Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went to a sale today..............Sheesh....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to a sale today..............Sheesh....

Estate sale, held by family.

The poor deluded woman holding the sale was asking 3 to 10 times more than stuff sells for. She got the prices off Ebay....

Box of a couple dozen drills, not new, needed sharpened....$80 Cigar box full, same condition, $140, with a few reamers in there too.

Odd misc fixtures, obviously single-purpose shop-made......$30 to $60 each.

4 tiny 1 or 2" angle plates made from steel angle stock.... 4 for $40

Worn out 0.001 reading Lufkin mics......looked beat, rattled a bit.... $30 each.

Boxes with misc, sold by the box, for $30 to $90 per..... counterbores in one, counterbore noses in another...... Not listening to any comments even though SHE asked......

She said anything she doesn't sell at those prices is going on ebay....... Wished her luck and left.

She had been assured by her father how much that stuff was worth back when it was bought , and she wasn't taking a nickel less now......

Oddly, she had a pristine clean showroom-new Rockwell-Delta radial drill press (the round post, round arm woodworking one) for which she was asking only $85. I know those are not great, but that seemed low, particularly given the other prices.

I mentioned that it seemed low, to which she replied, "well, maybe but it's still there, so it can't be that low"...... where was that thought for the other stuff?????
    Last edited by J Tiers; 07-29-2006, 06:14 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Yea those old ladys, once they have something in there heads,you can't pry it out with a crowbar.

Comment

My mom had me put some stuff on E-bay and she ask's WAY too much for stuff that just collects dust. If I had the money I would buy all her junk from her just so I dont have to mess with it anymore.

Some old women dont understand till they want to buy it. Then the truth comes right out.

Comment

Been there, done that, except it was the widow of a friend/acquaintance that was doing the selling. She knows that I buy and sell, but when she has prices that are way beyond reason, the nature of the "appraisal" became apparent. When she picked up a washer off the floor, and said it was worth a nickel, I had enough, and was gone within 5 minutes. The other 2 "appraisers" there didn't fare any better, and I they were gone shortly after I left.
        Harry

Comment

One of my neighbors has a metal bandsaw that looks like it has seen both world wars. He said he wanted to sell it, so I looked at it. The motor is froze up, the table is rusted to the point of being pitted, the tires are rotted, the bearings are shot, and there appears to be a crack in the frame around the table mount (looks like it may have fallen over). He only wanted $1900 for it.

It might make a decent boat anchor!
          Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

Ah, this is what we call the "Ebay Effect".

Comment

I don’t mind it when some “little old ladyâ€‌ or someone who really doesn’t have a clue as to a realistic value of something and over prices it – after all – I don’t have to buy it. The people who really bother me are the ones who DO know the value of something and then way over price it! They are just looking to take advantage of someone and their sole intention is to cheat someone.

On the flip side I’ve seen some nice things priced insanely low and some darn fool will still try and talk down the price to that “little old ladyâ€‌. To me, a good deal works two ways!

Comment

A friend and I ran an ad in the paper saying we were looking for machinists and metalworking tools. I'd say about 80% of the people had prices so high they were close to new prices, with less than new condition.
                We finally gave up after one too many trips that yielded nothing but frustration. A few times we did actually get something close to a good deal. But then again this is similar to the problem of uninformed people bidding too much for items at auction...
                Now occasionally you could tell that someone was trying to screw you by pricing for ignorance, but often they were the people that didn't know what one thing was and priced it too low...
                Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                  Estate sale, held by family.

The poor deluded woman holding the sale was asking 3 to 10 times more than stuff sells for. She got the prices off Ebay....

Box of a couple dozen drills, not new, needed sharpened....$80 Cigar box full, same condition, $140, with a few reamers in there too.

Odd misc fixtures, obviously single-purpose shop-made......$30 to $60 each.

4 tiny 1 or 2" angle plates made from steel angle stock.... 4 for $40

Worn out 0.001 reading Lufkin mics......looked beat, rattled a bit.... $30 each.

Boxes with misc, sold by the box, for $30 to $90 per..... counterbores in one, counterbore noses in another...... Not listening to any comments even though SHE asked......

She said anything she doesn't sell at those prices is going on ebay....... Wished her luck and left.

She had been assured by her father how much that stuff was worth back when it was bought , and she wasn't taking a nickel less now......

Oddly, she had a pristine clean showroom-new Rockwell-Delta radial drill press (the round post, round arm woodworking one) for which she was asking only $85. I know those are not great, but that seemed low, particularly given the other prices.

I mentioned that it seemed low, to which she replied, "well, maybe but it's still there, so it can't be that low"...... where was that thought for the other stuff?????
                  Well you bring up an interesting subject...how should the uninformed price items they have that they have no idea what they are worth?

Many people use Ebay as a pricing tool...including everyone here.

Some day, we all will be leaving our tools behind and it is foolish to think that the people we leave behind will know what the items are worth. I have seen far too many people die unexpectly and the family left with the job of liquidating the shop. And before you say leave a list of what it is worth, I will tell you that method seldom works....from personal experience.

TMT

Comment

JT, Those sound like the pricing strategies at the only two used machinery that we have around here. One wants $5 - $10 for used, odd sized reamers ($8 for new L&I) while the other will (try to) sell you a heavily used Jacobs 14N chuck for $125. Den

Comment

I try to stay away from little old ladies.<LOL>

I once did a gun appraisal for an elderly widow who said I could pick one gun as payment, as I recall there were about 30 in the collection. I gave her the numbers and she used it to sell the whole thing to a dealer. He didn't give her retail but I suppose she needed a starting point. I was neither paid or got a gun out of that one - and she went to church with my grandmother - oh well...

A few years later with a different little old lady who inherited a combined welding, blacksmith and machine shop from her 97 year old dad when he passed. Same deal, pick out something and it was mine for the appraisal. She then started complaining about probate taking a long time and I couldn't take anything out until it was complete - yadda, yadda. About six months later, it went to auction without me knowing. Fortunately, most of that stuff was junk so I wasn't too disappointed. He did a lot of well drilling and farm work so he had a couple of lathes - both were small swing but very long beds, I suppose for pipe work. Both were S-B and looked to date from the 1920-30's or before.

No more appraisals for little old ladies.:-)

Comment

I have run into the Ebay pricing trap before.One was a little old lady that had a Monarch lathe forsale,it was a 12x36 WWII era machine in fair shape,but one had sold on Ebay and it went for $2200.She didn't tell me that until after I offered her $1500 for it at which point she got highly insulted.Never mind that she had no way to load it on a frieght truck,no way to ship it and was in a market that is 1,000 miles or better from a higher demand for the machine.I left it sit and it did for two years until someone hauled it off for scrap.

Some people aren't realistic and some get advice from people who don't know and take it as gospel.Another widow near here wanted me to tell her what a 1910 or so Rockford conehead was worth.It had a 5hp single phase motor on it and that was the only good thing about it.Coneheads are worth $300-500,this one was a $300 machine,but factoring in the motor I told her $600 tops.The response I got was "oh,so and so told me these things sell new for $20,000",I didn't tell her that he was full of it,I just saw the look on her face which I read as "he just wants to buy it cheap"and then broke the news to her that not only did I not want the machine,she would have to pay me to haul it off,that changed her attitude.Last I heard a local welding shop got it for $400.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The odd thing is I was out of there with a couple small items that weren't unreasonable.... A drill gage for a couple bucks and a small adjustable square.

If she had had any clue on prices, I would have bought probably at least $50 or $60 of stuff, since there actually was some good stuff there.

Just funny that she was at about half price on that drill press, and wouldn't budge to INCREASE price.

But she thought a couple one-off fixtures 2" square, to do I know not what, were worth more than the DP.

A shelf load of them totaled up to several hundred bucks in her world.

And, she was quite nice, not a "little old lady", she was a sharp cookie of a middle-aged lady, the daughter, I suppose, unless the old man married a lot younger woman.....since he died at 92 she said. She had done the ebay research, she just had not grasped the difference between "worth" , "value" and selling price, nor the influence of local market, the realities of a 2 day sale, or the effect of condition.

Like the little Taig I looked at a couple days ago. I want a small lathe for little bitty parts. This Taig was nice enough, except that it had sat in the basement for 6 years.... and had a nice coating of rust on every steel surface....

BTW, I decided I don't want a Taig, I'd rather have a Sherline I think.... or something better. Aside from the rust on this one, the Taig looks better in pics than in person.....
                          Last edited by J Tiers; 07-30-2006, 01:13 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

JT, I don't know much about Taig except for readings but own a Sherline (a bit older model) and recently bought three Sherlines to build special production machines. They saw pretty heavy production use for about 3 months straight and not a single motor or controller problem.

The motor and controller on newer Sherlines have a smooth, very low end speed with good torque. Their newer handwheels, laser engraved red anodize, are sharp looking and easy on the eyes too. The zero settable ones are worth having if possible.

Sherlines customer service has been superb. My original 3 jaw chuck was about 6 - 8 years old and only used a few times. It had significant runout and when I called them, they shipped me a brand new production chuck at no charge. Runout was excellent. Den

Comment

J Tiers, if you are looking for a good small bench lathe, swallow your pride and add the 6" Atlas to your list. One in good condition will run rings around either the Taig or Sherline.

I would not recommend a Sherline for a couple of reasons, they are small and light and limited in cutting power. Every operation done will require a different accessory, available only from Sherline at an inflated price. They do not use common lathe tooling.

They are capable of good work, and people like Jerry Keiffer do excellent work with them. As a first & only lathe, they are probably OK, but anyone used to using a real lathe will soon tire of fiddling with one.

The Taig is a little better, but the Atlas is a true engine lathe, uses readily available tooling, that you probably already have a good supply of, and is an actual, thread cutting, backgeared lathe, while the other two are variations of the jewelers or watchmakers style of lathe.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X