Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z-axis pwr feed for mill

Question:

There is a reasonably priced Z-axis power feed for a knee mill on eBay, for "Bridgeport type mills". I have a Griz 9901 vertical mill that I would like to put a pwr feed on the Z axis (Knee) . It would probably require some modification to make it be compatible with the Griz, - - - but that would not be a major problem if it is not too extensive a project. Has anyone had any experience with one of these, or similar ?

eBay number 180017835514

Ken

http://www.thehermitsmachineshop.com

I have a Bestline al 300 s. It is only rated to 135lbs (400lbs max). I have it on my Bridgeport Boss CNC which has a knee that is larger than a "standard" Bridgeport knee. It lifts it easily. The al 500s should lift 150lbs. JRouche

http://www.bestlinepro.com/prod01.htm

Comment

Z-axis power feed

I have installed power feeds on all three axis on my mill.
      The Z axis seemed to take the longest to do , out of the three.
      maybe because my mill is not a bridge port. Either way , once you have them, its hard to imagine working with out them.
      I did mine, because my back just can,t handle all the cranking.

Cheers Paul
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Stuempges
        Has anyone had any experience with one of these, or similar ? eBay number 180017835514
        Hi Ken,

I installed one of these Asong power feeds on the Z-axis of my Burke Millrite. It's not quite as nice as the Servo power feed that came on the X-axis, but it works fine. I think Asong (mainland China) makes all the re-branded import power feeds.

The instruction manual is predictably atrocious. It's critical to set the gap correctly on the bevel gear. If you go to the Servo web page, you can download their installation instructions, which are excellent:

Servo Knee Feed Installation Instructions

Also, I made my own brass shims. The one's the came in the Asong box were pretty bad...

It is only rated to 135lbs (400lbs max). .. The al 500s should lift 150lbs.
        Those ratings are actually the stall torque in inch/pounds.

In the Servo specs, they indicate their 150 in-lb power feed (100 in-lb continuous) will lift the Bridgeport Series I knee, and their 200 in-lb power feed (150 in-lb continuous) will lift the Series II knee (which is massive!).

The Asong you linked is rated at 150 in-lb, so it should more than fine for your Grizzly Ken.

Cheers,

Robert
        Last edited by lazlo; 08-18-2006, 12:27 AM.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

"Those ratings are actually the stall torque in inch/pounds."

Yeah yeah, thats it, thats what I meant

Actually prolly a freudian slip. Moe power is what I want

JRouche

Comment

Working...
          X