Pictures of lathe boring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of lathe boring

Hi... I am ron smith, the keeper of the Virtual Machine Shop.
    Go take a look
    http://www.jjjtrain.com

I am writing a new lesson on the VMS... its about boring on the lathe.
    I have plenty of pictures and videos of standard boring but I an looking for pictures of the unique type of boring one can do.
    For example, does anyone have a picture of the work peice on the cross slide and the boring bar in the headstock?
    Anything else that is non-standard?

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks and let me know

Ron

Ron, I have several older books with examples of "line boring". They may be old enough to avoid copyright issues or you could seek permission to use if necessary. I'll look for them later tonight.

There may have been some examples on this forum of boring with a boring head mounted in the headstock. Den

Comment

another one I remember

I think it was here last year.
      Somebody mounted small engine (single cyl) on the lathe cross slide.
      They then fashioned a long boring bar that chucked in one end, passed through the cylinder block and was supported by the center in the tailstock at the other end. The boring tool set in the middle of the boring bar.

The boring was accomplised by turning on the headstock and passsing the cylinder block along the ways via the carriage feed.
      Very trick!!! anyone who can get me that photo will get a creidt line on my site.

Thanks for reading

Ron

Comment

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Comment

Another approach was here;

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...ght=john+deere

The casting was such that a through bar could not be used, so a stouter bar mounted in the chuck only was required.

Also includes a toolsetting micrometer.
            Jim H.

Comment

Great stuff!!!!

Will you guys - if you are willing - email those pictures to me as an attachment? The email just says I can use them in the Virtual Machine Shop. Include your first and last name so I get the credit right.
              [email protected]

Thanks!

Ron

Comment

Sent ya some.
                Good luck.

rock-
                Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Go ahead and use any of the ones I posted. I don't post anything that I expect to keep control over. My name is Evan Williams. You can just copy them from this page.

Comment

I think the pic you're looking for is about 1/3 down on the second page of this thread:
                    http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...=engine+boring

Roger
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Evan I wish I could but

Originally posted by Evan
                      Go ahead and use any of the ones I posted. I don't post anything that I expect to keep control over. My name is Evan Williams. You can just copy them from this page.
                      I am not in control over what is kept here. Your permission may vanish some day.
                      If you email, that is differnet. I'll archive it.

Thanks

Ron

Comment

evan there was a thread where they said s-b lathes were very limited on what they can do. i guess no one told your lathe that. mine either.
                        i had a job where the 16" extrusions had to be bored in one pass not come in from each end. well i made a long boring bar and bolted the parts to carrage. did about 200 of them. no one could think of how i did it and i was not talking.

Comment

Ron,

I will e-mail you Tuesday when I am back at work. I don't do e-mail at home.

Comment

ronsmith,

Here are some shots of a Case engine frame I machined for a friend lately.

This casting is about 24 inches long and the cross head "tunnel" is about a foot long.

A piece of scrap hrs was centered and drilled for a tool bit for the boring bar.

A part like this must be setup carefully to insure the finished casting walls come out uniform and all features clean up properly.

This is my 13/40" gap bead lathe purchased nearly new in 1982.

I also have a "bar tell" gauge made of a micrometer head on a vee block for adjusting the tool.

A home made facing head with a "star" wheel was used to face the part in the same setup, assureing that joint face and bore are dead true.

The brass star when swinging past the pin in the bottom of the picture turns one point advancing the head a couple of thousanths.

Continued;

Kap
                            Last edited by kap pullen; 08-06-2006, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Here is another view of the star wheel at work.

Old cylinder boring rigs used a traveling boring head advanced with a star wheel similiar to some portable boring rigs.

When I was an apprentice boy a hundred years ago we had a 100" vertical boring mill setup for boring cylinders up to 72" diameter and 72 inches long.

The bar was near a foot in diameter.

Hope these pics help like the other fine work displayed here.

Well, looks like I posted these in the wrong thread. Oh well, it's late.

Kap

Comment

Working...
                              X