Home Shop First Aid Kit Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Shop First Aid Kit Addition

Minor cuts, punctures, and lacerations from shop activities are common and usually treated with simple cleaning and bandaging techniques. However, serious injuries require much more agressive treatment.

The US Army recognized that controlling blood loss quickly translates to saving lives on the battlefield, and equipped each soldier's back pack with a zeolite coagulator. It has been highly effective and since widely adopted by the civilian medical community. Emergency Medical Technicians and police find it particularly valuable in saving lives.

I witnessed zeolite being used to control large area bleeding following skin cancer surgery. It produced an artificial scab that was sluffed off in about 6 days and left new skin beneath. The second episode was last night when my wife accidentially made a deep, 1" long cut, in her thumb that bled profusely. I applied QR Powder and lightly compressed the wound for 30 minutes. When uncovered, the bleeding had completely stopped and the cut site resembled a wound that had developed a natural scab after several days. It was then covered with a large Band-Aid for further healing.

Background references on zeolite and its medical benefits can be found by doing a Google search of "QR Powder". The QR product is made by Biolife, but other manufacturers sell much the same thing. It is inexpensive and I keep small packets of it in my shop, automobile, and home. I highly recommend it.

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting.

I always carry a couple of the large field dressings around in my bag , and have one handy in my shop.

Comment

Rather an odd first post. Are you trying to promote a product?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

well i wondered that,
        but he has filled out a profile so maybe hes just trying to get started ,time will tell....

Comment

Regardless, promotion or not, I am glad to hear about it. Was not aware of it.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Cyanoacrylate

No medical expert,

Cyanoacrylate, (Krazy Glue) was first developed for similar purposes. I believe by the military, for use in the field of battle, prior to the person being transported to a hospital, though I could be wrong. It is now accepted and used in hospitals where stitches, staples are less than ideal, or would cause additional scarring or where a dressing would be cumbersome.

I thought it was strange when my daughter had a laceration above the eye from a frisbee "sutured" at the ER with "Krazy Glue". It worked though, took about a month for the glue to wear off. Hardly any trace of the injury.
            Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

ER, you are correct.
              And old, former Navy trained Hospitalcorpsman!
              John B

Comment

The applications are different. Cyanoacrylate was first deployed in Vietnam and is to take the place of sutures, especially in the field. It isn't suitable to control wide area bleeding such as from severe road rash. Looking at the web site for this the QR powder is primarily for stopping bleeding, not for closing wounds.

I have not heard of the product before either and it is of special interest to me as some members of my family have a factor K clotting deficiency which this material is designed to address.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I has seen people whos face was put back together with Cyanoacrylate after a car wreak. It did a very good job.

Comment

Around 20 years ago I got a teensy drop of cyanoacrylate on my eyeball, and it stung like hell and scared me into a quick trip to the hospital. The eyeball doctor said that if I were to get glue in my eye, that was a good kind because they used it in eye surgery.

I recall first hearing about the stuff around that time when I was a high school student in the late 50s. My high school was directly across the street from Stanford Research Institute, so we were always hearing about cool new technical stuff like lasers, etc.

Cyanoacrylate is another of those great accidental discoveries. Here's a bit more from an internet source:

"Superglue or Krazy Glue is a substance called cyanoacrylate that was discovered by Dr. Harry Coover while working for Kodak Research Laboratories to develop an optically clear plastic for gunsights in 1942. Coover rejected cyanoacrylate because it was too sticky.
                    In 1951, cyanoacrylate was rediscovered by Coover and Dr Fred Joyner. Coover was now supervising research at the Eastman Company in Tennessee. Coover and Joyner were researching a heat-resistant acrylate polymer for jet canopies when Joyner spread a film of ethyl cyanoacrylate between refractometer prisms and discovered that the prisms were glued together.

Coover finally realized that cyanoacrylate was a useful product and in 1958 the Eastman compound #910 was marketed and later packaged as superglue."

Later, it did great service on the battlefield. Too bad the field surgical uses had to wait through the second half of WWII and the Korean Conflict.

Now that I think of it, it's really too bad we mark time periods in our history by wars. . .
                    Cheers,

Frank Ford
                    HomeShopTech

Comment

You are a bunch of cut ups. I'll keep an eye out for the crazt glue.

Comment

now that does sound like a handy product to have around - for me anything that doesn't need stitches ... well i just dont worry about it. Usually i let it bleed for a few minutes (good way of getting all the rust and bits of metal out) then i wrap a clean papertowel around it and call it yankee doodle! Zeolite sounds like a good idea for more serious wounds as does the crazy glue - especially for avulsions. I had a bad one a while back that the doctor said couldn't be stitched because of the location and the fact that it was an avulsion. Couldn't get it to stop bleeding for a really long time though. Turns out another doctor said i really should have gotten stitches but it was a difficult suture to make and the urgent care doc wasn't really good enough to do it. I bet super-glue would've done it though.

Comment

The doctor who did my dad's lung operation had success with using medical grade "Super Glue" for heart surgery. The doctor is a heart/lung surgeon and always on the cutting edge.

Frank

Comment

Shop first aid? Hmmm..... The second most important first aid item in my shop is the precision tweezers. That is to get the metal slinters out of my hands, fingers, or whatever when I get that stinging feeling.

For bleeding, a dirty shop rag works well! Krazy glue works well for lacerations. Hopsitals are using it more and more these days because it can be implemented faster and with less skill. As with anything, it has its limits.

In a pinch, electrical tape works well, duct tape can be used if needed (it's hell on the hair, though), and clean rags can cover large areas as well as can shirts. Also, if one was to ever come up on an accident in a public area (such as a roadway) and needed bandages, womens' sanitary napkins work very well for wound dressings.

Back to my shop first aid kit; the most important in it is forethought and common sense!
                            Why buy it for $2 when you can make it for $20

Comment

A plastic zip lock bag is handy in case of an amputation to carry part to ER
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X