Lathe Chisel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Chisel Support

I use a 10â€‌ heavy South Bend lathe in my shop, primarily for metal and some plastic turning, as the need arises.
    I am in the middle of a project that requires some slender wooden handles to be turned, with some decretive portions along the axis. I am currently using turning chisels designed for wood turning, and they work very well, except the tool support I am using is cobbled-up R. Goldberg and not very satisfactory.
    Does anyone have a design for a nice turning tool support, for wood turning, with turning chisels on a metal lathe? If so please share.

Thanks

JDC:
    Why not find a piece if angle iron the right dimention to put your tool near center hieght then get or make a T nut to fit the slot on the lathe . Or just use a regular tooll in the tool holder and turn the cranks. I made a set of brass candle stick this way and made the curves free hand by eye. People asked if I used a CNC.
    TIN
    Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I made this one from a piece of cold rolled - I just take off the toolpost and stick it on the compound:

Here's more about it:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Mach.../toolrest.html
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

What setup do you use for your boring bars?

Stick a bar in the holder and let it only hang out the distance needed to rest the chisel on. This will minimize the vibration. Move the carriage as needed.
        Last edited by Mike Burdick; 08-13-2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X