function limited it is.

I pay آ£1250+ in the UK for annual maintenance on Solidworks Office Professional, and I'm trying to decide whether to cary on with this and upgrade from 2006 to 2007.

My biggest gripe is the lack of backwards file compatibility.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
                  Oh man, I LOVE this program!!! It is like every erector set, every lego set, and everything else in the world combined into a limitless giant sand box of AWSOMENESS!
                  How the heck can you afford it? It runs $3,995 for a single seat license, with a mandatory subscription service of $1295/year.

In order to purchase the student license, you have to be actively enrolled in an acredited educational institution (many community colleges won't qualify, according to the contract on SolidWorks' web page).

I've been using Alibre (the enhanced version for the first 100,000 early enrollees) and it's pretty good, but it doesn't compare to SolidWorks. Then again, I can be pretty forgiving for a $4,000 difference

I also have, and hate, TurboCAD 9/10.
                  Last edited by lazlo; 07-28-2006, 08:23 PM.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                    How the heck can you afford it? It runs $3,995 for a single seat license, with a mandatory subscription service of $1295/year.

In order to purchase the student license, you have to be actively enrolled in an acredited educational institution (many community colleges won't qualify, according to the contract on SolidWorks' web page).

I've been using Alibre (the enhanced version for the first 100,000 early enrollees) and it's pretty good, but it doesn't compare to SolidWorks. Then again, I can be pretty forgiving for a $4,000 difference

I also have, and hate, TurboCAD 9/10.
                    haha solid works can be had for free if you are so inclined to search it out, I'm not saying billh did that though

Comment

Student edition
                      As for CNC, You know that is the ultimate goal after I'm completely done with school, have my own house and workshop and can dump money into toys.

For the CAM end of things, since I am a major fan of LINUX it would be EMC, what the sherline stuff uses. As for converting the G-code, i'll worry about that when the time comes, lol.
                      Im running version 2006. Sorry for the late reply, I couldnt get onto the server for most of the day.
                      As for the MIT intro pdf(It contains the built in tutorials of 2006 but much more detailed and meant for 2001 but works just fine with 2006)
                      You can get it here http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/softw...s_Tutorial.pdf
                      Last edited by BillH; 07-28-2006, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Aside from being illegal and unethical (certainly for commercial purposes), many of todays software packages phone home ... or have a broadband pipeline, passing either statistical, license or other information.

Qualifying as a student isn't that big of a deal, especially if your course load is heading you toward status as a future customer

I use SolidEdge at work and we also have SolidWorks. Both have similar capabilities. Both are extremely habit forming when it comes to having parts appear before your eyes and then having 2D or 3D fab prints just about fall out of them.

One of them used to have a $495 lite version a few years back and I was sad to see it go. There are home licenses now which work out nicely if you need a home seat to catch up on your day work or whatever comes along

Comment

I've looked at Solidworks and Solidedge. I've only really used Solidworks, and done a webcast of Solidedge. Guess where Solidworks gets their engine/kernal from? Solidedge is almost the same thing and it is a heck of lot cheaper.

I was talking to one of the corporate solidege people and she told me "we prefer you buy Solidedge, but if you buy solidworks we get paid anyways".

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but solidedge was less than half the price and no mandatory maintainance/service agreement.

Comment

I believe that our seats of SolidEdge are in the $4k to $6k range each and thought SolidWorks was about the same but I could be wrong on that. SolidEdge annual maintenance is something like $1600 (not sure if this was total or per seat). The SolidEdge gets used heavily while the SolidWorks is maintained for sustaining work only. The SolidEdge seems to get the job done more easily and has a powerful resource manager (revision control, drawing tracking, etc.).

Comment

If I ran a software company that did CAD programs, I would make my full featured cad program completely free to all students and hobbyists and charge the piss out of the buisness licenses.
                              What would happen is that everyone in school would learn my program because of the cost and employers would have an easy time finding workers who know it and wouldn't think twice to adapt my program and the rest is history. Ofcourse my program would really have to be the cats meow, so far I think solid works is.
                              Nheng, yes, programs do phone home but only if you let them thru the firewall.
                              Im going to set a drop all rule on the linux firewall for outgoing connections and only allow my linux box access to the net. Not because of any legal reasons but because Im sick of all the damn spy ware on windows. Linux is nice since it uses file ownership, no viruses spreading to other files. I want to preserve this computer only for cad/photoshop and my games.

Comment

Working...
                              X