Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are these tools(??) collected at airport security?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these tools(??) collected at airport security?

A news article about things collected at airport security checkpoints had a photo showing these:

They appear to be tools of some sort. At least, the handles look like pipe wrench handles to me. Any idea what they are?

I tried to enlarge them, but the definition gets pretty bad.

Here's the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321792/

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 08-13-2006, 02:26 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Roger,

Looks like a pipe or strap wrench to me too. One thing for sure though, if they WERE actual lethal weapons, airport security would have never found them!

Comment

I had thought they might be the hook jaw wrench Rigid makes for hex bolts & nuts, but compared to the hand grenade, they are very small. Maybe a miniature of some sort?
      Jim H.

Comment

Does anyone think it is right for a government steal your things, then auction them off to someone else? Hardly ever hear anybody getting mad about that. Just not right. The GUB' was stealing enough of our rights away, ...now this BS.

Comment

I don't know Millman look again some idiot was trying to take a hand grenade on board.I mean what must these guys be thinking about before entering a plane to turn up with a hand grenade oh well seems like there is hope for me after allAlistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

It's just the idea that they can take your stuff and sell it without your permission. I remember the Nazis doing that to the Jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Millman
              Does anyone think it is right for a government steal your things, then auction them off to someone else? Hardly ever hear anybody getting mad about that. Just not right. The GUB' was stealing enough of our rights away, ...now this BS.
              BS,there aren't stealing anything,you don't have to surrender anything from your person at the airport,you have a choice,leave it behind or don't get on a plane,simple.
              This reminds me of the people complaining about the delays at the airport this week,would you rather be late,or dead and on time?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me they look like normal 6" stilsen wrenches.The question I have is what exactly are these idiots thinking trying to pack this stuff onboard?That reminds me of the pictures of stuff taken after 9/11,people had ship augers,steak knives,caulkguns,tape dispensers,pitch forks and all manner of stupid crap in the're lugauge.

I can hear it now"oh,honey turn around and go back,I forgot to pack the garbage disposal"geez...

I also don't know what the big deal is with people bummed out about not being able to bring mouthwash,deoderant and etc on board either since the last time I flew nobody on board seemed to be using any of it anyway
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Come on now, WS, that attitude is what forces a mother to drink her own secretions to get permission to feed her baby. This BS is way out of hand, and what better way to control the masses...Put FEAR in their lives. Stealing is stealing. One of the commandments. It's all about control. Another thing, if they are not taking your stuff???Where are they getting all these items?

Comment

That isn't a hand grenade, it's a cigarette lighter. I want to know why they are confiscating sex toys. Exactly what sort of threat do they figure they present on an aircraft? I can think of a few lines but they would get bleeped by the ******* censor sensor.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Stealing?, don't think so. People willingly hand the stuff over. Simple, keep your stuff and leave the airport, no problem.
                    "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Originally posted by Millman
                      Come on now, WS, that attitude is what forces a mother to drink her own secretions to get permission to feed her baby. This BS is way out of hand, and what better way to control the masses...Put FEAR in their lives. Stealing is stealing. One of the commandments. It's all about control. Another thing, if they are not taking your stuff???Where are they getting all these items?

Since you don't know I'll try and explain it.We are fighting an enemy that has no problem hiding among women and children.If we leave them an opening in the form of not checking milk or formula they will exploit it.Mothers testing the're own milk,so what,she made it,it came from her and many are just flipping out the teet and lettin the little ones get the're fill in public anyway,big,f---ing deal

This is not fear mongering,it is common sense.Fear mongering would be shutting down air traffic nation wide.The treat is REAL after all.I think it is also safe to say that we DO NOW KNOW what happened to TWA 800 also.

It is also NOT STEALING,you have the choice,either ditch the stuff and get on the plane,or MISS your flight.If you don't want to ditch the stuff all you need do is turn around and make other arrangements.They are getting the items from people who are stupid enough to try and bring them on,finding out they can't and not wanting to give up that non-refundable ticket they saved $5 on.

I'm sure the government is getting rich selling toenail clippers and tiny little stilsen wrenches.The people that try to bring this crap on the plane are stupid,simple as that.I mean I can see someone finding a grey area on a stilsen wrench,but a machette?Get real Pyle.

Frankly I think carry ons should have been banned years ago,this would have stopped many of the hijackings and probably 9/11 also.The only thing that should be allowed is medication and even that should be checked.

Comment

tealing?, don't think so. People willingly hand the stuff over. Simple, keep your stuff and leave the airport, no problem.
                        And lose the value of you non-refundable ticket. Sure. For once I agree with Millman. They are confiscating stuff that has no bearing on security and safety. Exactly how is a blender a threat? I can buy a kyocera ceramic cleaver at any good knife shop, strap it to my leg and they won't find it except with a strip search.

At the rate it's going the next step will be to have everybody change into a hospital gown before boarding. While in some cases I wouldn't mind seeing that there are an overwhelming number of people out there the sight of which in a flimsy gown would make getting there much less than half the fun.

Comment

Frankly I think carry ons should have been banned years ago,this would have stopped many of the hijackings and probably 9/11 also.The only thing that should be allowed is medication and even that should be checked.
                          Nonsense. El Al has been hijacked once, just once in the late sixties. After that they installed airlock doors on the cockpit and put armed air marshals on the flights. One in uniform and one in plain clothes. The score since then is three attempts with IIRC two dead hijackers and a couple in prison. Nobody bothers to try anymore and the only thing they worry about coming on board is bombs and guns.
                          Last edited by Evan; 08-13-2006, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            Nonsense. El Al has been hijacked once, just once in the late sixties. After that they installed airlock doors on the cockpit and put armed air marshals on the flights. One in uniform and one in plain clothes. The score since then is three attempts with IIRC two dead hijackers and a couple in prison.
                            Exactly I agree totally,arm the pilots and the air marshalls,not here the anti-gun nuts are all over that one.Female senator was quoted as saying"are we sure we can trust a pilot to carry a gun?" To which my response was -do you trust him to fly the plane your on?The idiot media here has everyone more scared of a marshal or pilot with a gun,than a terrorist with a bomb.

Originally posted by Evan
                            Nobody bothers to try anymore and the only thing they worry about coming on board is bombs and guns.
                            Right,but bombs come in many different forms,the most recent versions were powerade bottles and digital cameras.Ya,there are all sorts of knives that can be smuggled on board,but after 9/11 I don't think that plan would go far against 80-90 passengers,the odds would not be in the hijackers favor.If I were on board he/she would end up gutted like a trout.

Also notice that the Israeli answer to terroism is diffrent than ours both US and Canadian.The past few weeks have proven this,Hezballa launched a few dozen rockets and took some hostages and Israel answered back almost immediately with bombing runs and artillary,they didn't wait for the UN,or world approval like p---ies do.
                            Last edited by wierdscience; 08-13-2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

The problem is, when we start making people throw away mouthwash, toothpaste, and deodorant, and start taking peoples possessions and selling them (no doubt many of them trivial and relatively harmless), we are accomploishing one thing....

LETTING THE TERRORISTIS WIN!!!

Lets break this down: a terrorist is a person who rules through fear. When 9/11 happened and people stopped going to malls and baseball games, the terrorists had a victory. When some asshat tried to light a shoe bomb on a plane, they stopped allowing lighters (but matches were ok.. go figure), the terrorists had a victory. The list goes on. They know they will never kill 300,000,000 Americans, but they CAN affect our way of life, the way of life they hate so much. And they ARE winning battles.

Every other week we hear about a "foiled" terrorist plot. I doubt even half of them were true. They have us running so scared that all they have to do is talk about doing something, and everyone one in America puts their head between their knees and crys. Suddenly we're losing more of our beloved rights and freedoms and for what? To appease terrorists that's what.

I'm glad I don't have to fly nearly as much for work as I did last year. If I was still flying on a weekly basis with all of this crap going on, I'd probably wind up going to prison for choking a TSA agent with my shoelaces. Oh crap, now they're probably going to ban shoelaces...

Comment

Working...
                              X