Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Toshiba laptop...

Sattelite 1605CDS....

Worked fine, then suddenly on boot-up continues to say " insert new disk and press any key" when it is supposed to be booting from the HDD. HDD light stays on.....

Naturally, I was about ready to install the improved cooling "modified" BIOS download.

Equally naturally, the thing probably isn't worth repairing.

Other data: It hasn't remembered its cmos well for several years. And, its battery discharges in a couple days if not used, even thoguh battery is new, and lasts an hour + if used after charging.

Does this indicate a dead HDD? Bios setting of HDD is not changeable, says it is a Fujitsu MHK2048AT-(PM).

Boot order seems not to matter, currently set to FDD, CDROM, HDD.

Boots to a certain point, then appears to be working, but pops up a red box that says "save to disk feture is disabled, run phDisk for information. FILE: create new. Partition: consult manual. Hit any key to exit".

After one does, it chunka-chunka's for a bit, and says "disk i/o error replace teh disk and then press any key." This with no disk in FDD

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Hard drive is done.
    Try and boot from a floppy to dos and fdisk /mbr. (by the way, this will wipe the drive)
    If you cannot access the HD it's toast.
    JRouce
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Well, maybe... that is the question....

HDD might be bad

OR some other part of the thing related to the HDD is toast, or at least unhappy.... like the PSU.

OR it has forgotten which drive it has, and is trying to do something the actual one won't do.....

Remember, the CMOS doesn't stay right....

Plus, it was operating in a hot area when it locked up..... I suspected heat problems.... After being cooled off in a cold area for a few minutes it was apparently happier for a while again... (new info painfully dragged out of the person who was using it at the time)

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

before you give up on the hard drive (got a back up right?) some of the linux stuff will read what windows won't. I had a hd stop working but was able to pull everything off using linux, made all kinds of squirrelly noises! linux on cd, boot from cd and networked to another computer where i copied stuff to. knoppix was what i used, disk image is an open source download.

I went through 4 hd and 3 mb with two to****a laptops, (although most we under warranty) - and they were the expensive Tecra business models! maybe a slow learner, but never again

edit - haha the board doesn't like my alternate spelling of toshiba

Comment

There's a CMOS battery under the keyboard. Have you ever replaced it?

Comment

"Remember, the CMOS doesn't stay right...."

Right, thats why I think you should boot to a floppy (dos). If the bios is not seeing the HD as boot due to a fault maybe it will let you boot to the A: drive then you can troubleshoot the HD. JRouche

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
              There's a CMOS battery under the keyboard. Have you ever replaced it?
              Not while I have had it.... I didn't get it new.

I have been trying to find out where it is without having to take the thing to bits.. Thanks for the info.

No fasteners near the keyboard, all on the back.... maybe both case halves come off together....

When I get time later I'll try booting it again.... it has had all night to cool off.

It also occurred to me that the HDD and floppy etc are the only things that require 12V...or at least non-5V If 12V etc has a problem, it will not run.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Do a Google search for your laptop's service manual and download it. It will have the procedures to take it apart. I have an old Tecra running my router and the charger plug on the m/b died. The manual showed how to take it apart and I was able to resolder a cracked board trace. They don't come apart like you think they would! I would have destroyed the thing trying to get it apart without the manual.
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Another weird tecra problem

While the gurus are here what do I do about a tecra that works fine with external monitor but will suddenly shut off with regular led screen.If the led goes off you can usually continue by toggling to external monitor.

Comment

You have a failing LCD backlight power supply. Probably not worth fixing unless on warranty.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The only place I have seen any service manuals when searching the web is on ebay...

1) I don't do ebay

2) the sellers probably will ship an unreadable 27th gen copy anyhow.... whatever they say.

Any suggestions for legitimate sources of service manuals for a sensible price?

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

1605 CDS

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ListType=Model

Comment

The very best information I can find is that:

1) Toshiba does NOT and WILL not sell a service manual for a laptop. EVEN to an independent repair outfit. Hardly to their own dealers.

2) Toshiba MAY , someday, FIX a laptop IF you get their shipping box, AND they have the parts in stock, AND the moon is in the right sign, AND you can wait forever + 1 day.

3) There ARE some repair stations... but MOST hate Toshiba laptops so much that they can barely stand to be paid to fix one.

4) If you DO pay to fix one, be prepared for the fix to be MUCH more expensive than the machine is worth to you.

5) As a result, ANY Toshiba laptop MUST be regarded as a disposable item, like a paper cup.... A very EXPENSIVE paper cup, but a paper cup all the same. Apparently TOSHIBA thinks they are like a paper cup.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
                            And this would be what?

All that is there is user manual, a few drivers, and instructions to take your under-warranty unit to an authorized service provider.

I had already found that page within 2 minutes of searching the web......

The money I have IN the unit, in terms of memory upgrade and new battery, plus cost of unit, probably is a little less than the repair cost at an ASP, from what I have been able to determine from the reports of others in various BBS, etc.

Even though there actually is a quite substantial amount involved.... which Toshiba apparently thinks is chicken feed.... Maybe it is, compared to what the total cost would be if I paid for a repair.

I don't know how to get an appropriate amount of swearing onto this message... it would need to be in arabic script.....

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

You guys are WAY, WAY beyond me, but for what it's worth I really cut down on my overheating problems on my Satellite model by simply blowing the dust out of the cooling fans. You would be amazed at how much had collected in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X