Increase in Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase in Spam

Many of you have probably noticed the increase in Spam we've received today. As a result, we've changed our Registration policy so that upon registering, an email is sent to the person, thus confirming their email address, where they follow the link back to our site to activate their account (I'm sure many of you have seen this before).

Obviously, it won't affect most of the people reading this, but for any new members, I'm sorry this became necessary, although, I think most Forums are going this route anyway.

Craig

That should help Craig, thank you.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Yes, thank you.
      I hate letting my verbal abuse toward Spammers fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Yes many thanks!

I hate not getting a change to practice some physical abuse on them thou
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

yep good job wondering of late where they where coming from all of a sudden like
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

It should be interesting to see if the email confirmation actually helps.
            Todd

Comment

Craig, thank you for making that happen. None of us appreciate the bombardment!
              Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

Thanks!

I agree with Wierdscience, I want to do some real, person to person damage to these "people."

My question about spammers, whether it's email, bulletin board, or junk mail in my PO Box (same thing) is, Does anybody ever really buy their crap? Do they really sell enough to make this worthwhile?

Comment

I've noticed an increase in other sites too.

Must be a competition going on. Wonder what the winner gets.

Comment

Speaking of revenge on spammers...

Have any of you guys ever heard the story about "The House that Spam Built"? In 2002, the Detroit Free Press ran an article about a local spam king that also included pictures of his million dollar house and Jaguar (so yeah, apparently you can make some bucks doing it). Some locals recognized the house, posted his address on the Internet, and signed him up for every junk mailing list they could. Other people followed suit. In a follow up article, the guy said that he was absolutely buried in junk mail, and complained about how overwhelming it was.

Unfortunately, I doubt he learned his lesson. Probably just moved.

Here's a like to a copy of the original article.
                      http://www.jr.co.il/articles/spamking.txt

Comment

Couldn't find a link to the follow up article I mentioned, but here's a quote from it:

"They've signed me up for every advertising campaign and mailing list there is," [Ralsky] told [Wendland]. "These people are out of their minds. They're harassing me."

Comment

if it's any joy they had him getting 3 bag of junk snail mail a day. they fed's got involed and tripped him up on some tax stuff and if I remember correctly he is either doing time or out on appeal lots all or most of his cars boats ect. Local metro Detroit Tv interviewed at the time and he was crying about the way people were treating. him and that people threatened his life and was making him misrable. and the police was alwas slow to respond to his complaints.
                          The only ones i felt sorry for where is neighbors having to put up with the sat trucks in front of thier houses for a week or so.
                          Glen
                          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I like how the Russian king of spam was dealt with. They found him in front of his computer with a few bullets in the back of his head. That is, if my memmory serves me correctly...

Comment

Should have taken Putins name of the mailing list the first time he was asked
                              Glen

Comment

Working...
                              X