Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Things must be slow if we get three pages of drawings blocks, strings and pullies instead of making the bloody thing..................
    I already did John.

Leave a comment:

• kap pullen
    replied
    Originally posted by Elninio
    the force of tension in the wire is 100 lbs, picture it as a tug of war between the wire , 50 lbs in each direction, the pully in this case is just directing the motion. Another way to think of this is as if instead of 50/50, you then had 70/30 and then 90/10 etc.. until you came really close to 100/0, in that case it would be the simple case of a weight on a straight wire of 100 lbs.
    Elninio,

Based on your assumption, if you hook one end to the 50# weight, and the other end to the ground;

The tension is the weight of planet earth, plus 50#?

Just wondering.

Kap

Leave a comment:

• Elninio
    replied
    the force of tension in the wire is 100 lbs, picture it as a tug of war between the wire , 50 lbs in each direction, the pully in this case is just directing the motion. Another way to think of this is as if instead of 50/50, you then had 70/30 and then 90/10 etc.. until you came really close to 100/0, in that case it would be the simple case of a weight on a straight wire of 100 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Things must be slow if we get three pages of drawings blocks, strings and pullies instead of making the bloody thing..................

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As usual, you are partially correct. A man's wisdom comes from experience...which there is no substitute. All the books in the world only makes you "well read", however that does not make you smart.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    The quality of a man's education depends the wisdom of his teachers. This is especially so for the self taught.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I try to quote from personal experience, text books are only a starting experience for the uneducated. After a while, you do not need the text or pictures to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    ike I said...just repeating what someone else has already said or done.
    So then, how do you learn? Do just make it up as you go along? Or do you study the work that others have said and done? Have you ever opened a textbook?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Like I said...just repeating what someone else has already said or done.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    A definition of "common sense"

A form of evidence that is based on conventional wisdom, tradition, or someone’s personal philosophy or perspective. It is hard to judge the validity and reliability of common sense because little supporting evidence is involved. Most people judge the validity and reliability of common sense by the person citing common sense as the basis for a decision. However, common sense can be a very biased approach to decision making and means nothing more than “what is common to me makes sense.â€‌

Leave a comment:

• cam m
    replied
    Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. The trick is to identify which part doesn't change between rig ups.

Millman

Common sense, like common courtesy, isn't as common as it used to be or should be....
    Last edited by cam m; 08-09-2006, 01:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    {{stranger than others, apparently.}}. Yeah, then there's just people with no common sense.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    We all live in a world of our own making. Perception is 9/10ths of reality. Some of those worlds are a bit stranger than others, apparently.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    {{ machinist before he retired and he at first assumed the wrong answer.}} Actually, you have never met or talked to anyone in the REAL world. Have to feel sorry for you.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Cam,

I know. Net forces must be zero. I posed this because it is generally counterintuitive. This is especially so when you keep adding weight in a new configuration but the tension doesn't change. It is also directly relevant to some designs.

I asked this question today of an old friend of mine who was also a machinist before he retired and he at first assumed the wrong answer. It's funny how some of the simplest looking problems can be so easy to mistake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X