OT Toshiba laptop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard removal

The 1605 looks to be put together the same way as my old 105CS. If you carefully pry out the thin filler piece across the front of the keyboard you can lift up the keyboard and access the CMOS battery. You should be able to do this with your fingers - no heavy lifting or tools necessary. Do a web search and you should find hundreds of sources that the sell batteries. Hope this helps.

Glenn
    So many projects . . . so little ambition! Arroyo Grande, CA

Comment

To-shiz-ba Inc. service center is so hard to work with because of security. Apparently, it hasn't kept people from stealing them though. If you forget your password and mis-enter it three times, it locks up. To unlock it takes a trip to the service center and $150.

You would be better off having it stolen. If you have a low deductible, it's better than the paper weight you have now. Auto and/or home insurance usually covers personal items.

Of course, I'm not suggesting you do anything illegal.
      Last edited by CCWKen; 08-09-2006, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
        And this would be what?
        My bust, I was thinking service but saw operation manual...So solly....

Have you seen this cd:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSHIBA-Laptop-R...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh yeah, no ebay,,,,Hmmm.....Dunno..

I have the 1605 maintenance manual...You want. Got email. Want me to send it to you? Its 3meg....JRouche

Last edited by JRouche; 08-09-2006, 11:41 PM.
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Um..... SURE !

I have dialup.... OK, I'll live through it.

That looks like exactly the ticket.......

Yes

Si

Ja

Hai

etc.

And Thank you.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Done...JRouche

Comment

Ah..... Much bettah......

You are a scholar and a gentleman..... That is the good stuff, Mr Rouche....

I got it apart, and I can look it over now...

Thank you very much.... need anything I might have?

P.S.:

One thing became obvious relatively soon.... The good folks at Toshiba apparently forgot to put in teh screws that hold down the HDD...... There are two that don't come thru from anywhere else, that were not there..... AFAIK nobody has ever serviced the unit, so that would make it Toshiba's messup.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                Ah..... Much bettah......

Cool, glad the file came through, it was fairly large. JRouche

Comment

The good folks at Toshiba apparently forgot to put in teh screws that hold down the HDD..
                  You may want to look very carefully for a couple of "spare" screws stuck somewhere they shouldn't be.

BTW, for a few dollars you can get an adapter plug that allows you to connect the HD to a regular IDE cable. This will make it easy to run diagnostics using a desktop.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ja?

Where would such an item be obtainable?

I don't recall seeing that during the great Toshiba info search I did a few days ago, but then I wasn't looking for it exactly.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Any decent computer store that sells parts should have one. The electrical standard for laptop drives is the same as regular IDE 3.5" drives. Only the connector is different. The adapter shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 bucks.

Comment

Oh.... I didn't realize they were that standard.... means I may be able to replace it more easily, if it's bad.....

I'll go look for an adapter cable. Thanks for the tip.

BTW..... they mention having a CMOS/RTC battery, but never mention how to replace it(mine is clearly bad or missing). The backup battery is a real biggie, a 7 mAhr Li-Ion......

It must be mighty darn small, as I haven't yet seen it, and I've had nearly everything out of the case by now....

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Depending on what they used for the RTC and CMOS the battery may not be replaceable. There were a series of RTC/CMOS chips that had an integral battery. The Dallas DS12C887 is one example. You have to replace the entire module, if it is socketed. They also may have used a supercap instead of a battery. I have some supercaps the size of a dime and about 1/4" high that are .5 farad for backup use.

Comment

That had occurred to me..... and since I have yet to locate the RTC, is a possibility.

As a 7 mA hour Li-Ion, it IS a battery per the manual, but where that is stashed is another matter. The very fact that they are mute on the subject of replacement is an indicator of a possible issue there.

That chip, however, shows on teh datasheet an external battery....

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds...-DS12C887A.pdf
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 08-11-2006, 05:31 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Optional Encapsulated DIP (EDIP) Package with Integrated Crystal and Battery (DS12887, DS12887A, DS12C887, DS12C887A)
                              http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2680

Comment

Yeah, I see the EDIP version....

No E-dips visible, nothing that big......But there is a suspicious-looking metal-cased SMT item that otherwise looks like a capacitor.... very possible that is the battery. At 7 mAh and 3.3V it won't be very big....

No visible un-filled sockets or headers. Replacement sourcees have many models, but not this one. I am convinced it is an SMT part which is now bad.

In any case, it isn't a plug-in replacement type which is about all that is needed to be known.
                                Last edited by J Tiers; 08-11-2006, 11:40 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X