Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing myself

First post. I'm mostly a boat guy with a woodshop. I just bought this Logan 1820 10" lathe, and I'll be climbing the learning curve.

It's been 30 years since I worked as a machine operator, hired by a one man shop in frozen Colorado to mill and turn parts for irrigation systems- ya know, those alien crop circles ya see from airplanes in the high desert.

This machine will keep all the other old ahrn running, is my hope. I think I got more collets than I'll ever use!

Here's the lathe:

Serial No. 71468 (found on the ways) - Anyone know how to date these?

I'll need a manual to disassamble and tune it up, and some suggestions on the best place to buy supplies and parts.

Cheers, Hugh
    Last edited by hughman; 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM.

Hugh, welcome to the group. Logan serial numbers can be found at Logan's generously maintained site: http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm Den

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome. As the new member, you are now required to send us all your tools and start over.

Just kidding, good stuff in here, enjoy.

rock-
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

having a lathe will make it easier to get off that dirty old dusty woodworking habit welcome to the forum
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Be forewarned !

Both metal working and these forums may become addictive.

Welcome

Comment

Step on in and make youself at home Hugh.You will find lots of good types here.
              Ken.

Comment

Welcome to the board!

I use my metal working tools to modify my wood working tools to make jigs and fixtures for welding to fix my metal projects that I screw up. So basically I do nothing. repeatedly, but it is fun.
                Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Welcome Hugh....Welcome, JRouche
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Welcome aboard the board.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. But I am glad to have you here as I'm sure all of us are.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

So, is it Hughman as in Hughman bean?

Watch out for some of the topics, we have a few bats hanging from the ceiling. Feel free to ask questions, we have a few Logan experts around as well. Now that I have graciously offered the assistance of others that I have never even actually met, welcome.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

More welcome

Welcome to this place of interest and information, I have a Montgomery Ward lathe made by Logan. Very similar to your model.

When I needed gears for the quickchange box I used standard Boston gears, standard bushings, and all standard bolts and screws. Good 'ol American replacement parts from anywhere. The old iron is good like that.

I got a manual from logan, for a high price and their parts are equaly high. Some of them frighteningly high. However; they will have anything you will need.

I have done a lot of work on that lathe and it is still true and strong. I think it will outlast anything modern I have. It's a simple machine that will give you a wealth of good service.

So... climb aboard and have a good time, this is a good place!
                          Norm'
                          Member C.A.L.S. Balt'
                          If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I have to "do the time" in the archives yet, but I'd like to survey your opinions on useful suppliers for parts and materials.

Comment

Hello Hugh.

Techshop, I make my own woodworking jigs and tools also.

Comment

Working...
                              X