OT: Fast car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Fast car

Check it out: Zero to 60 in 4 seconds. Electric. 250 miles range.

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0...l?tw=rss.index
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...light=cuemaker

Comment

Yabut, this one is actually going into production.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I know and its cool. I wish I could afford one.

I looked up my post to see if it was the same guy.

Its interesting that its all happening in the sillycone valley.

The new dot com boom is cars????

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          Yabut, this one is actually going into production.
          So did the DeLorean and Tucker.

They were going to revolutionize the industry too. How many more can you name that turned out to be scams or failures?
          Jim H.

Comment

Those guys will be bought out by 1 of the big 3 and never be heard from again.

IMHO

Comment

250 miles,but what is it when you flip the ac or the heater on?
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                250 miles,but what is it when you flip the ac or the heater on?
                My guess is that the AC is opening the windows, as for heat, I guess you could blow some air off the heat sinks for the dynamic breaking instead of routing it back to charge the batteries. Better yet dress warm, lol.
                1 cent a mile, i'd do it. You know though, if those LI batteries ever go bad, thats going to cost a fortune...

Comment

The AC & heat issue is never mentioned when the wonders of these cars are written up. Also missing, as Bill h mentions is the life and replacement costs of the battery packs. Imagine walking into your neighborhood AutoZone and asking the mouthbreather at the counter for replacement batteries for a 2006 Tesla Roadster.

Oh yeah, what is the 0-60 time at mile 245?
                  Jim H.

Comment

Things will have to go a long way before this becomes a viable option. The technology works and they can build 'em; but who's going to buy them, who's going to service them, and who will have parts for them? Only the wealthy would be able to afford to have one, and it would be more of a token of social status than a method of transportaion.

A range of 250 miles? What about traffic? What about temperature? What about wind? What about grades? What about the fat driver and fat passenger? If they are baseing their claim on labratory conditions, then I could see 250 miles; maybe. Real world is where it counts, and I'd bet the actual range would fall much shorter.

It is a neat looking ride, no doubt. It would be great if this would come of age, but I am affraid that it will be like JCHannum says, another DeLorean.
                    Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

I'd take an old honda civic or subaru Justy, make it electric and use it for only driving into the town and grocery store, save the gas guzzler for road trips.
                      Infact I think I saw a web page where a guy did just that with an old honda civic... Think he used a fork lift motor hooked into the old transmission.

Comment

I think we should go back to steam power - just use big wood burning boilers on all the cars. Everything would be much safer... besides its not like anyone really likes the forests anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                          I think we should go back to steam power - just use big wood burning boilers on all the cars. Everything would be much safer... besides its not like anyone really likes the forests anyway...
                          If cold fusion becomes fact, we will all be going back to steam. Yes, I dream of steam locomotives comming back but I doubt they will have external rods, just those pesky turbines hidden away. Hmm, nah, the maintence costs would still cost a fortune

Comment

The Doble “steamâ€‌cars produced between 1923 and 1930 weighing over 4000 lb. could accelerate from 0 to 75 mph in under 5 seconds and could maintain a top speed of over 95 mph.
                            They used a flash boiler that could produce a working head of steam in one minute and were known to have traveled over 200,000 miles having only routine oil and tire changes.

Comment

Electric vehicle technology....

Guys;
                              Remember the General Motors EV-1....no need of conspiracy theories or small companies being bought off....GM did their own product in.....It was a good, high performance car. Engineering an almost-conventional modified lead-acid battery got the range to just over 200 miles per charge....this was in the 1990's....
                              Most current conversions (Fords Electric Ranger p/u, 1000 lbs of battery & little payload) & small manufactures electric cars are only marginally better than the electric runabouts made at the turn of the century. (Think of a phone booth on wheels packing around 800 lbs. of lead-acid battery. Complete with tiller steering and rubber-bulb AhhOOOgha horn....driven by your crazy 80 yr. old great aunt. I had one in Victoria, apparrently...) As for this new car, or the existing hybrids...you DO NOT want to own a used one & have to replace the batteries....$$$$ ...!!!!
                              Electric cars need to work most on the storage medium to become truly competitive for anything other than an around-town runabout.
                              Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X